List Mgmt. 2018 St Kilda Trade Thread Part 4

Remove this Banner Ad

Terrible idea. Really terrible

As is evidenced by our inability to recruit A grade talent with cash, we are not getting to the summit any other way.

Steven, whilst in our best two or three players, isn't our most important in terms of structure or marketability, and, as I previously said, will not be around when we are contending again so whilst he is worth something, let's get that.

My previous scenario stays the same but we could live trade 15 and 18 for a future 1st?

Restriction of trade is nowhere near as clear cut towards players as people make out.

Think of the AFL as a big franchise.
Players are free to perform a job in any capacity at any time outside that franchise.

Restricting movement within the franchise is NOT akin to , for example, stopping a qualified carpenter from getting another job as a carpenter.
A builder though can remunerate a carpenter at a level that gives them an expectation that he is available for work at all times. Some do, some don’t.

I think what AFL players often confuse is that their earning capacity outside of the AFL is usually only high because they are in the AFL system. Some may have been able to make decent coin in other sports like cricket and, surfing and golf but most would be working 9 to 5 for $60k a year if they are lucky.

Seems like a bit of a gimmick to me. The NRL has always lagged behind the AFL in terms of professionalism and sports science so I’m not sure what he brings to the table.

Happy to be proven wrong though.
Rugby Union at the highest level is pretty good in this regard. I think you might be surprised how much AFL clubs are gleaning from opposition codes.

Seems like a bit of a gimmick to me. The NRL has always lagged behind the AFL in terms of professionalism and sports science so I’m not sure what he brings to the table.

Happy to be proven wrong though.
It's no gimmick. Nick Maxwell went over to Melbourne Storm and did a similar role for a few years and it quite successful.

The NRL may well be behind the AFL, but Melbourne Storm is one of the most professional outfits in the country full of some of the best leaders in the country.

As is evidenced by our inability to recruit A grade talent with cash, we are not getting to the summit any other way.

Steven, whilst in our best two or three players, isn't our most important in terms of structure or marketability, and, as I previously said, will not be around when we are contending again so whilst he is worth something, let's get that.

My previous scenario stays the same but we could live trade 15 and 18 for a future 1st?

Cant think of one club who has ever got rid of their best player unless they want to leave. And who knows who will be around next time we challenge. I do know losing Jack would be shocking for morale.

Realistically Steven isn't around when we are next contending and Bruce is expendable imo. So.....

Steven to Geelong for 12
Lonie and Bruce to Collingwood for 18

Go to the draft with 4, 12, 18 and 28

On draft night, trade 4 and 28 to Port Adelaide for 6, 10 and 15.

Leaves us with 6, 10, 12, 15 and 18.

Probably unpopular but if we are going to do this, we may as well do it properly.
Would get on board with this.
The Adelaide trade is farcical and wouldn't happen, 10 wouldn't be included.
I'd also want more than 12 alone for Steven.
Maybe we give our 2019 3rd and receive 2019 Cats 2nd to get back into the second round.

I like where your head is though, commit to the build properly!

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Steven for pick 12 is a terrible idea. We'd be lucky to draft a player half as good. Need more than that to give up your best player. We went down this path before with McEvoy and Dal Santo and the players that replaced them are looking like they will never be as good (Acres, Savage and Dunston).

I'd probably do Bruce for 18 and would consider Bruce and Lonie (would probably want collingwoods 3rd rounder too if I'm giving Lonie) but I don't think Collingwood wants to give up pick 18 given they are looking at Roughead now.

While we aren't going to get players come to us because "muh premierships" right now, I think there has been enough evidence to suggest selling what good players we have for picks in the teens isn't getting us anywhere either.

Best we can hope for is Hanners, Kent and pick 4 all come in to the 22, Roberton and Bruce come back and Gresham and Steele go even further. Then if we get back to looking like we are on the up or (heaven forbid) pinch a finals spot by sheer luck like the bombers did we might be more attractive. If we go backwards even further we'll probably loose players like Billings and Stuv anyway, in which case we should want top 10 picks not just any first rounder.

It says nothing at all there about Essendon or any other club knowing about the video before the trade. Essendon and St Kilda were both contacted by the same person on the same late afternoon AFTER the trade had been lodged with the video. Only after that did Jake’s management come clean on knowing about the videos existance before the trade paperwork was lodged.
It’s not a sore spot at all, our club has been rightfully made out to be unprofessional and a laughing stock on numerous occasions, but on this occasion the narrative of everyone pulling the wool over our eyes is simply untrue.
I’m glad no clubs knew before the trade was lodged because Buckets is the most important player at our club, both onfield and off. A Saint of the highest order.

Whatever the facts may be, I'm glad & relieved that we didn't see the video before the deal was done. Thank god.

Just goes to show that maybe we get overexcited by occasional acts of silliness? Too judgemental.

