2019 5th Ashes Test 12-17 September - The Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

I think everyone would have taken a series draw at the start. Its clear fatigue has set in this last test, dropped catches, strange decision making, frustration becoming more apparent. Not unreasonable considering they all could potentially apply for citizenship considering the time they have been there.

Dissapointing but the hyperbole is pretty wack. First captain since 2001 to retain the ashes and his reward is to be ridiculed. If you want to play the blame game the most obvious target would be Warner. If our second most productive batsman and most senior player had come close to contributing in any sense at all the series would probably have been won.

Absolutely no chance we chase 400+ in the 4th innings on a day 4/5 deck, Smith would have to make 250+ and the others would have to hang around with him for long enough to enable him to do that.

The team needs a big reset before the home summer. It's got too many happy passengers.

Harris out for Burns or Renshaw.
I'd love to see the back of Warner too but Langer loves him, no way he doesn't start at home.
Labu and Smith both locks.
Wade out for Head. He's just not good enough at test level. Nice for him to force his way back in but his story should end here.
MMarsh out for Patterson. Wickets should not keep you in the top 6. He can't bat, Patterson can.
Paine out for Carey. Might not happen straight away but start the transition throughout the summer.
Siddle out for Pattinson.

By the end of the summer I hope we see

Burns
Renshaw
Labushagne
Smith
Head
Patterson
Carey
Cummins
Pattinson
Lyon
Hazlewood

Pucovski 12th man

That's a team both for now and the future

Joe Burns
Matthew Renshaw

Marnus Labuschagne
Steve Smith
Will Pucovski
Kurtis Patterson
Mitch Marsh

Alex Carey

Nathan Lyon
Pat Cummins
Josh Hazelwood

Mitchell Starc 12th man

This team will be unbeatable

I think everyone would have taken a series draw at the start. Its clear fatigue has set in this last test, dropped catches, strange decision making, frustration becoming more apparent. Not unreasonable considering they all could potentially apply for citizenship considering the time they have been there.

Dissapointing but the hyperbole is pretty wack. First captain since 2001 to retain the ashes and his reward is to be ridiculed. If you want to play the blame game the most obvious target would be Warner. If our second most productive batsman and most senior player had come close to contributing in any sense at all the series would probably have been won.
Just blindly giving credit to the captain shows a complete lack of knowledge. Paine has been extremely lucky to have the number bat and bowler in the world both at his disposal to save us multiple times

Joe Burns
Matthew Renshaw

Marnus Labuschagne
Steve Smith
Will Pucovski
Kurtis Patterson
Mitch Marsh

Alex Carey

Nathan Lyon
Pat Cummins
Josh Hazelwood

Mitchell Starc 12th man

This team will be unbeatable
Yeah a middle order that has no proven test ability is unbeatable

Why did we have no chance before? Because England played good one dayers?
Going in to this series we knew the batting options were weaker than 2015, even if Warner had played at normal Warner in England levels. What we didn't know was how amazing Smith would be.
We knew Engalnd could collapse, especially in first innings. We knew Australia would collapse, it was a matter of how often and hoping it would be in rain affected games that ended in a draw.

It was only England's top order weakness that made it seem plausible for Australia to be competitive in any match. Actually winning two is well above that expectation.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah a middle order that has no proven test ability is unbeatable
At the end of the Australian summer you'll be thanking me for this line up suggestion. These are players with huge potential and a much larger upside than the current team. Play them now and Australia will smash England 5-0 in 2021/2022.

At the end of the Australian summer you'll be thanking me for this line up suggestion. These are players with huge potential and a much larger upside than the current team. Play them now and Australia will smash England 5-0 in 2021/2022.
In Australia, the current line up could score runs. Even Warner, probably. Selection isn't the problem. Lack of talent, technique and smarts is a much bigger issue. And belongs at least as much with those outside the squad as those in it.

We ain’t chasing this total down but it’s a pretty vital day or two for a lot guys in the batting line up.

Dead rubber or not there are plenty of players who have won , kept or lost spots based on a last test performance .

We should have plenty of guys desperate to make a decent a score on a deck that is good to bat on.

No I won't. We spank England out here anyway

Having the world cup scheduled before the Ashes means a long campaign for some dual code players. That must of taken a toll as well. Plus not batting first to give the bowlers an extra days rest has back fired.

Is there a calendar option I can automatically add the Sheffield Shield competition and test matches to my outlook calendar?

Or do I have to enter every single game manually?

Going in to this series we knew the batting options were weaker than 2015, even if Warner had played at normal Warner in England levels. What we didn't know was how amazing Smith would be.
We knew Engalnd could collapse, especially in first innings. We knew Australia would collapse, it was a matter of how often and hoping it would be in rain affected games that ended in a draw.

It was only England's top order weakness that made it seem plausible for Australia to be competitive in any match. Actually winning two is well above that expectation.
Yeah like I said we were never a no chance side

What do people think our max score is?

Smith could make 200
Labuschagne could make 50
The rest of the top order (I refuse to call them batsmen) could scrape 50
The bowlers plus Siddle could make 70

Remove this Banner Ad

2019 5th Ashes Test 12-17 September - The Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

Back