2019 5th Ashes Test 12-17 September - The Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

Jimmy Anderson of all people complaining England don't get help from the home pitches, fu** me ashes losses really do send the poms off the deep end.

If we got these decks in 2015 in the boof era we would have been rolled for under 100 multiple times.

Trent Bridge 2015 would have become Headingley 2019.

Australia don't necessarily make pitches that suit their side's strengths, as our Melbourne/Sydney pitches were sufficiently flat to allow the Indian batsmen to score plenty of runs. Of course, our batting lineup didn't have the skill to do so against India's quality bowling lineup, and this would have been known by the powers above. Not sour grapes, Park cricketer - there's no doubt that India's batting lineup was far more equipped to cash-in on friendly batting decks than ours ever was.

Besides, the weather in Old Trafford during the first day was certainly cloudy enough for England's bowlers to wreak havoc if they bowled well enough, which with the exception of Broad they didn't really. The conditions at Headingley favoured ENG much more than they did Australia, for any number of reasons. Plus they had their window of opportunity to shoot us out for 130 at Edgbaston and didn't take advantage.

I agree, there is nothing wrong in saying that the Melbourne and Sydney wickets in the last India series were very flat. Actually that was why Bumrah running through Australia in the first innings on a flat deck was so impressive I thought. I think Adelaide and especially Perth wickets were fantastic to watch as a spectator.

As far as Anderson is concerned, there is no doubt that there is a lot of sour grapes in his statement. In fact, he always acts like a bit of a sore loser and even after the last Indian tour of England, he said that he thought he still had the wood over Kohli and insinuated that luck had played a factor in Kohli not getting out to him even once that series and going on to score 600 runs. That being said, despite the sour grapes whinging, I think it's partly true as well. I actually expected different wickets in this series because the Australian batting line up wasn't a settled one. Even on English style wickets, it's not a given that they would have won but the fact of the matter is that, they simply don't stand a chance against Australia on Australian style wickets because their bowlers don't have anywhere near the same venom as their Australian counterparts when there is no lateral movement to aid them. I think they must have been planning for greentops only, but just got spooked by the Ireland test performance at Lords and prepared wickets on the flatter side instead.

Now Jimmy adds to the talk..

He's just pissed off that we've got bowlers bowling the proper length. He's not used to that. Neither am I. It's the one thing that I was worried about. Don't know why now!

England talked a fair bit before the series about how smith struggled in the north of england last tour, they seemed to feel he only made runs on the flat decks in england and i think they still need to believe he hasn't simply been too good for them even when the bowlers have run through the rest in helpful conditions, to them smith cashes in when its batting friendly so therefore it must have been batting friendly all series because smith is cashing in.

From our pov this is great news and i hope its not just jimmy thinking this way, blaming the decks rather than englands fragile batting or it's bowlers inability to handle smith won't help england fix their issues and it certainly won't help Englands mindset when they take on smith down under on what really will be batting friendly decks, if others are thinking like jimmy then that ashes will be over before the plane touches down.

My tips:
Probable change: Marsh for Wade or Head (Wade more likely to get the chop, but it's a genuine 50/50 call)

That partnership with Steve Smith was absolutely crucial in our victory. It was a 34 that was as good as a 75 considering the circumstances. There should be no chance of Wade losing his spot. We want him confident going into a home summer on pitches where he has dominated for the past two years as well.

That partnership with Steve Smith was absolutely crucial in our victory. It was a 34 that was as good as a 75 considering the circumstances. There should be no chance of Wade losing his spot. We want him confident going into a home summer on pitches where he has dominated for the past two years as well.

Exactly. Wade played a crucial knock to help steady us last test, head on the other hand is looking worse and worse as the tour goes on he has no ability to leave the one moving away from him and just flashes early and often and is then being totally undone by the one swinging in.

Looks like Cummins will be rested. Pattinson surely comes in but I'd like Siddle to be given a bit of a send off before Patto gets a real crack at home over the summer

Won't be watching if Marsh is recalled either

Root got a green top aganst Ireland and then specifically asked that the pitches in the Ashes not be like that. I don't think England even know what pitch they want.

A white ball and a flat road?

