2019 4th Ashes Test 2019 Old Trafford

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This should be the end of Starc’s test career.

He should just concentrate on what he does well for the last 4-5 years of his career.

Continually being 50% more expensive than the next best bowler is unacceptable and just releases all pressure.

There’s a reason this bowling attack has looked world class for the last month and it’s purely because of his absence.

He should just concentrate on what he does well for the last 4-5 years of his career.

Continually being 50% more expensive than the next best bowler is unacceptable and just releases all pressure.

There’s a reason this bowling attack has looked world class for the last month and it’s purely because of his absence.

Based on what we saw last innings, maybe Starc should reinvent himself as a batsman and gain selection based on that - he did in one innings what most of our batsmen couldn't do this whole series.

On the other hand, apart from Stokes, England's batting line up has been even worse and on home soil to boot.

View attachment 741797

Absolutely it has - how Roy kept his place is anyone's guess. But that's their problem to solve as they go the next series. Unfortunately we also have issues that may look like they don't exist after our summer on our roads.

Fairly evenly poised, if not slighting in our favour
By evenly poised, you mean a win by Australia and the draw? England are no chance at winning.

Agree with others, a lot depends on whether we can get them out before lunch. Will set us up nicely. Then Lyon will have to do what he hasn’t since the first test. Bowl well and take wickets. I mean Leach is outdoing him.

could have had more wickets but has also bowled a lot of overs down the wrong line.
This!
With the ball turning as far as it has, anything that wasn't going to hit off stump (or wider) was turned to leg for runs, EVERY time.
While I'm at it, he could bowl a dead straight non-tweaked ball on occasion too, for effective/dangerous variety.

Based on what we saw last innings, maybe Starc should reinvent himself as a batsman and gain selection based on that - he did in one innings what most of our batsmen couldn't do this whole series.

If he did I'm sure he could easily push past Harris & Wade's Test averages. They're only a handful of runs ahead of him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hope you're a ranga too --- only a ginger can call another ginger "ginger". ;)

I could lie and say yes but no I'm not. Guess that means you've outed me for ginger discrimination. I admit it, I'm a gingerist. Actually, on reflection I only really hate Pommie gingers. Can't think of a label for that affliction. :)

Last edited:
Lyon has done sweet fu** all since the 1st test.
This deck will suit him more then Headingley which basically went dead

This should have some bite in it for him. I would be worried for us if he had no impact on day 5

This is almost the exact circumstance they would have hope for when they picked him

We have runs to play with on a potential up and down day 4/5 deck.

If he rolls the tail quickly or knocks over Root/Stokes with a Jaffa he has done his the job they would have picked him for .

Was a worry early, but once Burns luck ran out and the Root conversion curse kicked in Hazlewood got us right back on top.
I'm content with Burns and Root averaging 46 (@ SR 42) and 35 (@ SR 43) respectively.
That gives us their #1 and #4 for 81, 2/81, off about 190 balls.
Add Denly and Roy and they're about 4/110, from around 45 overs.
(Yeah, I know averages don't pan out like that in reality, but I hope they keep picking Burns, Denly and Roy, lest they drop them for better-performing batsmen eg like Labuschagne).

Shows how poor England's batting stocks are when they are picking guys like Denly and Roy who are clearly not up to test standard.

They would have been better off going back to the likes of Vince and Malan, they weren't great either but they were still better than Denly and Roy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back