If we had seen the video and done the prudent thing and walked away. No Carlisle and no Gresham on our List today.

Sincs has the potential to be best 22 but isn't consistent enough IMO.

Not sure he'll get there given what he has produced over the last 3 to 4 years but who knows.
Seems to polarise posters on here, personally I think he’s an absolute gun who can take the next step and be an A grade player.

He’s one of 4 saints players ranked in the AFL top 100 so clearly he’s doing something right, imo if he could add another 5-10 possessions a week and kick a few more goals he’ll make that jump.

My criticism of him is that like billing’s he doesn’t demand the ball enough and is happy to let some of our ball butchers take precedence. That’s also part of our teams problems we don’t use our better kicks the way some teams do.

Not sold on Skunk?? Gun player for me. Interestingly he is our quickest player and quicker than Adam Saad and JJ. Be havoc for a defender to try and match up on a guy 188cm with a great leap and a too speed of 34.6..
I like him when hes kicking goals not behinds. But when hes not kicking goals he's not doing much else.
Btw does anyone know why hes called skunk. Bad B.O?

Seems to polarise posters on here, personally I think he’s an absolute gun who can take the next step and be an A grade player.

He’s one of 4 saints players ranked in the AFL top 100 so clearly he’s doing something right, imo if he could add another 5-10 possessions a week and kick a few more goals he’ll make that jump.

My criticism of him is that like billing’s he doesn’t demand the ball enough and is happy to let some of our ball butchers take precedence. That’s also part of our teams problems we don’t use our better kicks the way some teams do.
Those player rankings are a bit of crap. At the moment Sinclair isn’t a top 10. Needs to work harder during games

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thats my one criticism of him as well - he doesn't demand the ball or scream for it when he is in a good position. He has all the tools - great kick, extremely great vision and football brain, strong work ethic and can run all day. He needs to become more selfish because we are a better team which Sincs is playing well.

That West Coast game in 2017 when he single handily got us back in the game during the 2nd quarter is one of the best 10 minutes of football have seen one of our mids plays for years.

If we could get 6 + 10 for 4 (+/- change, e.g 28 or Dunstan) then that is utterly ridiculous and would change our prospects massively this year.

If we’re confident that King will be at 6, then we could trade Bruce with 10 for an early 2019 first? That would allow us to trade two first round picks next year for an established player without leaving the first round (one of the trades firsts being a 2020 pick).

Or the better option could be to hold onto Bruce to allow his value to rise with the return from injury (or allow Paddy to hit some consistency and become more valuable) and do the trade next year, whilst taking 10 to the draft for a midfielder.

I like him when hes kicking goals not behinds. But when hes not kicking goals he's not doing much else.
Btw does anyone know why hes called skunk. Bad B.O?

He got it from dropping rank farts in the changerooms, true story.

Just my opinion as I see Pierce mentioned a lot as our ruck solution.

If the club actually thought much of him or thought as him as our ruck solution surely they would've re-signed him ages ago or by now? I mean all he will be is a rookie contract...

Imo I don't think the clubs thinks he can do it as a number one ruck..

Longer likewise, in all honesty as we know if the bloke got any sort of trade interest he would be out the door.

Realistically Steven isn't around when we are next contending and Bruce is expendable imo. So.....

Steven to Geelong for 12
Lonie and Bruce to Collingwood for 18

Go to the draft with 4, 12, 18 and 28

On draft night, trade 4 and 28 to Port Adelaide for 6, 10 and 15.

Leaves us with 6, 10, 12, 15 and 18.

Probably unpopular but if we are going to do this, we may as well do it properly.
Problem is we need some senior players, good ones, to teach the younger ones what it takes to be an elite player. Biggest reason Hanneberry has been traded for that reason.

Don’t disagree with one of Bruce or Paddy. Whichever nets the better pick.

Live trading could work for sure. Think we’d need to give up 18 instead of 28 though. Would still net us 6, 10, 15 & 28.

King/Smith, Caldwell/Dawkins, slider (possibly one of the two at pick 10 could slide) and another good kid at 28.

Problem is we need some senior players, good ones, to teach the younger ones what it takes to be an elite player. Biggest reason Hanneberry has been traded for that reason.

Don’t disagree with one of Bruce or Paddy. Whichever nets the better pick.

Live trading could work for sure. Think we’d need to give up 18 instead of 28 though. Would still net us 6, 10, 15 & 28.

King/Smith, Caldwell/Dawkins, slider (possibly one of the two at pick 10 could slide) and another good kid at 28.

That works for me. Agree re: senior players. It is where hitting the draft that hard falls over.

I reckon if we did something like this you may as well cancel the foxtel subscription for a good 10years..

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2018 St Kilda Trade Thread Part 4

Remove this Banner Ad

Back