Mega Thread 2018 List Management, Free Agency & Trade thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
yeh i think we get done on the spread a lot - need more pace on the inside Shill, blakely (not super quick but has a good burst) and Bennell going through there more often would improve us.

Brayshaw will be a good replacement for neale. I think neales defensive work has been questioned throughout his career (I can recall a few times Ross has been less than glowing in praise of a high posession neale game).

Probably need collingwood to win tomorrow and it'd cost us an early 2nd rounder
If Neale leaves for picks 4 and 22 then on trade pick 22 for Langdon.

We actually might better of.

Combined with Langdon and Conca and Smith/Rankine/Rozee will be better than Neales output.

Just on Conca you will find a tonne of mixed opinions on him on our board. I think a fair summary of him is that he is a workhorse that will tackle, run and grind all day. He will never be a 30 posession midfielder consistently. In fact I'm not sure he's had a 30 posession game before. If you want to see his best work our Hawthorn game mid year was some of his best. His worst unfortunately was the Collingwood preliminary final. He butchers the ball under pressure and can panic with ball in hand. At that point you'll find where all the negativity on our board stems from. It's frustrating that at this point in his career he hasn't shaken that off. On a positive note though he managed to get himself fit and playing games this year not hampered by soft tissue injuries. In the past he's always been flaky injury wise.

Just a point of order here. How can anyone predict the quality of a draft before they have even done a pre season?

Last year's was supposed to be fairly average but if you look at the top 15 picks, most are playing a lot of footy, some are playing some really good footy.

It's one of those things that really bugs me for some reason.

As for Hogan, if he wants to come surely we get it done. He is a known quantity. We could end up with another Morabito/ Pitt situation.

The top end of the draft, especially in regards to mids/smalls is normally pretty accurate.

For example last years draft was touted as having an exceptional top 6 (Rayner, LDU, Dow, Fogarty, Brayshaw & Cerra) that was as good as any...that is looking pretty close. This year it's being touted as a top 7/8 before it equalises ...the Luko/King brothers probably add a bit more risk as the bigs are always a massive ?

I know it is chook lotto to a degree, however to me the value of pick 6 compared to pick 9 is far wider than comparing pick 9 to pick 15 in this draft. If we get two picks in the top 6, we just have to take one of them and maximise class (Cerra) or character/work rate (Brayshaw).

I think it would be naive to think that we have exclusive dealings with Hogan should he want to return to Perth.

West Coast would get Hogan, trade Brander to GWS where he was playing in their academy for Lobb and GWS's first then they are all sorted for both post-Kennedy and the next year.

WC did come out publicly 2 years ago saying that they had been chasing Hogan hard.
"WEST Coast wants Melbourne forward Jesse Hogan and says it has been pursuing him for a "long period of time".

West Coast football manager Craig Vozzo told 6PR on Saturday that the Eagles will go hard for Hogan.

"We've been in constant dialogue with his management over a long period of time. We've rated Jesse very highly from the time he was 16, 17," Vozzo said.

"If that was an opportunity, it's one that our football club would strongly consider and explore."

Strangely that has been deleted off their website (recovered link), and just as strange the West Australian article has deleted the part where Jesse Hogan said he if he was going to come back to WA it would be to Freo

Just on Conca you will find a tonne of mixed opinions on him on our board. I think a fair summary of him is that he is a workhorse that will tackle, run and grind all day. He will never be a 30 posession midfielder consistently. In fact I'm not sure he's had a 30 posession game before. If you want to see his best work our Hawthorn game mid year was some of his best. His worst unfortunately was the Collingwood preliminary final. He butchers the ball under pressure and can panic with ball in hand. At that point you'll find where all the negativity on our board stems from. It's frustrating that at this point in his career he hasn't shaken that off. On a positive note though he managed to get himself fit and playing games this year not hampered by soft tissue injuries. In the past he's always been flaky injury wise.
thx. Awesome, we need another Nick Suban. That will keep the Freo BF board busy in the absence of Pearced, Sutcliffe, Sheridan, ...and Suban

The top end of the draft, especially in regards to mids/smalls is normally pretty accurate.

For example last years draft was touted as having an exceptional top 6 (Rayner, LDU, Dow, Fogarty, Brayshaw & Cerra) that was as good as any...that is looking pretty close. This year it's being touted as a top 7/8 before it equalises ...the Luko/King brothers probably add a bit more risk as the bigs are always a massive ?

I know it is chook lotto to a degree, however to me the value of pick 6 compared to pick 9 is far wider than comparing pick 9 to pick 15 in this draft. If we get two picks in the top 6, we just have to take one of them and maximise class (Cerra) or character/work rate (Brayshaw).

And yet people are saying that the top 6 of last years draft wouldn't get a look in on this years top 8.

I like the idea of not giving up top 5 picks except in rare cases, Hogan would be in that category.

Edit: dammit, I am being sucked into the Hogan BS.

IT'S NOT HAPPENING PEOPLE!

Clickable content is always published, regardless of the truth.

Why are posters carrying on about Hogan’s injury, are you guys suggesting a professional AFL club wouldn’t fo the proper diligence on his injury, there’s a bit of scare mongering going on here.
Would this be the same due diligence they did on Harley Bennell? Or Scott Gumbleton for that matter.

He butchers the ball under pressure and can panic with ball in hand. At that point you'll find where all the negativity on our board stems from. It's frustrating that at this point in his career he hasn't shaken that off. .

He’ll fit in nicely then.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why are posters carrying on about Hogan’s injury, are you guys suggesting a professional AFL club wouldn’t do the proper diligence on his injury, there’s a bit of scare mongering going on here.

Navicular stress fractures are a career threatening injury and extraordinarily hard to manage....it ended Yao Ming's NBA career (big guy lots of running).

It's not a question of not doing due diligence, the fact is it is appetite for risk and whilst we're on the topic let's not pretend like we're hitting it off the park in regards to injury prevention & management.

And yet people are saying that the top 6 of last years draft wouldn't get a look in on this years top 8.

I like the idea of not giving up top 5 picks except in rare cases, Hogan would be in that category.

Edit: dammit, I am being sucked into the Hogan BS.

IT'S NOT HAPPENING PEOPLE!

Clickable content is always published, regardless of the truth.

Who is saying the top 6 wouldn't get a look in? I've not read that.

Twomey's comment (podcast) that had a top 10 of 4 from last year and 6 from this year if the drafts were combined.

Anyone keen on getting Tom Langdon over to join his brother. Out of contract. 190cm can play wing and half back which Ross mentioned as a need
If we need wing and half back then we need absolutely everything. We have our core 4 defenders, then Logue, Nyhuis, Duman, Hughes, and of course we have been playing Blakely and Shill there, how many half backs does Ross want? On the wings there is Ed, Bhill, with Shill and Tucker being options.

Maybe at some time in the future we will think about a forward line.

If we need wing and half back then we need absolutely everything. We have our core 4 defenders, then Logue, Nyhuis, Duman, Hughes, and of course we have been playing Blakely and Shill there, how many half backs does Ross want? On the wings there is Ed, Bhill, with Shill and Tucker being options.

Maybe at some time in the future we will think about a forward line.

No doubt we need some forward line players, but if we give up a 4th round pick for Langdon it would allow us to concentrate on the forward half with our early picks.

No doubt we need some forward line players, but if we give up a 4th round pick for Langdon it would allow us to concentrate on the forward half with our early picks.
Are we talking about the Langdon in the best 22 of a grand final side for a 4th?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back