List Mgmt. 2018 St Kilda Trade Thread Part 4

Remove this Banner Ad

We have Carlisle, Austin and Clavarino long-term, as well as Brown short-term and Rowan Marshall can pinch-hit back there. Not sure if May is exactly what we need, and surely not for pick 4. Other clubs will want and need him more so will be willing to give up more to get him.

Scully not at Hawthorn yet either. I'd be just letting agents know we are still interested in a few at this stage.
I’d argue we don’t need Max King yet we’re linked to him

The shifting sands of trade time!
I think it has all changed with the Hogan deal falling over and then Beams chiming in. Before that, it was GC looking to pay overs for Bruce. I wouldn't hold it against him to take the paycheck given he has a young family (to your point Nanganator) and has grasped the reality that his career can end overnight. This year's injuries taught him that. Then he was thrown up as part of the Beams deal.
Will a deal get done or is it still a chance?

Who's linking us to him?

My mail is we are into Rankine.
Everywhere I read it’s King or bust

I want Smith. We need line breaking mids. We’ve got Bruce/Paddy/Marshall

In a comp that assists key forwards against mostly smaller players.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a nuff and I hope he becomes a star but I've had my fill of junior prodigy key forwards.
I rate May but I wouldn't be giving up a top 4 pick for him. If anything you would do a deal similar to the Carlisle one that sees us staying in the first draft. I wouldn't even be doing that deal in this draft though.

I can understand why you'd be worried about taking King at 4 also.

They would most likely get pick 2 next year so im doubting they do it.
At the end of the day given how many have left they desperately need to keep him. If they can get 2 for him next year then they may as well keep him.

If May, Lynch, Hall, KK and a few others are leaving the Suns, who is left to choose from to be appointed captain? Could it be Captain Weller?

Would you want to keep all the talls if we were drafting King?
Yes.
King rehabbing.
May get back on the park late next year.
If he is that good, low risk strategy he would see out the balance of the year at Sandringham.
And ready for a full pre-season.
(Much like Roo from memory, although Roo’s injury wasn’t as bad).
So we’d still need our talls.
However, this time next year is a totally different story.....

ahhhhhh good old Trade Radio bashing us and sucking Hawthorn's ****, it never ends

Nah.. Dildo smart. He knows GWS need to get him off the books just to hit the cap next year.

He'll get what he wants.. They've had the upper hand the moment Shiel nominated them.

He'll also wait until the last couple of hours to state its this or they walk away, not leaving any room for an outbid.

we just need GWS to be smart enough and continue to shop Sheil around

But but but but but..... they got JOM! :eek:

My Hawk mates were giving me so much shit this year because he was playing well & injury free & I told them its only a matter of time..... Bang! Sore knee to finish the year & misses the semi-final v Melbourne in their most important match of the year. It was good to see him back playing though

not close to the player he was, glad we missed for the cost/return ratio

Everywhere I read it’s King or bust

I want Smith. We need line breaking mids. We’ve got Bruce/Paddy/Marshall

Dont forget Josh Battle IMO will end up better than all of them.

But Bailey Smith gets my vote also. Production, class and speed in the middle is exactly why we were trying to get Shiel.

Dont forget Josh Battle IMO will end up better than all of them.

But Bailey Smith gets my vote also. Production, class and speed in the middle is exactly why we were trying to get Shiel.
Yep. Agreed.

That’s what I’m not getting, perfect fit for us yet we’re most likely gonna pick another KPP.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not that I'm necessarily opposed to us keeping 4 and using it on the freak-show that is Rankine- depending on what we're offered for 4- but to all those saying things like "we must keep it and pick him, because we lack star-power" and so-on, let's not forget that a lot of the same things were being said about Petracca in 2014 (including by me, who argued very strongly for him over Paddy), yet 4 years on, and CP is just good and nothing else (a lot like Jack Martin, who was hyped just as much as Rankine, if not more) and as it turns out we probably would have been better off trading down a touch in that draft, given that we (according to Emma Quayle's book) had De-Goey at 6 on our board and Brayshaw at 3. We might have De Goey and a Lachie Weller for trading down.

Yes Rankine could be the next big thing, but so could King, or Smith, or someone else like RCD, while Rankine could be the next Petracca or Martin.

There are no guarantees. Zero.

That is all.

Rankine looks a stand out even compared to Jack Martin who seemed to get hyped because noise out of WA was that he was the best player ever out of there. If he was in a better side I think he would ave been a gun but got lost up there. Petracca was hyped but in comparison he looked average and was a weaker draft. The only thing that will hold Rankine back is his psychology. He's as good a kid as I have seen for strut and ability. He literally had to be swapped from one team to another in the under 17 all stars because he was dominating so much. Played SANFL as a 16 year old and they were saying he could have walked into an AFL squad and held his own. More like the next Dusty Martin.

ahhhhhh good old Trade Radio bashing us and sucking Hawthorn's ****, it never ends

JOM not close to the player he was? Are you serious. Had his best year and considering he has hardly played was very good. Close to excellent. Anyway we haven't got him so matters little but I think its important to say things that are close to the truth.

I used to think there was a massive vendetta against us through the likes of Plough and Barret. But it's a win/loss industry and reality is we haven't played finals in 8 years.

Start winning some games of footy and we'll start getting some decent media opinions.

I used to think there was a massive vendetta against us through the likes of Plough and Barret. But it's a win/loss industry and reality is we haven't played finals in 8 years.

Start winning some games of footy and we'll start getting some decent media opinions.
Haha this.

No Sydney player was elite in that game, but the Sydney players who at least had a crack & showed some heart were Hanners, JPK & Cunningham. The rest were poo

Thats what we want. Players that dont drop their heads. We are notorious for head dropping in games. Hanners helps this & we essentially swapped him for Hickey while bringing our 2nd rounder for next year forward to this year. The deal was great & what he will bring to the team is something we are desperately lacking - decent midfield leadership & guidance

Honestly, when the rumour first surfaced, I was his biggest knocker. But I've seen the light & am keen to give him a go. He's also spent his career roving to shit ruckmen so we know he'll go alright ;)

I watched the game too and he was playing much better than he had been all year. I reckon conditions flattered him bit, it was a very wet track and he didn't look like he lacked burst speed. Mark Mc Goff looked good when ever it rained too. Hopefully he's going to improve his injuries because he was an elite player 2 years ago. As I said it's a bargain if he can get back but people are going to get a shock if he plays like he did most of this year. He literally played like the sore Armo.

+1
And i dont see us playing finals for at least another 3 years

I watched the game too and he was playing much better than he had been all year. I reckon conditions flattered him bit, it was a very wet track and he didn't look like he lacked burst speed. Mark Mc Goff looked good when ever it rained too. Hopefully he's going to improve his injuries because he was an elite player 2 years ago. As I said it's a bargain if he can get back but people are going to get a shock if he plays like he did most of this year. He literally played like the sore Armo.

And he may play like he did one year ago. He may play like he did last year or he may play like he did 2 years ago. I will go with us getting a very good player for stuff all.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2018 St Kilda Trade Thread Part 4

Remove this Banner Ad

Back