2019 5th Ashes Test 12-17 September - The Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

I’m pissed off with them all, the way they celebrated retaining the ashes between tests when the series was still up for grabs was crap. Sure have a few quiet beers out of the public eye to celebrate, but the carry on was just unprofessional.
Dropped catches, no ball wickets, poo reviews (although in fairness they’ve done that all series) they checked out before this game started & im finding it hard to watch them.

Absolutely piss weak effort this test!!

Denly dropped on 0 by Harris...that was such an easy catch...I was really upbeat about him before the series but wow he has given us nothing to be optimistic about.

Langer will go to his love child Bancroft for the Aussie summer now to open with Warner. Worst possible result!

The way Warner, Harris, Wade etc have been kept in the side, is like back when Carlton had Ellard and Dennis running around in the 1s without anyone in the 2s testing their places in the side...

What do people think our max score is?

Smith could make 200
Labuschagne could make 50
The rest of the top order (I refuse to call them batsmen) could scrape 50
The bowlers plus Siddle could make 70

We’ll be lucky to make over 200. Never seem to fight out a test match.

Watched the start of Paines press conference thing after the days play. Was he really being a smart arse when someone asked him about not using DRS very well during the whole series.
DRS has shown to me that for the most part professional cricketers aren't that much of a better judge of what's out than us mugs.

If Smith is batting purely for the draw, I can't see them getting him out. Just need another couple of guys to bat for a session or two. Mitch Marsh is actually pretty decent when he puts the shots away and plays to survive. Should just block it out and see where we're at at tea day 5. None of this play your natural game still.

DRS has shown to me that for the most part professional cricketers aren't that much of a better judge of what's out than us mugs.

I just didn’t like the way he answered that question. No need to be a smart arse when clearly you’ve ****ed up at least 6+ lbws that would’ve been reversed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah 380 run lead fully expected

The game is over but I want to see some fight from us this 2nd innings

Very important innings for a few of our left handers Coming up

It’s up to them to work out how to play around the wicket bowling ...I do not want to see our lefties missing half volleys on there pads and getting out lbw due to umpires call ...hit the bloody thing !!

Mitch marsh I want to see runs he looked good in the first innings apart from his hook to fine leg..important innings coming up from him

Let’s see if we can get it deep into the fifth day

They obviously hit the jungle juice after retaining the ashes and with a game 3 days later..have not backed up. 2 Batters and the platoon of bowlers will retain their spots the rest are up for grabs. Burns Patterson should get another go. Warner needs to go back to the Shield and make some runs. We have survived the debacle in SA. The suspensions have been served. The first cracks in the new regime have surfaced. Langer and his left handed BS strategy has not worked. Paine has some flaws and is on the wane as a cricketer. But well done done Tim I like you I like your style but Australia need to start looking at what comes next. YOUNG keepers need to be looked at and batsman with red ball techniques. Smith back to Captain role by 2021. Test cricket once again shows us that technique and resilience are the keys not wam bam thank you man stuff. Yep Botham did maybe once or twice..Stokes has done it once and whilst those cameos are legendary and well remembered they are not the key to long term success.

Buttler is not upto it. It’s time they shipped him off. They picked him on the back of white ball form and are to stubborn to say they got it wrong
Applies to some of our blokes eg
Warner is not up to it. It’s time they shipped him off. They picked him on the back of white ball form and are too stubborn to say they got it wrong.
Harris is not up to it. It’s time they shipped him off. They picked him on the back of previous form and are too stubborn to say they got it wrong.

Is there a calendar option I can automatically add the Sheffield Shield competition and test matches to my outlook calendar?

Or do I have to enter every single game manually?

Yup on Cricinfo

Buttler has a better batting average AND is a better keeper, so yea no s**t he'd be an upgrade on Wade Paine. Wade Paine is a terrible test batsmen.
Ftfy ;)
Paine, yes. Wade, no --- Wade is one of only 4 batsmen to get a ton this series.
Only 3 batsmen are averaging 50+ (Smith, Stokes, LabuSmith), then daylight, then 3 averaging 30+ (Burns, Rooted, Dimly). Wade (220/24.44) is 8th, only just behind Buttler 247/ 24.70). Wade is the third-best Aussie batsman o_O, one of only 3 in the Top 9 (and yet we've retained the Ashes!!).
The batsman with the 3rd-best batting avge. for Oz was incomprehensively dropped (Travis Head).

If Australia loose this Test Tim Paine will wear most of the flak but the decision to put the opposition in has Langer written all over it.
Actually, Langer and Paine had discussed it and the decision was to bat if the toss was won. Paine changed his mind, looking at the green-top and the cloudy conditions, despite The Oval being renowned as a batting deck. That "Captain's call" was as bad a decision as several of his DRS calls (and non-calls).
"The decision [to bowl first] certainly took coach Justin Langer by surprise, but Langer told ABC Grandstand after play that he had to be prepared to back the captain's decisions on the field, including at the toss.
There were plenty of good reasons for Paine to bat first. Principally that his own personal run machine, Steve Smith, averages nearly 94 in the first innings of Test matches, compared to 65 in the second and 51 in the third. Of his 26 career centuries, 16 have come batting first."
(https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-09...ine-drop-the-ball-with-the-oval-toss/11508658)
The discussion re: Smith above was the best reason for Oz to bat first. Never mind backing in tired, hungover bowlers to do the job.
Paine should've backed in Smith.

Remove this Banner Ad

2019 5th Ashes Test 12-17 September - The Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

Back