List Mgmt. 2018 St Kilda Trade Thread Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like Jeremy Finlayson is on the table and told by the club. I know we have so many backline players, however he would be the best kick at the club by a country mile.

We need to look to see if we can offload a few as we are stocked in that position some average players or others that have not come on.
Not sure about his kicking. He’s got a beautiful kicking action, but loves a loopy moon ball which sets up it’s intended target to be pummelled

Much rather Scrimshaw

Not sure about his kicking. He’s got a beautiful kicking action, but loves a loopy moon ball which sets up it’s intended target to be pummelled

Much rather Scrimshaw

If I'm comparing him to our backline. He has every player covered when it comes to foot skills. The only player that comes close is Webster and even he tries to bite of more than he is capable of. Would much rather have Finlayson in our side over D Mac and Savage and even newnes when played at HB.

Much rather Scrimshaw
I like them both depending on what they cost in picks, totally different players imo.

I still like scrimshaw for a more attacking role off halfback/wing.

If you can get young guys of this age that are a fit for your needs and ready to play that’s good trading, the question is do we need either of them.

Last edited:
Finlayson definitely seems promising but are GWS going to ask a small fortune?
Why? They took him at 85 as an Academy pick, he sat in their reserves side for two-and-a-half seasons before getting injured in his debut match, this year to his great credit he's been able to string a few games together as a rebounding defender with Wilson departing and Williams injured but he's now been told he's no longer a required player.

On what basis could they ask a small fortune?

If I'm comparing him to our backline. He has every player covered when it comes to foot skills. The only player that comes close is Webster and even he tries to bite of more than he is capable of. Would much rather have Finlayson in our side over D Mac and Savage and even newnes when played at HB.
You’re overrating him terribly. He’s a poor man’s Dylan Roberton

He’s more of a KPD though isn’t he? I think we are light on for KPDs and with Brown in his last season we should be looking at some big blokes. Carlisle is 28 and Clavarino is going to take a while. Joyce and Austin the only other ones but who knows about their futures.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do GWS need points for academy picks or however that works (I have no idea). I am just trying to come up with ways to offload our third rounds seeing as how Hanners for a second seems to be the consensus.

I’d rather take the kid who was pick 7 back 2 years ago. Gimme Scimshaw please
I’ve read what gromma has posted plus we’ve seen the footage, the kid can play.

Who really knows why some kids don’t come on maybe he’s just not a fit for gcs, maybe they have a different role in mind for him.

What I do know is Scott Clayton knows his stuff and clearly rated this kid plus I can remember rating him as a junior and being annoyed we didn’t get him. Foot skills are in short supply at Moorabbin and this kid can hit a target.

So...

Unless we can trade a Shiel or other gun, I'm happy to take our pick to the draft. Get Rankine because we need some star power. We have enough blue collar.

Hichkey pick for Hanners? Depends if we want to go to the draft.This option would see us leave next year's picks intact and enable us to trade our first for a gun if needed.

Upgrade Roma, and unless we have another ruck, maybe Pierce. However not sure how that will go to have him on the list for so long. 50/50 retention IMO.

That would leave us with 1 pick to meet our draft requirements of 3.

Then we still have a few spots to fill if I'm not mistaken.

We could potentially take players with our high picks that may have gone in the rookie draft?

Potential DFA top up? will we get a pick for Lonie?

Otherwise, I'd rather wetrade in young kids with a year or two in the systemlike scrimshaw for instance then punt on an 18 year old with pick 60.

Hopefully we get a PP. Use that for Hanners. Use Hickey pick for Scrimshaw type and draft a few kids later.

So...

Unless we can trade a Shiel or other gun, I'm happy to take our pick to the draft. Get Rankine because we need some star power. We have enough blue collar.

I'm assuming Hannebury is done and we have retained first round. I agree, take first round to the draft - Rankine, Smith, Lukosias, King - they are all worth the risk of a bust. Only way I would be happy to lose pick 3 is if it got us Gaff.

Finlayson was a forward as a junior. If we could get him for a 3rd or 4th or Lonie swap then he is an upgrade on Goddard. Is he defensively strong enough to take over browns key post? 3rd and 4th rounders are long shots anyway.

Would take him over anyone in our current backline bar Robbo (if he can get back) and Carlisle. Comparing him to Savage/McKenzie/Newnes/Rice/Geary that all play there and he is a brownlow medalist.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back