List Mgmt. 2018 St Kilda Trade Thread Part 4

Remove this Banner Ad

Getting either of picks 8 or 10 is pretty easy.
Swapping of future 1sts will yield 1000 < 1200 points, #36 is worth 500 and #46 is worth 300.
Pick 8 (1500pts) = future swap + #36
Pick 10 (1400pts) = same +/-

Our pick 4 only has value to SA clubs if JL or Rankine are still available, so both Port and Crows would only be interested in picks 1-3 so far as trading up prior to the draft.
Our future 1st will have more appeal to GC than #8 or #10, so if they are to do a deal then we could likely be involved.
I think we're powerless at the moment and should swap 4, 36, 46 for 6, 23, 29 and take it as a win. If the Crows want to trade for pick 2/3/4 then they will come knocking for our future 1st, and Port are probably pretty happy to sit tight.

It's just not going to happen though. Why would they do it in a really strong draft and then there is every chance we end up much better next year so they lose a potential gun for an average pick next year. We would have to pay overs and we can't afford that.

Perhaps they see it as being able to keep 3 SA boys together rather than 1 player next year? With the amount of guys that have asked to be traded home. This is why they may be open to doing that.

Surely we’d have to get one of their picks in the 20s as well.

If we know how the picks will fall and pick 6 is who we want then I’d go for it
The problem is we can never know how the picks will fall. All the clubs involved will have there poker faces on. We can't believe anything we hear about any clubs intent.

Honestly think it's time we made a ballsy move like this. We have excess talented young guys coming through but need to stamp ownership over how we want to be playing finals footy next year and challenging for a flag in the next few. No more time spent in the bottom 10 building towards a stack of potent players similar to that of what Melbourne have now, we need short-term resolve rather than planning for some imaginary stint by which we gather a hand of unbeatable players or else Billings, Gresham and Long probably all walk out the door next year, along with Stuv. Put the plan in motion now and make finals next year. The year following, make the top 4. After that, a premiership is all that will suffice. Success breeds success, failure like ours only leads to the delusion that equalisation will somehow save our club.

Back to the point, trading for say GC pick 6 this year in exchange for our '19 1st Rounder to get 2 genuine stars in Caldwell and King is the right move for the club moving forward. 4x top 10 draft picks in just 2 years is enough to set most sides up for a decade if they play their cards right.
You think it’s time?

So you didn’t like the Ballsy move to trade picks 10 & 68 two years ago for picks 23, 36 & 2017 pick 7?

Or 2 years before that when we traded picks 5 & 24 for Carlisle & Pick14 (Gresham)?

We’ve done plenty of ballsy shit during trade & draft periods recently. Problem is that we have no elite senior players bar Stuv, no elite leaders at all & a coach with a winning % just 6% better than Timmy ****ing Watson.

Thank **** we recruited Hanners who gives us another elite senior player & leader even if he is a bit banged up. And bringing in Ratten & BLade is a sensational move after watching our shocking midfield & forward play in previous seasons.

I honestly don’t care what we do. We’ll get a gun at pick 4 & we’ll get a gun with our first pick next year or if we trade it, we’ll get them this year.

You think it’s time?

So you didn’t like the Ballsy move to trade picks 10 & 68 two years ago for picks 23, 36 & 2017 pick 7?

Or 2 years before that when we traded picks 5 & 24 for Carlisle & Pick14 (Gresham)?

We’ve done plenty of ballsy shit during trade & draft periods recently. Problem is that we have no elite senior players bar Stuv, no elite leaders at all & a coach with a winning % just 6% better than Timmy ******* Watson.

Thank **** we recruited Hanners who gives us another elite senior player & leader even if he is a bit banged up. And bringing in Ratten & BLade is a sensational move after watching our shocking midfield & forward play in previous seasons.

I honestly don’t care what we do. We’ll get a gun at pick 4 & we’ll get a gun with our first pick next year or if we trade it, we’ll get them this year.
Yeah I see what you're saying but I just think 2 gun players now is worth more to us than gaining another next year.

