List Mgmt. 2018 St Kilda Trade Thread Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we are seriously going for king in the draft then we should trade steven, because it means we are years away from contending.

road to 2020 might not be legit after all.[
All this talk about Shiel going to the club with the better coaches is bizarre.

They say you either win or you learn.

Well Richo has been learning plenty this year, so I wouldn't be surprised if by this point, with all the learning he's doing, he's actually smarter than Clarko.

So I'd say we're in the box seat.

Very hard to say. Hanners and shiel10 or so. Hanners only 6 at the most. Not because Shiel is that good. Just makes it hard to stop

$400000 a win, good value, we only need to pay out
I disagree, I haven't just started following the Saints, I come from a family where generations have followed the Saints. I tell you what it is, it's playing the victim, and no ground in the history of the world has been achieved success through identifying as victims.

If you want to throws your toys out, fine, I'm just asking to wait for something to happen first.

The club can't please everyone, the fortune thing is we either get Shiel who is a gun, or we go to the draft and pick up a potential gun. There are worse posotions to be in.

It's not frustration when the thing you're frustrated with hasn't happened, that's called anxiety and paranoia.

it is called frustration when the Club promises things and they fall short. It has happened and happens a lot of the time.

I have read enough posts on here to see many supporters are frustrated that the Club is not a destination Club and we can't attract A grade players even though we offer top dollar. Frustrated that we can't develop players even though our Coach was selected on the basis that he was a developmental coach. Frustrated that we set five year plans that turn into 5 year Groundhog day plans. Frustrated that even when we do the hard work and get to the top of the pile we just can't finish it off. Frustrated that they see Footscray and Richmond win flags and we are still down the bottom.

Nothing to do with anxiety and paranoia.

For a list light on for star power im just hoping we pick the best player at pick 4. Whether that’s a 201cm freak forward or a ready to go mid, I don’t care. Just pick the best player. Simple.
At the end of the day, pretty much this. Especially if an SA club have moved up to pick 3 and grabbed Rankine, and we think there's a significant gap in the ceilings of King and Smith.

To all those saying "who'll kick it to him"; for starters, Steven, Seb, Hannebery, Clark, Steele, Gresh, Billings, Acres, Coffield and co. (the last 5 of whom are still hopefully a long way off what they could be, from a midfield perspective, and ALL of the last 6 were drafted or bid on in the first round of their respective drafts, which suggests they have genuine talent and just need to be developed and coached well), but we also need to remember- as plenty are pointing out- that King's not likely to be really ready to impact for at least a couple of years, so that gives us a couple more years to add that elite midfield talent to get it to him when he is.

So many of the comments seem to be about the hear and now or what they'll do for us next year, but that is so short-sighted, as the draft is generally about what whoever you're picking will do for your club over what you're hoping will be about a 15 year period, not about what they can do for you next year. Unless you're getting a 24yo Tim Kelly type, that's much more what trading and FA are for.

It's not like we're likely to find a Joel Selwood or Chris Judd in the draftwho hit the ground running from year one, so the only ones who are likely to make a significant difference to our midfield in the short term are ones we trade in or get through FA, and I'm sure we'll continue to have that as a huge focus over the next year or two, until we do eventually land us a "big midfield fish" (or at least a bigger one than Hannebery, who will be pretty big himself, if anywhere near full fitness and form).

I feel like we've come to the party a bit late with this mega-offer to Shiel, but if we go this hard, much earlier at our main trade targets next year (like North have this year and last), I think it will give us a much better chance of landing one- especially if we go much better on field on the back of the additions of Hanners, Robbo, Bruce (?), Kent, another preseason into the likes of Clark, Coffield, Gresh, Long, Paddy etc, a presumably much easier draw and hopefully much better coaching/gameplan, etc.

Bringing in King also almost guarantees that we'll move on at least one if not two of the Bruce, Paddy, Skunk, Battle, Marshall group over the next 12 months, and that could give us extra currency to use on those who play midfield. Maybe as soon as this upcoming trade period.

At the end of the day though, if we're not able to cobble together a pretty good midfield over the next 2-3 years out of Stuv, Seb, Hanners, Steele, Gresh, Clark, Acres, Dunstan, Billings, Sincs, Newnes, Long, Kent and so-on, then I reckon there's something pretty seriously wrong at the club, that no Bailey Smith is going to fix.

Hopefully with Ratts on board with the midfield group from this preseason that won't be the case and we won't need to add that much to it for it to be a very good midfield group indeed going forward.

I d

I don’t think there is a problem getting the shot on goal .it is putting it through the big stocks what we lack .
True - the master mind strategy for next year is win the footy when its contested, kick it to players wearing the same jumper and when ur within distance from goal, kick it thru the big sticks.

But lobb will play obviously so it isn’t him or vardy. Surely it’s vardy or hickey. And then there is Nat the year after. Looks like hickey will play a lot of seconds footy if vardy plays at his best

Vardy & Lobb are forwards first, ruckman second. Hickey is a ruckman. If west coast prefer to play two fwd-rucks instead of one fwd-ruck & one first ruckman then you are right. The fact that west coast are looking to get Hickey I think you are wrong. Taking Hickey instead of Roughead who is also a part time ruckman suggests Hickey is inline for their no.1 ruck role or at least until Natanui is fit.

I agree. Pick 37 is a complete nothing pick. We gave up pick 13 for Hickey a few years back and he is our first ruckman. I'd want the pick around 20 for him at the very least.

Interesting that the Eagles could probably pick up Roughead for free but prefer to pay for Hickey.
If we only trade Hickey out then Pick37 goes to Sydney.
Saints will use Future picks for any other decent pick ups in Trade period.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back