Mod. Notice 2018 finals ticketing - update (10/9): semi-final member tix on sale now (AFL members tomorrow)

Remove this Banner Ad

Great thing is - since they have deleted that tweet their most recent tweet now states "Site is up and running. Thousands of fans are transacting right now".

Great job, social media team!

Yes. Comical Ali surely leads their social media team. I think "transacting" may mean, sharpening pitchforks, finding a noose, and rigging up a gallows. Not the Lynch mob I was hoping to be a part of.

Finally some common sense.

Q. Why are all games on sale at once?
A. The new times to be communicated shortly will ensure the SCG final and two MCG finals will be released at different times.

Notice that there was no direct answer to the question though?

Weak as piss.

Is there anything to stop them from utilising a cloud based provided like AWS for certain sale events? Would it make a difference?

Maybe someone with a bit more technical knowledge could chirp in.

I'm not someone with technical knowledge but work in the industry.

Ticketek runs off MongoDB Atlas, which is a database-as-a-service offered by MongoDB. Supposedly the advantage of cloud infrastructure is that as demand increases, you can add extra capacity and as demand tails off, you can reduce the extra capacity - it's called "elasticity".

Clearly someone within Ticketek or their contractor, MongoDB, miscalculated the level of demand this morning, especially as the AFL set a four hour window for club members to buy tickets first.

Here's a link to a press release put out 12 months ago by Ticketek on their move to MongoDB:

http://www.t-e-g.com.au/2017/09/05/ticketek-migrates-to-mongodb-atlas-to-improve-digital-experience/

MCG via its twitter account suggesting tickets will not be back on sale for club members today.

Ergo, watch the system crash again tomorrow when AFL members try to buy their tickets.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Matt Cudworth is the Chief Technology Officer at Ticketek. Here's an interview with him from July 2018 about how Ticketek prepares for peak traffic events (e.g., finals).

https://itbrief.com.au/story/exclusive-interview-matt-cudworth-how-ticketek-crunches-big-numbers/

I believe those details are out of date. Latest peak traffic preparation method:

shutterstock_156983825-CROPPED.jpg

'Our platform is internationally recognised for its reliability and scalable transactional capability'

Lol
Great work BH, you genuinely should email that quote to as many media outlets as you can, see if anyone is willing to embarrass Ticketek.
The amount of busy peoples time they have wasted today with their incompetence is staggering.

'Our platform is internationally recognised for its reliability and scalable transactional capability'

Lol

Internationally recognised = a shop that makes tea towels in Equatorial Guinea checked it out and went ‘hey this system is okay!’.

I had mine in my email inbox after 5 minutes, was well prepared but think I am the only one as it was seats 1+2 literally in the first bay. Dont hate me.

All my scorn is reserved for Ticketek, not fellow Hawkers who endured this morning and prevailed.

those are the old numbers now that people are in general fatter its only 1681

I always do the maths on the average weight/maximum number of people elevators have listed to see if they are well out of whack now that people are generally heavier.

Yup, I am a weirdo.

Was I the only one who got their tickets within 2 minutes of it opening at 9? Despite me freaking out about the 500 tickboxes I didn’t tick each time I hit ‘submit’! :drunk:
Hopefully all those affected can get some tickets in the end. Good luck, guys.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back