Mega Thread 2018 List Management, Free Agency & Trade thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't see the purpose of combining Neale and Hogan in the same trade; mega-deals like this rarely happen and it weakens our bargaining position with Neale.

First trade would involve turning Pick 5(6) and our 2019 first rounder into Hogan plus a later pick this year. Whether this involves Port with 9+10 (and a handshake deal that we won't pick an SA player at 4(5) should we receive that pick), then sending 9 + 10 or 9 + 2019 first round pick to Melbourne for Hogan. At the end of the day, doing this deal early would be ideal, and if it's Pick 5(6) and 2019 first rounder or bust, I'd take that deal.

At this point we'd have Hogan PLUS Neale on the list, no top 10 picks but ideally something that we could package together around 15-25 to get a look at Hill, Stack or Clark.

Second trade I'd be asking for Pick 4(5) plus Brisbane's 2019 first rounder for Neale. This is overs, but it's hard to imagine Brisbane would put together an enormous offer for Neale and not be prepared for the likelihood that we demand significant compensation. A contracted, 25 year old, AA-squad midfielder going to a non-football state for a bottom 4 team he has no 'compassionate' reason to go to? Unheard of. It'd be like us getting Ollie Wines to request a trade here and then leaving him on the table when Port don't accept Pick 5(6) in a direct swap - not only do they not get their man, but hurts their chances of landing big fish in a trade going forward. With 10 minutes to go until trade deadline, if I'm Brisbane I'd probably just take the deal.

If they take it, Pick 4 (or 5 if we make a side deal with Port) becomes Bailey Smith to replace Neale in terms of midfield talent, and we get back into next years first round with the potential of having actually upgraded our pick.

If they don't take it, it's difficult to see Lachie going back to Brisbane considering they've left him out to dry, and and if he leaves for a bigger offer to another club at the end of next year we take the first round pick (an insurance of sorts since we traded ours away), or use the money set aside for him to have a huge go at Coniglio.

So Lachie Neale goes in the three way trade with Brisbane and Port.
We end up with pick 9 and 10 after giving up Neale. We would then trade those two picks to Melbourne for Hogan?

Will we still keep pick 5, or is that being dealt to Port?
Edit: No, Brisbane will deal their pick 4 to Port.

Sorry but as an outside observer, why and how are Port involved in a deal for Lachie Neale?

Secondly, you aren't really giving up 2 firsts for Hogan are you?

Sorry but as an outside observer, why and how are Port involved in a deal for Lachie Neale?

Secondly, you aren't really giving up 2 firsts for Hogan are you?

Simple Port want Rankine, they will need pick 5/6 to get him.

Hogan is worth two first, I'd say 9 and 10. Others would say more, I hope we don't give in for more. No way he's worth 4 and 5 that is overs.

Mel need about pick 9/10 for May.

The deal is probably more complicated than this with some future picks as well. Remember Mel need to use a 1st this year and next. Last time they used a first round pick was 2015 were they used 2.

Simple Port want Rankine, they will need pick 5/6 to get him.

Hogan is worth two first, I'd say 9 and 10. Others would say more, I hope we don't give in for more. No way he's worth 4 and 5 that is overs.

Mel need about pick 9/10 for May.

The deal is probably more complicated than this with some future picks as well. Remember Mel need to use a 1st this year and next. Last time they used a first round pick was 2015 were they used 2.

I am def against downgrading our highest picks, but Melbourne will demand our highest as one of the two for Hogan. So maybe we do need to downgrade 5 to say 10 and 15, as well as the Port deal that’s been talked about. If we don’t have pick 5 Melbourne can’t demand it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jones saying "first I've heard of it" isn't quite a lie - it's the first time he's heard it 100% happening done deal. I would be EXTREMELY surprised if this morning was the first time he'd heard that Hogan is in play this year and a reasonable chance to go home. Clearly he's (Jones) has thought about it, and talked to Hogan as a team mate, captain, and a mate.

Do you think we could trade our pick 6 to port for 9 and 10 and insisting that Neale won’t be traded, then do that for hogan. Next years future second for lobb.

And then right at the end of the trade period do the Neale trade for 5, pick 22 and maybe some other steak knives when Brisbane get really desperate.

With live trading we could get port again if rankine is there, we can bluff we are going to take him to get them to give us something else for a one pick downgrade and then we take smith.

Would payback port for getting us twice on the josh Carr and Fabian Francis trades!

Do you think we could trade our pick 6 to port for 9 and 10 and insisting that Neale won’t be traded, then do that for hogan. Next years future second for lobb.

And then right at the end of the trade period do the Neale trade for 5, pick 22 and maybe some other steak knives when Brisbane get really desperate.

With live trading we could get port again if rankine is there, we can bluff we are going to take him to get them to give us something else for a one pick downgrade and then we take smith.

Would payback port for getting us twice on the josh Carr and Fabian Francis trades!

We are the ones that shafted Fabian and we also paid fair price for Carr. Look at who they got with those three picks, we won the deal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We are the ones that shafted Fabian and we also paid fair price for Carr. Look at who they got with those three picks, we won the deal.

What we trade for Francis? I can’t remember. Josh Carr was a 1st, 2nd and 3rd round pick. They drafted spuds with them, then Carr played for freo for 4 years and went back to port Adelaide at 28 and port refused to trade so he went per season draft and played 2 more years and retired.

Did we trade anything for Jarrad Schofield? He was junk at freo. Only port and freo trades I can think of.

We announced we’d draft FF after he’d been delisted by Port. The the AFL screwed us and Fabian after we’d been found to have exceeded the salary cap, and excluded us from the Preseason Draft. He’d already moved over, so committed to play for Souths, we’d committed to draft him next season. Next thing he does an ACL.

All round awful story and amateur hour from Freo AND the AFL. Doesnt make anything ok but FF was many years later found guilty of some pretty poor behaviour.

Now I’m thinking, get a workmanlike midfield. Don’t need A graders if we have a forward line as bad as ours.

Go get Hogan, Neale wants to go then he can. Develop Cerra in his role, and draft small forward.

We have focused heavily on a grey midfield for years at the expense of an ordinary forward line

Would Adelaide do Pick 5 for Pick 14/Pick 37 and Pick 68?

Pick 5 is
1878 points

Those 3 picks combined are 1703 points

OR Geelong's Pick 11/55/56 equal 1865 points

WTF?

Both of those deals are terrible. It sure you know how to use the points system. We would want more if we held the higher pick... substantially more.

Now I’m thinking, get a workmanlike midfield. Don’t need A graders if we have a forward line as bad as ours.

Go get Hogan, Neale wants to go then he can. Develop Cerra in his role, and draft small forward.

We have focused heavily on a grey midfield for years at the expense of an ordinary forward line

I hope so. Question will be whether we can create a system that makes use of the offensive talent we hopefully bring in. Midfielders are pretty plug and play and hence very safe selections. Forwards a little less so. Hasn't worked out well so far for McCarthy and Matera.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back