Analysis 2018 List Management discussion Part 1 (continued in Part 2 - see OP for link)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ve maintained the opinion he’s been close to if not the worst captain (as a captain not player) since I was old enough to sing Lily of Laguna:

Fitzpatrick, Johnston, Maclure, Kernahan, Bradley, Ratten, McKay, Kouta, Whitnall, Judd, Murphy. It’s him vs Maclure for the wooden spoon there.
Why do they need to be ranked. He's been unfortunate to hold the mantle during a poor period for the club, yet has been the preference during two separate regimes and several very different playing groups. While many have jumped shipped, he has stayed. Nothing in that suggests a poor leader.

Don't have to worry about the priority pick anymore. Gerard Whateley just said it would be an outrage.

This guy.............

Seems to use Carlton as his medium for his ire this year.

There are others who want to see clubs rise off the bottom quicker with draft assistance with PP’s (start of 2nd round) for multiple consecutive years out of the top 8.

Would be nice to hear D.King vs Whately on this subject.

Seems to use Carlton as his medium for his ire this year.

There are others who want to see clubs rise off the bottom quicker with draft assistance with PP’s (start of 2nd round) for multiple consecutive years out of the top 8.

Would be nice to hear D.King vs Whately on this subject.
It's only since he got a bake from Carlton people for his part in getting the Curnows back in the shit.

He's lashing out.

In years past he's been the MC at a number of CFC functions, maybe someone pulled his chain or he's making that much coin now he can tell us to get ****ed. SEN + FOX + print, he must be on a mozza.

It's only since he got a bake from Carlton people for his part in getting the Curnows back in the shit.

He's lashing out.

In years past he's been the MC at a number of CFC functions, maybe someone pulled his chain or he's making that much coin now he can tell us to get ******. SEN + FOX + print, he must be on a mozza.

He’s got to be a little more $EN$ationali$t now with $EN hours to fill.
Outrage over our Friday night games, list rebuild, Curnows’, PP.

Don't have to worry about the priority pick anymore. Gerard Whateley just said it would be an outrage.

This guy.............
I bet he is one of those leading the charge for Murphy to leave. Happy for our good players to get snapped up by top clubs yet doesn't want us to get any help. I wonder if he felt this strongly when the AFL "helped" Melbourne?

I bet he is one of those leading the charge for Murphy to leave. Happy for our good players to get snapped up by top clubs yet doesn't want us to get any help. I wonder if he felt this strongly when the AFL "helped" Melbourne?

Enter the S.Motlop overcompensation last year for Geelong too.

Alright from my understanding, Murph wants to stay but wants 3 years, the club is not budging at 2...He was hoping to play out the second half of the season and regain some form to push his claim, but obviously his re injured foot has put a spanner in the works...hence he has now 'got some thinking to do'.

Daresay that thinking is his manager testing the market for a 3 year deal somewhere else. Doubt he will find many suitors with his banged up body and at his age, but will be intresting to see how this play's out. 2 years with an option for 3 if he meets paramaters ala daisy as few years back ? Seems at fair compromise IMHO.

A lot of negativity on this board about the bloke, but he has stuck by the club during a very dark period with not many role models around to help him develop and grow as a player hinself (Judd the exception) . Would love to see him get to 300 games in the navy blue!
Very few players make it to 34 and with Murphs history of injuries why would the club be confident he will hold up for that 3rd year especially after whats happened this year. He needs to take 2 and he will get a 3rd if warranted but theres no way he gets a 3 year contract and for a captain to walk out on a club is a rarity.

He is for mine. You put Jed Lambs brain in Garlett's body and you have a damn good player. Not sure missing a year is an excuse. He plays with no aggression, competitive hunger and doesn't do team things like chase tackle and apply pressure. He doesn't go to the contests and doesn't make enough. His intent and attitude are poor and there's no excuse for it. That's why he is in the VFL and the less talented Lamb is in the best 18. Lazy, soft, undisciplined football with talent never trumps effort. Only flys in the lower levels.

We have a lot of youngsters with talent and the same problems and it's up to our coaching and having strong leadership to mould those youngsters into strong competitors so we don't have talented players fail at this level like we have had the last 20 years.

