Mod. Notice 2018 finals ticketing - update (10/9): semi-final member tix on sale now (AFL members tomorrow)

Remove this Banner Ad

Good ol' early 2000s Australian internet speeds. Thanks a lot baby boomers - I am going to eat 5 ******* smashed avo lunches today you pricks.
It's not the internet.
Ticketek's servers cannot handle the demand.

It's like feeding time at a 20,000 head pig farm with 1 bathtub sized trough.

Would be interesting to know how many man hours Ticketek have been responsible for burning today. I can categorically tell you I have not done one minute of worthwhile employment.
I'm on leave.
It's infinitely worse wasting my me time!

It's not the internet.
Ticketek's servers cannot handle the demand.

It's like feeding time at a 20,000 head pig farm with 1 bathtub sized trough.

Which infuriates me that Ticketek doesn't have the servers to combat this. They sure as shit aren't using their profits to invest in a capable social marketing team. If you want to charge exorbitant transaction fees - at least invest in better servers.

Which infuriates me that Ticketek doesn't have the servers to combat this. They sure as shit aren't using their profits to invest in a capable social marketing team. If you want to charge exorbitant transaction fees - at least invest in better servers.

Is there anything to stop them from utilising a cloud based provided like AWS for certain sale events? Would it make a difference?

Maybe someone with a bit more technical knowledge could chirp in.

it's because there is no competition
it doesn't matter how much bad publicity they get over this, they are your only choice for purchasing the tickets due to their deal with the MCG

So why spend money on infrastructure and cut into your profits when you don't need good customer service to make your money

it doesn't matter how much bad publicity they get over this, they are your only choice for purchasing the tickets due to their deal with the MCG

So why spend money on infrastructure and cut into your profits when you don't need good customer service to make your money

This is why one of my previous rants here lamented about duopolies. It is frustrating for consumers when you have no genuine choice. Ticketmaster and Ticketek are both utterly horrid.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I read on twitter that the AFL/MCC Ticketek contract was recently renewed.
They should at least put compensation clauses in it for fckups like this.
First stuff up - warning, 2nd -no fees that week, 3rd no fees that month etc.
If it's costing Ticketek millions then they'll fix it.
I think the AFL/MCC carry a lot of the fault here.

Finally get through and it’s saying not anough tickets available for my order of 2 - is this bloody sold out or just one of the faults

Pretty sure sales are suspended while Ticketek sort their stuff out. Multiple tweets from the clubs and the AFL indicate this to be the case. No ETA on when sales will resume, but supposedly later this afternoon.

Yes, but the AFL cares more about TV ratings then attendance figures. Proof is in the pudding. This year is just a rehash of what's happened in previous years, magnified by the fact it's Richmond v Hawthorn when you have 180,000 members combined potentially capable of buying tickets.

I think the Ticketek twitter page is run by this guy:

For most of the 3 hours between 9am-midday they are telling us the site is working fine. There was a brief "Club membership purchases closed" message, but people freaked out thinking it meant they had sold out, so they deleted that. Their social media team is as competent as their backend devs and sysadmins.

this is actually an epic joke. WHY THE **** WOULD YOU RELEASE ALL 4 MATCH TIX AT THE SAME TIME?!?!!?!?!!!!

Yep, this. Given we have an extra week (due to the stupid bye week) why the rush to put the tickets on sale for everyone this morning and only this morning?

What a debacle, probably just as well I can't go but I feel for those of you trying to get tickets. Hang in there!

They've waved booking fees before like in 2016, whoever was lazy and decided to schedule all sales at the same time and make the members presale window so short when they have an extra week of lead time for finals should be fired though

Just a warning to those who miss out on tickets, whatever happens DO NOT PURCHASE TICKETS THROUGH VIAGOGO. This is a shonky seller with highly elevated charges and you’ll be lucky to receive any tickets at all. Just checkout the web to see what others think of them.

If ScoMo wants to unite the Liberal Party, he should require all Liberal MPs to purchase tickets to attend Parliament through Ticketek. That'll unite them quick smart.

I think the Ticketek twitter page is run by this guy:

For most of the 3 hours between 9am-midday they are telling us the site is working fine. There was a brief "Club membership purchases closed" message, but people freaked out thinking it meant they had sold out, so they deleted that. Their social media team is as competent as their backend devs and sysadmins.

Great thing is - since they have deleted that tweet their most recent tweet now states "Site is up and running. Thousands of fans are transacting right now".

Great job, social media team!

Remove this Banner Ad

Mod. Notice 2018 finals ticketing - update (10/9): semi-final member tix on sale now (AFL members tomorrow)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back