2019 5th Ashes Test 12-17 September - The Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

Australia will chase a total of around 400 on a fourth and fifth day wicket. That is what is likely to happen when you put the opposition in and the reason why most competent Captains are reluctant to do it.

If Australia loose this Test Tim Paine will wear most of the flak but the decision to put the opposition in has Langer written all over it. You would think after Lords Australia would have learned something but apparently not. Had rain not intervened at Lords, England would not have declared their second innings and Australia would almost certainly have lost.

Let us hope Australia can salvage something from the Fifth Test train wreck and bring off a remarkable victory.
Had it not rained at Lord's we would've batted first. Paine said as much at the time

To have any chance of drawing/winning this match, we need Smith, Labu and someone else to score over 50. Who that someone else is, is anyone's guess. Wade probably the most likely.

I doubt we can as we are almost certain to lose both openers before the score hits 50.
You’d have to say that extra 50 would more likely be coming from one of the bowlers

I think everyone would have taken a series draw at the start. Its clear fatigue has set in this last test, dropped catches, strange decision making, frustration becoming more apparent. Not unreasonable considering they all could potentially apply for citizenship considering the time they have been there.

Dissapointing but the hyperbole is pretty wack. First captain since 2001 to retain the ashes and his reward is to be ridiculed. If you want to play the blame game the most obvious target would be Warner. If our second most productive batsman and most senior player had come close to contributing in any sense at all the series would probably have been won.
On the point of “fatigue setting in”, why does it only apply to one team? If anything, England would have an equal claim on fatigue given the emotional intensity of going all the way in the WC and the way it ended.

A Smith 150, Warner 50, Lab 35, Wade 30, Marsh 25, Harris 15 and a cameo from our tailenders and we might get close!
Bolded are unrealistic, the rest are very possible

If by some miracle our openers actually put on a stand I can imagine England getting a bit fidgety quite fast. They've been used to getting us 2/20 all series and I think if we somehow got for 1/100 I think the idea of this being the score with Smith to come could actually get them worrying quite quickly. Obviously the problem with this being Smith is more likely to make 300 than our openers are to get into double digits

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nice try.
Langer has said he wanted to bat and that's what the plan was just before the toss.

Apparently, Paine changed his mind at the last minute on a hunch.

The Oval is not the only time Paine has asked England to bat. I assume his decision at Lords was also based on a hunch? I accept the explanation but it doesn't actually fill me with confidence.

Had it not rained at Lord's we would've batted first. Paine said as much at the time

Not entirely sure how that works but Tim Paine obviously had his reasoning behind it.

After having to play to save the Test at Lords I would have thought Paine would have been wary of batting last. It is not about the opposition batting first as much as the possibility of batting last on a five day old wicket.

Anyone can make a mistake but you really have to learn from that mistake and not repeat the episode.

Last edited:
Well done sending them in Captain Useless
Paine is big boy and can probably handle what will thrown at him from all directions after this Test but posts like this and others that criticism should at least try to resemble something constructive.

On the point of “fatigue setting in”, why does it only apply to one team? If anything, England would have an equal claim on fatigue given the emotional intensity of going all the way in the WC and the way it ended.
One of the teams has stayed at home the whole time, and the other team has spent the entire time in a different hemisphere.

Paine is big boy and can probably handle what will thrown at him from all directions after this Test but posts like this and others that criticism should at least try to resemble something constructive.

It’s simple you don’t send teams in and especially not on a flat road in England. It was dumb at the time and it’s even dumber now. Honestly we lost this test then and there.

Nah we've got this one in the bag. We'll be chasing 404 to win, with the modern day version of Bradman scoring 173 not out. The only thing I haven't worked out is which one of our openers will play the Arthur Morris role and score 182 - maybe Warner will be dropped 12 times, play and miss 47 times, and be dismissed off a no ball 5 times.....

Remove this Banner Ad

2019 5th Ashes Test 12-17 September - The Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

Back