List Mgmt. 2018 St Kilda Trade Thread Part 4

Remove this Banner Ad

Some here worried we are risking too high a pick by swapping 2019 1sts with GC next year. I guess it comes down to what we think is giving up too much.

I've read back to 2010 and on average 8ish wins gets you to about 13th (pick 6)

I'm backing us to get at least 8 wins with our draw. So.... would you do 4 and 6 (2019) for 6 and 1 (2019)?

I certainly would

Some here worried we are risking too high a pick by swapping 2019 1sts with GC next year. I guess it comes down to what we think is giving up too much.

I'm backing us to get at least 8 wins with our draw. So.... would you do 4 and 6 (2019) for 6 and 1 (2019)?

I certainly would
I would likely take the punt.
GC have a long road ahead with what they've lost.
Pick 1 2019 would be nice IF it worked out that way.

The only way to get M.King and Caldwell by trading only once would be if Port Adelaide offered up 5 + 10 for 4 (and whatever change). If they offered 5 + 15 that *might* get it done, but risky.

The only other realistic option would likely need 2 or 3 trades - if Gold Coast offered 6 + extras, where M.King slides to 6 and the extras get flipped for an early teens pick for Caldwell.

I certainly would
How many wins did you have us down for this season,before it started ?

Getting Max King and Caldwell means getting two mad Saints fans too, which is a bonus and also most likely we may pull Ben King If he ends up interstate

I can't see how we get both without trading out next year's 1st. surely??

The only way to get M.King and Caldwell by trading only once would be if Port Adelaide offered up 5 + 10 for 4 (and whatever change). If they offered 5 + 15 that *might* get it done, but risky.

The only other realistic option would likely need 2 or 3 trades - if Gold Coast offered 6 + extras, where M.King slides to 6 and the extras get flipped for an early teens pick for Caldwell.
Why would Port trade two top ten picks for a one pick upgrade when all the mail is we will take King who they dont want?

If the club trades our first next year, it really does show our confidence and faith we have in our coaching and playing list.

We can only trade next year’s first if somehow we get a 2019 second rounder back though.....I think?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No we don’t, thats why in order to trade our first we have to somehow get a second.

Pretty sure you can get special dispensation from the AFL. If we went with our plan of say GWSs pick 9 for our 2019 1st they may well allow it.

It's to protect clubs from themselves but as long as the AFL think the plan is sound they can allow it

I think

If the club trades our first next year, it really does show our confidence and faith we have in our coaching and playing list.
Honestly think it's time we made a ballsy move like this. We have excess talented young guys coming through but need to stamp ownership over how we want to be playing finals footy next year and challenging for a flag in the next few. No more time spent in the bottom 10 building towards a stack of potent players similar to that of what Melbourne have now, we need short-term resolve rather than planning for some imaginary stint by which we gather a hand of unbeatable players or else Billings, Gresham and Long probably all walk out the door next year, along with Stuv. Put the plan in motion now and make finals next year. The year following, make the top 4. After that, a premiership is all that will suffice. Success breeds success, failure like ours only leads to the delusion that equalisation will somehow save our club.

Back to the point, trading for say GC pick 6 this year in exchange for our '19 1st Rounder to get 2 genuine stars in Caldwell and King is the right move for the club moving forward. 4x top 10 draft picks in just 2 years is enough to set most sides up for a decade if they play their cards right.

Honestly think it's time we made a ballsy move like this. We have excess talented young guys coming through but need to stamp ownership over how we want to be playing finals footy next year and challenging for a flag in the next few. No more time spent in the bottom 10 building towards a stack of potent players similar to that of what Melbourne have now, we need short-term resolve rather than planning for some imaginary stint by which we gather a hand of unbeatable players or else Billings, Gresham and Long probably all walk out the door next year, along with Stuv. Put the plan in motion now and make finals next year. The year following, make the top 4. After that, a premiership is all that will suffice. Success breeds success, failure like ours only leads to the delusion that equalisation will somehow save our club.

Back to the point, trading for say GC pick 6 this year in exchange for our '19 1st Rounder to get 2 genuine stars in Caldwell and King is the right move for the club moving forward. 4x top 10 draft picks in just 2 years is enough to set most sides up for a decade if they play their cards right.
Gold Coast are in full rebuild mode. I don't really know why they'd trade out of this years top 6 to gamble on what our first rounder is next year.

