Training 2019/20 Preseason Training

Remove this Banner Ad

Last years JLT I was impressed with Brander and thought he had a bit of Pendlebury type silk about him.

He never got a game so my hopes for him playing in 2020 are staying low.

I had Brander getting a few games this year but with getting Kelly and the determination that JK is showing with his approach to his fitness this preseason ..He Possibly remains as a good depth player ..

On SM-G925I using BigFooty.com mobile app

Games watched on a telly or in a stadium, does the speed of the game and size of the players no favours. At ground level, you get a great appreciation of how heavy the hits are, how frantic the speed is and just how big the players really are! Real eye opener.
I used to sit a few rows off the fence at subi from time to time. It was great to be able to appreciate how tough the players are. Those old guys from the 80s who lament the game going soft, have no idea how tough it is. The players from today would absolutely destroy them.

Can also confirm that Shannon Hurn is a big unit. I still remember when he busted Franklin's ribs in 2017, that was a hit that most wouldn't get up from.

I used to sit a few rows off the fence at subi from time to time. It was great to be able to appreciate how tough the players are. Those old guys from the 80s who lament the game going soft, have no idea how tough it is. The players from today would absolutely destroy them.

Can also confirm that Shannon Hurn is a big unit. I still remember when he busted Franklin's ribs in 2017, that was a hit that most wouldn't get up from.
Never heard an old guy from the 80s self included say the game has gone soft . Maybe they were joking about the concussions etc tongue in cheek and the sarcasm went over your head .

All the old timers comment on it going soft. They claim Mathews as the GOAT because he was so tough. He was thug who whacked players off the ball. That rubbish is out if the game now, as it should be. They mistake thuggery for toughness. The players these days are bigger, stronger, and hit contest at much higher speeds than the old part time footballers from back in the day. You can’t shirk a contest ever these days, cause of the constant coverage and scrutiny on all players, wasn’t like that in the old days.

The old VFL dinosaurs can claim they were tougher, but if they played against modern day players, they’d get shown up every time.

All the old timers comment on it going soft. They claim Mathews as the GOAT because he was so tough. He was thug who whacked players off the ball. That rubbish is out if the game now, as it should be. They mistake thuggery for toughness. The players these days are bigger, stronger, and hit contest at much higher speeds than the old part time footballers from back in the day. You can’t shirk a contest ever these days, cause of the constant coverage and scrutiny on all players, wasn’t like that in the old days.

The old VFL dinosaurs can claim they were tougher, but if they played against modern day players, they’d get shown up every time.

Its sort of like the the MMA. Sure when it came out these guys pioneered fighting in the octagon but if you watch the fights now from the early UFC's and Pride events you can see how much the sport has evolved. The old techniques wouldn't stand a chance in the modern MMA.

Evolution of any sport and the athletes that play them is amazing. Credit to the old firm too for paving the way but the speed of the game is ridiculous now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A fair portion of the comments about the softness of the game related to the "bump is dead" movement I reckon.
It was the demise of the bump/shirt front for sure but also the no contact on a forward by a defender interpretation for years frustrated a lot of us old timers. Previously, if you had eyes on the footy, you could effectively spoil the ball and take out the forward - the Worsefold special. Sometimes this was unfairly but most of the time it was a good contest at the ball. The over the top contact below the knees interpretation/rule and the guy making the play getting pinged holding the ball encouraging corralling/being second to the ball etc also didn't help. Some of this has been rectified. Personally, it is the constant rule changes that I think get all fans frustrated.

But there is no doubt the game is as tough as ever and far more professional and faster/more athletic. Good riddance to the thuggery and whilst I love the big bumps and shirt fronts, there is good reason these are effectively out of the game now given the known consequences.

Its sort of like the the MMA. Sure when it came out these guys pioneered fighting in the octagon but if you watch the fights now from the early UFC's and Pride events you can see how much the sport has evolved. The old techniques wouldn't stand a chance in the modern MMA.

Evolution of any sport and the athletes that play them is amazing. Credit to the old firm too for paving the way but the speed of the game is ridiculous now.
If you're telling me that the sleeper hold, atomic drop and the claw hold would not stand up today then I'm calling bulls**t!

Last edited:

It’s been mentioned earlier but this is as close to official confirmation of our train-on players I’ve seen

West Coast has invited four players to train over the summer, including former No. 4 pick Jarrod Pickett, who parted ways with Carlton midway through last year, after starting his career at Greater Western Sydney.

Adam Simpson’s side also has ex-Docker Brady Grey, Isaya McKenzie and Nicolas Reid – who starred for the Eagles’ reserves in the WAFL last year – training with them.

Also, anyone know who the Channel Ten reporter in the red is? Asking for a friend.

Marlon Wayans.

MV5BMTY3OTg2OTM3OV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwNzY5OTA3._V1_.jpg

As his sponsor I thoroughly endorse this post and assessment from Gaff. I think this will be his break out year.

We’ve always known he was fit & athletic but he’s taking it to the next level this preseason. Bodes well for 2020 when you’ve got 3rd/4th year players leading the charge fitness wise in preseason.

Remove this Banner Ad

Training 2019/20 Preseason Training

Remove this Banner Ad

Back