Garlett is a massive disappointment because he has the talent and the fitness and doesn't perform for these very reasons.

This is why I think it wouldn't hurt chasing a senior body or two who will give real leadership on the field and on the track.

We want to be like Hawthorn. This is the next part of copying their structure IMO.

I see a very young immature individual that has been through hell in the last 12 months and still settling in Victoria. He also started at the GCS and I rate their development of players very poorly.

IMO he is as raw as a Dow or O'Brien and deserves the same consideration. I have seen him play some very impressive football. The talent is definitely there. He now needs to find that confidence and attack the ball/contest when it's his turn.

I just think some on here are unbelievably quick to judge.

Was said by some here in recent years that the club should have "moved Murphy on" for decent compensation.
It's too late for that now , if he walks we'll receive very little or nothing at all if we land a FA.
Whatever , if he remains at Carlton , the captaincy will be passed on and he should be offered an at maximum 2 year contract on appropriate salary for an ageing injury prone outside mid/small forward.

Maybe we need Navy Nonna.

She can fight crime with pasta.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app
No, she smacks them with the sauce spoon until they stop.

Yes it does - with the $900k Murph is reportedly on would put it towards CCurnow + Cripps + FA
Bullshit he is, and bullshit he'd be expecting anything more than $600k with incentives to stay on the park.

In Footy Journo land, apparently Thomas, Murphy, Gibbs and Cripps made up over 30% of our salary cap.

Was said by some here in recent years that the club should have "moved Murphy on" for decent compensation.
It's too late for that now , if he walks we'll receive very little or nothing at all if we land a FA.
Whatever , if he remains at Carlton , the captaincy will be passed on and he should be offered an at maximum 2 year contract on appropriate salary for an ageing injury prone outside mid/small forward.

You were one who said we should move him on yes? To me it was either Gibbs or Murphy last year, both was a bit much in terms of voluntary pain. Plantar fasciitis certainly doesn't help ongoing list management decisions, I'd like him to hand over the captaincy to Cripps and stay a one club player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You were one who said we should move him on yes? To me it was either Gibbs or Murphy last year, both was a bit much in terms of voluntary pain. Plantar fasciitis certainly doesn't help ongoing list management decisions, I'd like him to hand over the captaincy to Cripps and stay a one club player.

Was in favor of moving him on for good compensation a number of years ago.
That compensation would both now and in the future have served the club better.
Nothing personal , just list management .
When undertaking a list rebuild of this magnitude , pain is just a part of the staple diet ...

Was in favor of moving him on for good compensation a number of years ago.
That compensation would both now and in the future have served the club better.
Nothing personal , just list management .
When undertaking a list rebuild of this magnitude , pain is just a part of the staple diet ...

Yeah I get it, it comes down to the old 'don't go the full Melbourne' thought process. Murph when fit and in form provides what our side largely doesn't have. Smart offensive running and hitting targets. The health of his body is the unknown element with this discussion though.

Yeah I get it, it comes down to the old 'don't go the full Melbourne' thought process. Murph when fit and in form provides what our side largely doesn't have. Smart offensive running and hitting targets. The health of his body is the unknown element with this discussion though.

Think the term may become "don't go full carlton" soon enough...

Think the term may become "don't go full carlton" soon enough...

I think we addressed our age profile okay, just didn't find much quality amongst our mature age acquisitions. 'Don't go full Carlton' with incompetent recruiting that created the need for a rebuild certainly. Do you feel Murphy should be let walk?

Why do they need to be ranked. He's been unfortunate to hold the mantle during a poor period for the club, yet has been the preference during two separate regimes and several very different playing groups. While many have jumped shipped, he has stayed. Nothing in that suggests a poor leader.

I appreciate your point of view. He’s an average on field leader, has no vocal or directional presence between sirens (I’ve been to most of his games as captain and sit close enough to be able to see who’s vocal or who’s not. Cripps is instructional. Docherty. Simpson. Even SPS is more instructional than Murphy.

I suppose another way to look at it is compare him to the list of those before and regardless of the state of the team, he just pales in comparison to those others and even his peers at other clubs. A mouse amongst men.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back