Realistically our only hope of getting a decent trade is if Rankine is still there at our pick and Port offer us 5 and 15 for 4, which I assume we'd jump at.

Another potentially interesting scenario would be if GC wanted to get 4. They would then hold 2-3-4... if we could get 6 from then and somehow pry out their future 1st then that could be pretty incredible as it would probably give us pick 1 next year.

Last edited:
Storing up future picks is an okay strategy if you're already a strong team. The problem is we are shite at the moment and need to get our act together sooner rather than later.

So I say stuff waiting around for the 2019 draft and hypotheticals about where we and and the Suns might finish. We should get the best draft hand we can this year and draft accordingly. Only if we move up the ladder next year will we become more attractive to the likes of Kelly.

Another dud season in 2019 and we'll have no chance of landing him or another big fish regardless of how many good draft picks we have in the bank.

Action speaks louder than words and frankly I'm tired of waiting and have no interest in talk of another lame 3-5 year rebuild.

Strike at this year's draft and get the best talent we can.

Why would Port trade two top ten picks for a one pick upgrade when all the mail is we will take King who they dont want?

Exactly - but what if they believe that we are going to trade it to Gold Coast or Adelaide instead? They know we want King, we know they don't want him, but GC or Adelaide having that pick would really stuff up their plans. Adelaide isn't really a credible threat, they don't have much to give us, but Gold Coast could definitely do the deal with 6.

I'm spit-balling here; now, say we do a trade 4 and our second for 5 and 10. 10 is not high enough to get Caldwell so we trade that and our future first for GC future second and pick 6.

Will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Not If we get a 1st round in return.

Yes a swap of firsts not a problem.
Someone just put the proposal of pick 4 and our first rounder next year for two picks this year and I wasn’t sure that could be done.
Supposedly because the club is not for two picks in the top 10 this year.

Trading with GC for 2019 first round and pick 6 for 4 and 2019 first round.

Hypothetically, if we do improve. Let's say we finished 8th or something, we would appear attractive to FA's and out of contract players, we have the currency with a possibly top 2 pick. We can essentially offer that pick + another for someone like Josh Kelly.

With pick 6, we pick another gun in Mking or Caldwell

Storing up future picks is an okay strategy if you're already a strong team. The problem is we are shite at the moment and need to get our act together sooner rather than later.

So I say stuff waiting around for the 2019 draft and hypotheticals about where we and and the Suns might finish. We should get the best draft hand we can this year and draft accordingly. Only if we move up the ladder next year will we become more attractive to the likes of Kelly.

Another dud season in 2019 and we'll have no chance of landing him or another big fish regardless of how many good draft picks we have in the bank.

Action speaks louder than words and frankly I'm tired of waiting and have no interest in talk of another lame 3-5 year rebuild.

Strike at this year's draft and get the best talent we can.

I say go for it!
Take two talented kids to add to the two we got last year and let end of 2019 look after itself. This way we get an extra year of development into an extra kid.
Be Bold, Saints!

Last edited:
Trading with GC for 2019 first round and pick 6 for 4 and 2019 first round.

Hypothetically, if we do improve. Let's say we finished 8th or something, we would appear attractive to FA's and out of contract players, we have the currency with a possibly top 2 pick. We can essentially offer that pick + another for someone like Josh Kelly.

With pick 6, we pick another gun in Mking or Caldwell
Surely we’d have to get one of their picks in the 20s as well.

If we know how the picks will fall and pick 6 is who we want then I’d go for it

How can anyone seriously say swapping firsts with gc next year is too much of a gamble? Has anyone seen what's happened to that club over the offseason? 99% chance that it's a top 2 pick and more than likely number 1.

If we think we're going to get the same player that we want with 4 at 6 then it's a very smart trade.

It's just not going to happen though. Why would they do it in a really strong draft and then there is every chance we end up much better next year so they lose a potential gun for an average pick next year. We would have to pay overs and we can't afford that.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2018 St Kilda Trade Thread Part 4

Remove this Banner Ad

Back