List Mgmt. 2018 St Kilda Trade Thread Part 4

Remove this Banner Ad

It's no gimmick. Nick Maxwell went over to Melbourne Storm and did a similar role for a few years and it quite successful.

The NRL may well be behind the AFL, but Melbourne Storm is one of the most professional outfits in the country full of some of the best leaders in the country.
So why don't we just recruit Nick Maxwell? He taught Billy Slater leadership and he knows AFL and he bloody owes us!

Billy Slater apparently learnt a lot of what he knows about leadership from Nick Maxwell, who in turn learnt about leadership from Mick Malthouse. Was Maxwell that good a leader?
Yes, only guy I have seen who's on field leadership was enough to get him a game when he wasn't best 22.

Acres as ruck lol, gears on wing, armo and Ross at HB, Carlisle forward/ruck, Paton forward/wing when hes suited for HB.
I'm not saying this was their full time positions or this is where they were played mostly. I'm stating this were some of the moves made by Richo, which should'nt have happened imo.

Look at the premiership captains of recent times -

Harley
Maxwell
Ling
McVeigh
Hodge
Wood
Cotchin
Hurn

Other than Cotchin they are all defensive side of the ball, more of a 2 way player than a genuine stopper & spoken about as being an on field coach rather than being the teams best player.

If Geary isn’t the captain in say... 2 years time, then who is the next obvious option?

I thought Newnes or Dunstan were locks to battle it out but now they might not be best 22.

Does 30yo Hanners have a go?

Roberton? Webster?

Jack Steele I think could step up as an elite defensive mid in the next few years. Anyone know if he has leadership capabilities?

Look at the premiership captains of recent times -

Harley
Maxwell
Ling
McVeigh
Hodge
Wood
Cotchin
Hurn

Other than Cotchin they are all defensive side of the ball, more of a 2 way player than a genuine stopper & spoken about as being an on field coach rather than being the teams best player.

If Geary isn’t the captain in say... 2 years time, then who is the next obvious option?

I thought Newnes or Dunstan were locks to battle it out but now they might not be best 22.

Does 30yo Hanners have a go?

Roberton? Webster?

Jack Steele I think could step up as an elite defensive mid in the next few years. Anyone know if he has leadership capabilities?

I think Ross captains next year. If not the year after.

So why don't we just recruit Nick Maxwell? He taught Billy Slater leadership and he knows AFL and he bloody owes us!

I think Billy knew a lot more about leadership well before Maxwell turned up for his one day a week sessions.

Maybe Acres was played forward because he was our most reliable set shot for goal in the first half of the year..but his field kicking cant hit the side of a barn..
His kicking was fine early in the year, and he got the 2nd-most coaches votes for his round 1 game on the wing, so Richo clearly didn't have too many issues with how he went there. If he did, he wouldn't have rated him in our best couple.

You don't move someone away from an area you rate them almost BOG in because you're not happy with how they played there. So that theory doesn't stack up.

The big mistake for mine was that going into the season it was an absolute no-brainer that if we wanted to move forward, Acres and Sincs (and perhaps to a lesser degree Billibgs) had to be given priority access to the wings. They were the future and the now.

As much as Newnes is fine and actually quite good there, when he's at his best, he's most likely reached his ceiling, and as such I believed we needed to give the other two the opportunity to see if they have a higher ceiling than him there.

Sincs came on in leaps and bounds there last year and Acres like Richo himself said had the potential to be one of the most improved in the comp there.

Yet not only did we prioritise Newnes there ahead of them early in the season, but we prioritised a clearly out of form Newnes there ahead of them. Madness.

Instead of the undroppable Newnes being the one to make way (either out of the team, back to defence, or to the forwardline, like they eventually did), they left him there to ordinary it up and played the other two where they don't belong.

Not that you're saying this, but for those who are, I reckon it's a complete cop-out to blame recruiting on poor positional selections like that, and I reckon if he had his time over again Richo himself would have moved Newnes forward much earlier, and gone with Dunstan instead of the underdone Armo, in the middle, and probably Steele instead of Koby in the middle.

The type of moves that eventually happened, but only once the damage had been done, our season in the shitter and our confidence shot.

Just because you have x amount of "pure inside mids" on your list doesn't mean you have to cram them all into the 22 at one time. You're allowed to keep some as depth and putting pressure on in the VFL!

I don’t see the GWS situation the same as many on here.

Break it down to the players:

Patton - 3x knees. Big $$. Survived without him.

Scully - ankle is stuffed. Mercenary.

Setterfield - knee. Struggled to get on the park. Crap first game. Homesick.

Lobb - not quite a ruckman, not quite a forward. Homesick.

Shiel - going home next year anyway so maximise the trade now. Who is he mates with at GWS...? Crickets....

Anyone I miss?

Seems pretty strategic to me.

I think our hatred of the plastics is clouding our collective view of this trade period for them.

Who have they lost since starting that they regret? Couple of homesick dudes to Collingwood. Jack Steele perhaps.

The rest were crap or just ok.

A damn fine strike rate if you ask me.

The only mistake was the dude to the Bombers. But he only came good with decent medicos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Still talking with both S.A clubs. If I am going to have a bet. We won’t use pick 4
You'd think a lot of it will depend on whether Port get Hawthorn's first or something thereabouts for Wingard.

Hard to see anything happening until then, unless we can talk them into 6 and 10 for 4 and significant change!

Sinclair was played anywhere except the position he excelled at last year. It is easy to say because it's true.

Why did the Saints suddenly look a little better when the coaches agreed to trust their players to play?
I am assuming a lot here, but I think the coaches tried a new game plan this year that was more forward thinking and less basic but less adapted to the minimal skill set of our players.

It didn't work out and the conservative players demanded to return to the basic tactics of the early years of the Richo Era when he was really just building and developing.

That worked but the coaches - including Playfair from the Swans and rising coaching star Kingsley - considered it was not sustainable and perceived that the tactics had to be more than just pressure (aka "Saints Footy"). They knew the easiest thing to do would keep on letting them play the footy they didn't have to think about, the style that had served them so well over the previous years.

They tried and failed to implement a new style. Should they have abandoned their plans at that stage?

Adelaide have 8,13,16,21
If they want to trade for 4 I reckon they need to start by turning all or some of them into 5 or 7 and change. Otherwise we're likely to wait for Port's best offer with 6.

After how much Port gave up to get 6, just think what those two clubs are offering for 4!!

And they'll be getting nervous trigger fingers knowing that the other one could trade for 4 with us at any time and trump them.

If they want to trade for 4 I reckon they need to start by turning all or some of them into 5 or 7 and change. Otherwise we're likely to wait for Port's best offer with 6.

After how much Port gave up to get 6, just think what those two clubs are offering for 4!!

Ports 6 and 10 hmm, they dont have much after that.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2018 St Kilda Trade Thread Part 4

Remove this Banner Ad

Back