Jimmy Anderson of all people complaining England don't get help from the home pitches, fu** me ashes losses really do send the poms off the deep end.

If we got these decks in 2015 in the boof era we would have been rolled for under 100 multiple times.
They weren't helped by a geriatric declaring himself fit in the first Test more than pitches

(apologies if he didn't declare himself fit, remember reading he did his own fitness Test but that could've been BS).

I agree, there is nothing wrong in saying that the Melbourne and Sydney wickets in the last India series were very flat. Actually that was why Bumrah running through Australia in the first innings on a flat deck was so impressive I thought. I think Adelaide and especially Perth wickets were fantastic to watch as a spectator.

As far as Anderson is concerned, there is no doubt that there is a lot of sour grapes in his statement. In fact, he always acts like a bit of a sore loser and even after the last Indian tour of England, he said that he thought he still had the wood over Kohli and insinuated that luck had played a factor in Kohli not getting out to him even once that series and going on to score 600 runs. That being said, despite the sour grapes whinging, I think it's partly true as well. I actually expected different wickets in this series because the Australian batting line up wasn't a settled one. Even on English style wickets, it's not a given that they would have won but the fact of the matter is that, they simply don't stand a chance against Australia on Australian style wickets because their bowlers don't have anywhere near the same venom as their Australian counterparts when there is no lateral movement to aid them. I think they must have been planning for greentops only, but just got spooked by the Ireland test performance at Lords and prepared wickets on the flatter side instead.
Have to say, always appreciate reading your posts on any cricket topic. Always insightful and well written to the point they should be published in a proper article.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don’t even see what’s wrong with the Leach thing? Leach is clearly aware he’s a quirky character and seems to embrace it. Good on him for that. But there’s nothing offensive about what Smith did - is it funny not really. But hardly worth taking umbrage to. Smith has completely broken the English and I love it.

You no we are doing the job when the true Whinging poms show their heads I love it makes me laugh all day...And think Cummins should have a rest and Patto comes back in

Surely Warner cannot play.

Any other player in the squad would do a better job than him, batsman or bowler.

Warner will play. I don't like it but he'll play.

I'd drop Harris first anyway

We can't do worse than the Harris/Bancroft -Warner pairing, but we could do better.

I'd open with Paine and drop Warner down to 5. Our openers are giving us nothing, and Broad and Archer seem lethal against left handers in particular.

Paine has lots of experience opening the batting on seaming decks (admittedly from early in his career) and is a right hander.

I'd go a lineup of:

Harris
Paine
Labuschagne
Smith
Warner
Head
Wade
Starc
Cummins (or Pattinson)
Lyon
Hazelwood

On moto g(6) play using BigFooty.com mobile app

Surely Warner cannot play.

Any other player in the squad would do a better job than him, batsman or bowler.

Who would you replace him with? Someone else who has already been dropped. I guess I'd seriously look at Bancroft and Harris as openers for the simple reason that they both could be the future whereas Warner it appears is not.

The match isn't a dead-rubber though. Don't underestimate the desire of this squad to not just retain the Ashes but actually win a series in England. Then again 5 days may not be enough time to dismiss Steve Smith twice in a match where a draw is very nearly as good as a win.

We can't do worse than the Harris/Bancroft -Warner pairing, but we could do better.

I'd open with Paine and drop Warner down to 5. Our openers are giving us nothing, and Broad and Archer seem lethal against left handers in particular.

Paine has lots of experience opening the batting on seaming decks (admittedly from early in his career) and is a right hander.

That actually may not be the worst idea. Paine has the technique to blunt the new ball, he can probably do just as a good a job at making a useful 30 odd and hanging around for a bit as an opener as a number 7. Warner still has the ability to smash a non-moving ball around (as seen in the IPL and WC) so perhaps a move to the middle order wouldn't be the worst thing for him.

A white ball and a flat road?

Yeah surely the only pitch that suits England is an absolute road.

We have better quicks and better spinner so have them covered there.

Broad would still eat up our lefties and Bairstow and Buttler might score some runs.

Sure they'd never get Smith out but they can't now anyway.

Remove this Banner Ad

2019 5th Ashes Test 12-17 September - The Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

Back