List Mgmt. 2017 Trade & Free Agency Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We couldn't land them when we were making prelims either. We don't offer enough media attention/personal sponsorship deals/paths into high visibility careers after football. I think that's a major deterrents for star players and their managers would be telling them that money now at North might not be worth as much as less money at Collingwood or Richmond in the long run.

Hmm dal santo, Carey, king all work in the media. Longmire, Clarkson, Simpson reasonably successful senior coaches, plenty of other assistant coaches and support staff role. But hell with the sort of coin we're offering who needs any of those jobs. Do what you like, he'll go to uni and study to be a brain surgeon if you so desire! Up to individuals to drive their own careers post football, and they are in the enviable position of having household names and a strong financial position to leverage off and do what they truly love or are interested in regardless of what it pays.

North. Stk.
Pick 4 <--> pick 8 + Stk '18 first rounder.

We drop 4 spots but pick up points for next year and Saints end with pick 4 and 7 for an elite mid and whatever at 7.
Which side would says no? (Probably both)

North. Stk.

We drop 4 spots but pick up points for next year and Saints end with pick 4 and 7 for an elite mid and whatever at 7.
Saints won't do that as deep down they realise they could easily finish bottom 4 next year without Reiwoldt and Montagna. Basically meaning we get pick 8 for free as well as potentially a better pick in a better draft.

North. Stk.

St Kilda would be mental to even consider that.

With the dust about to settle on the GWS season, I wonder whether they'll come to a very different conclusion about their list and prospects than they had 24 hours ago.
Put Cameron, Mumford and Shiel in that team and it could have been a different result. My tip is they will go again with the same list.

Put Cameron, Mumford and Shiel in that team and it could have been a different result. My tip is they will go again with the same list.

Dunno about Mummy & Lobb in the same side, but Cameron, Shiel & Smith and they would have won easily.

I think they will go with Lobb, with Patton backing up as the forward/ruck.

Last edited:
Dunno about Mummy & Lobb in the same side, but Cameron, Shiel & Smith and they would have won easily.

I think the will go with Lobb with Patton backing up as the forward/ruck.
Mumford as the aggressive ruckman with a big body would have been very good to have in the prelim.

Yep. Their time of playing Mummy, Lobb, Patton and Cameron in the same side is over.

Lobb is a very soft ruckman - makes goldy look like a hard ass

Apparently we're in late for Smith, but you'd think we'd have to significantly overpay to get him to nominate us ahead of Carlton, Collingwood and Geelong. We could definitely offer him the full time midfield role he wants though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apparently we're in late for Smith, but you'd think we'd have to significantly overpay to get him to nominate us ahead of Carlton, Collingwood and Geelong. We could definitely offer him the full time midfield role he wants though.

Unless we think he can play almost full time midfield I'm not sure he's required.

There was mention of possible PCL issues and reco required last week or so on the radios. Anyone hear anything about this?

A pacy receiver type who kicks goals and breaks lines? It's the biggest weakness on our list.

Personally, think he's a small forward and we have plenty of them.

I agree he's a receiver, I agree he kicks goals, I agree he has pace but disagree he breaks lines.

Also think he's a selfish little prick that needs to improve his attitude.

Like I said, unless we think he can play majority midfield he's not required. He may be able to because he's never had that chance st GWS.

Clubs rush to secure gun Giant Devon Smith and Pie Taylor Adams could sway his decision
JAY CLARK, Herald Sun
an hour ago
Subscriber only

DEVON Smith is weighing up offers from as many as five clubs to return home to Victoria in next month’s trade period.

The in-demand goal kicker was overlooked for a finals berth and looks set to split from Greater Western Sydney after his exit meeting this week.

Collingwood, Carlton and Geelong are the frontrunners to land the gun forward-midfielder, although North Melbourne and St Kilda have also come late after missing out on brilliant midfielders Dustin Martin and Josh Kelly.

While Carlton has significant salary cap room and a major midfield role in mind for the clever ball winner, his friendship with Magpies’ vice-captain Taylor Adams could yet help sway the former Geelong Falcon to join Collingwood.

Smith, 24, would be part of a solution for Collingwood’s forward line problems after ranking bottom four for overall pressure and ground ball gets for a large part of the season.

GWS will likely push for a pick inside the top-20 for Smith based on his elite speed, goal nous and pressure skills as he enters the prime part of his career.

The man who finished equal-second in the Giants’ best and fairest in 2014 also has his sights set on playing an expanded midfield role where he dominated in the TAC Cup.

7b496590ce8cdcd0094ad88f45302f5a

Devon Smith has a big decision to make in coming weeks. Picture: Getty Images

There has been significant interest in Smith all year and the decision to leave the 176cm jet out of the Giants’ three finals games looks set to crystallise a belief he should seek a fresh start closer to family in Lara, Victoria.

The Cats have also had long-held interest in Smith since his draft year but their ability to secure him is complicated by their efforts to nab exiled Western Bulldog Jake Stringer and Gold Coast champion and father son favourite Gary Ablett.

Pick No. 20 has been earmarked for Stringer.

If livewires Steve Motlop or Daniel Menzel left the club as free agents, the Cats could use the second-round compensation draft picks to trade to Greater Western Sydney for Smith.

The tough ball-winner was considered one of the competition’s most promising young small forwards when he booted 26 goals 15 behinds in a breakout 2014 campaign.

But the No. 14 pick in 2011 has been hit by knee injuries in recent years and was disappointed to lose his spot in the Giants forward line after their Round 23 loss to the Cats this year.

He has averaged 20 possessions and one goal a game across his 109-match career.

The Giants face a fight to keep all of their talented youngsters in a tight salary cap and accommodate a significant pay rise for star Toby Greene when his deal expires next season.

Id like one of the brayshaws.

Get mixedup but the one that kicked the goal from 50. Has awesome skills too.

With the dust about to settle on the GWS season, I wonder whether they'll come to a very different conclusion about their list and prospects than they had 24 hours ago.

That perhaps, just perhaps success is not guaranteed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back