I think Hannebery will be huge for us but just wish we'd make some more massive plays now, rather than wait for the system to take care of us.

I am frustrated, as most supporters are, with the constant rebuilding. If we top up in this year's draft, we may not need to even worry too much about going to the draft next year.

Yeah I see what you're saying but I just think 2 gun players now is worth more to us than gaining another next year.

I think Hannebery will be huge for us but just wish we'd make some more massive plays now, rather than wait for the system to take care of us.

I am frustrated, as most supporters are, with the constant rebuilding. If we top up in this year's draft, we may not need to even worry too much about going to the draft next year.
The perfect scenario is we trade our future first with Suns for a Top 10 pick this year. So we get 2 guns minimum at this year’s draft. If Adelaide/Port come to the party we may have 3. Win, win!

Swap our future 1st for pick 6 is a good risk for both teams.
We get top talent in immediately, GC who have two top picks this year have two top picks next year.

They will bank on us being in the bottom three which is better than current pick six. We accelerate recruitment of elite players.

If I was GC I would prefer
2018 2 & 3 and 2019 1 & 3
over
2018 2, 3 & 6 and 2019 1
unless next year is considered a poor top group.

From our perspective
2 of the special seven this year is probably better than a special and one possibly great next year.

I don't think we should give up Pick 4 unless we have a special deal which includes one of the top6 picks.

honestly i cant see why any of these clubs would do these hypothetical trades with us ... they are not in the business of making life easier for St Kilda so why would they help us unless they felt that they were going to benefit from the trade ... points are one thing but unless they are bidding on a player it means nothing and i just cant see it falling tht way ... the only way i see us having two picks in the first round is if we turn pick 4 into two picks and even then the more i think about it Port or the Crows would have to be super confident to give up two potentially good kids for one potentially great kid .. if it was St Kilda in their position i would be hoping we just keep our picks

If we do a swap of first round picks with Gold Coast, that is not going to help us this year, so I cant see the point.
would Gold Coast be interested in 4 and 36 for 6 an 24? It is not going to help us to get Smith or any other top ten or so player, but we would be moving from one end of the 2nd round to the other. Failing that, it is Port with 4 & 36 for 5 and 15.

If we do a swap of first round picks with Gold Coast, that is not going to help us this year, so I cant see the point.
would Gold Coast be interested in 4 and 36 for 6 an 24? It is not going to help us to get Smith or any other top ten or so player, but we would be moving from one end of the 2nd round to the other. Failing that, it is Port with 4 & 36 for 5 and 15.

the only thing that makes sense is if we are trading out a future first because we like someone in this draft and think bringing forward the development by 12 months is a good idea

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I cannot possibly see us trading pick 4 unless the final result is somehow converted into two top 10's this draft. Every other outcome (4 plus whatever for 6 & 15 etc etc) is just meaningless.

Trading Pick 4 has to provide a significant benefit - 6 and 15 simply is not good enough but the possibility of 2 of Rozee, M or B King, Smith, Caldwell is a bit exciting!!

Another idea I have not seen floated, 4 to the Bulldogs for 7 and 27. They also have 32 and 45, so we could work something out with them.

Trading 4 to 7 runs the risk of missing out on one of the elite players at the top end. In no way is it worth losing that only to gain pick 27, which would likely be in the 30’s by the time academy and father/son selections have played out.

Trading 4 to 7 runs the risk of missing out on one of the elite players at the top end. In no way is it worth losing that only to gain pick 27, which would likely be in the 30’s by the time academy and father/son selections have played out.

Agreed. Keep pick 4 no matter what now.

Sure trade 2019 1st for another top 10 pick if we can, but no way we let go of pick 4... pleeeease!

That would be a very silly trade. I hope to god this doesn’t happen
If we are eying off caldwell then it's not that silly, especially if the SA clubs don't come to the party. They might pull the trigger as they are heavily into Smith and might want to beat port to the punch.

We could try for ports 5 and 15 but I doubt they give that as they are interested in Smith who will still be there at 5 providing WB don't trade up and if they do they I think they would happily settle for rozee anyway

Best bet is with Adelaides 8 and 13 but that'll only happen if lukosius or rankine on the board otherwise they just take caldwell at 8

So honestly, if saints really want caldwell then a trade with WB may be the only chance we get otherwise we reach for him at 4. I'd rather the 'silly' option of taking him at 7 and getting 27 thrown in personally. Still a very probable chance Max King is still on the board at 7 also.

Last edited:
If we are eying off caldwell then it's not that silly, especially if the SA clubs don't come to the party. They might pull the trigger as they are heavily into Smith and might want to beat port to the punch.

We could try for ports 5 and 15 but I doubt they give that as they are interested in Smith who will still be there at 5 providing WB don't trade up and if they do they I think they would happily settle for rozee anyway

Best bet is with Adelaides 8 and 13 but that'll only happen if lukosius or rankine on the board otherwise they just take caldwell at 8

So honestly, if saints really want caldwell then a trade with WB may be the only chance we get otherwise we reach for him at 4. I'd rather the 'silly' option of taking him at 7 and getting 27 thrown in personally. Still a very probable chance Max King is still on the board at 7 also.
You really think M King will still be avail at 7?
I'd be amazed personally!

Tis getting all very confusing, even top 6 seems
to be suddenly changing daily!
I'm of the view of keeping 4 and just picking the best player
If we can do a deal that somehow also gets us another top 10 pick we should go for that too!
To hell with next season's draft. If 2019 is as bad as this year on field
we will be set for a big cleanout/clearout and the rebuild will have to begin again anyway!

I say we should give this group one last almighty push and see what it can produce
next season with the favorable draw!

You really think M King will still be avail at 7?
I'd be amazed personally!

Tis getting all very confusing, even top 6 seems
to be suddenly changing daily!
I'm of the view of keeping 4 and just picking the best player
If we can do a deal that somehow also gets us another top 10 pick we should go for that too!
To hell with next season's draft. If 2019 is as bad as this year on field
we will be set for a big cleanout/clearout and the rebuild will have to begin again anyway!

I say we should give this group one last almighty push and see what it can produce
next season with the favorable draw!
Yes I am very confident King will be there at 7.

Who do you believe takes him? We all know who Carlton will take and GC will almost certainly overlook him for SA or VC boys assuming they don't trade down pick 3 to adelaide (not that it will change the order). So there's 4 spots down. Port and WB are heavily into Bailey Smith. Port will take a SA kid if Smith isn't available (Rozee)
I firmly believe Max King gets to 7 quite easily and maybe even overlooked if it's the WB picking @ 7 as they may even prefer his brother.

Last edited:
Yes I am very confident King will be there at 7.

Who do you believe takes him? We all know who Carlton will take and GC will almost certainly overlook him for SA or VC boys assuming they don't trade down pick 3 to adelaide (not that it will change the order). So there's 4 spots down. Port and WB are heavily into Bailey Smith. Port will take a SA kid if Smith isn't available (Rozee)
I firmly believe Max King gets to 7 quite easily and maybe even overlooked if it's the WB picking @ 7 as they may even prefer his brother.

Remember last year when everyone thought Collingwood would overlook Stephenson? I wouldn't by it.
If Max is the player everyone claims port will snap him up at 5 if we don't take him at 4.

i have a feeling there could be a surprise in this draft. I think there is a bit of gamesmanship going on now that draft picks can be traded.
Wouldnt surprise me if Max goes at one or two. That will set a few things in motion, especially if Walsh went two and both SA kids are available at 4.
Perhaps GC grab Max at 2 and Ben at 6

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2018 St Kilda Trade Thread Part 4

Remove this Banner Ad

Back