2019 Bendigo Football League

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it still a case of the good kids that come to Bendigo for high school being pilfered by the strong Bendigo teams, as was the problem a few years back?

Speaking to a bloke in the township no more than a few weeks back. Seems there’s a massive divide in the running of the club.
I still think they’ve made a massive mistake, and have put themselves in a fair hole for the next few years by appointing Filo/s.

Maybe you
Is it still a case of the good kids that come to Bendigo for high school being pilfered by the strong Bendigo teams, as was the problem a few years back?

Speaking to a bloke in the township no more than a few weeks back. Seems there’s a massive divide in the running of the club.
I still think they’ve made a massive mistake, and have put themselves in a fair hole for the next few years by appointing Filo/s.

Maybe that is the case but the problems run much deeper. Footy across the Goldfields region is in heaps of trouble. Too many teams, not enough players, the stronger clubs getting stronger and with junior participation numbers reducing, these are all major factors in why clubs such as Castlemaine are in trouble. If you look at the weekly results in both the MCDFNL and the Central Highlands league the problems are very evident - lop sided results, forfeits and situations where some clubs will never be in contention to play finals due to the gulf between top and bottom.

The Bendigo league is in a similar predicament - massive differences between top and bottom sides and a level of predictability every year. As a spectator, I certainly have lost interest and I am sure many others like me are the same.

Some serious work needs to be done on improving the sustainability of clubs and their level of competitiveness as if the status quo continues we may see clubs slide into oblivion. Perhaps some clubs do also need to “swallow their pride” and consider mergers before the inevitable happens. It should also be noted the efforts of TAC clubs in directing players to not “play with their home club” is also not helping as its making stronger clubs even stronger.

That's a fair geographical distance, Campbells creek, Maine, maldon, newstead need to be one club, sharing their grounds to get the best local players back, at their best the Maine always had a core 12-15 locals that were guns and then topped up.

It would be great to see brodie filo take on the challenge and co-coach with Derrick and shaun next year, I think the better locals would come in from the minor leagues and if they could keep monfries that be huge.

Is a merger with Maryborough possible?

Troy Coates hasn’t lasted long as Strath coach, if the stories are correct.
Thought like his stint at Kerang, he would have had a solid stint as coach. Seems strange.

Thought like his stint at Kerang, he would have had a solid stint as coach. Seems strange.

What have you heard? He has coached pretty much non stop for a long time when you combine his time at Strath, Kerang and Nightcliffe

What have you heard? He has coached pretty much non stop for a long time when you combine his time at Strath, Kerang and Nightcliffe

Just that he’s pulling the pin at the end of the year. Maybe he’s just had enough of winning flags, and potentially winning flags.

Will wait a week until I let that one slip so I don't reveal my source - also hearing several reserves players are on the move causing unrest amongst key people in the club. Trouble in paradise

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They haven't won this year's flag yet, with eaglehawk looking pretty good, and gizzy if Goodyear McKenna, young and bernacki fire come finals, even square and sandy could trouble the top 3

Will wait a week until I let that one slip so I don't reveal my source - also hearing several reserves players are on the move causing unrest amongst key people in the club. Trouble in paradise

Would think that their 2’s would be ripe for the picking..some good players in that side that would be regulars in other teams

They haven't won this year's flag yet, with eaglehawk looking pretty good, and gizzy if Goodyear McKenna, young and bernacki fire come finals, even square and sandy could trouble the top 3

Noone is saying they have won the flag yet Trent I think you could throw a blanket over all 3 teams for this years final series.

I watched Golden Square and Sandhurst on the weekend - great game and a decent quality but cant see either of them kicking enough goals in finals to challenge

also hearing several reserves players are on the move causing unrest amongst key people in the club. Trouble in paradise
District level clubs should be all over them, joints always ripe for the picking if there's unrest.

He only signed for 2 years but would have been lucky to get it again for a 3rd from what I heard. I'm hearing Darryl Wilson will step back into the role with a Co Coach playing as he sometimes does. I thought that was always on the cards with him getting involved their again this Season.

He only signed for 2 years but would have been lucky to get it again for a 3rd from what I heard. I'm hearing Darryl Wilson will step back into the role with a Co Coach playing as he sometimes does. I thought that was always on the cards with him getting involved their again this Season.

Everything I’ve heard from being at the club has been positive about Coatsey

I call bullshit, 32 out of 37 runner up last year, coached gf wins in the past, one of the most respected coaches in lower levels all across Aus, and was chased for the role

No knock on his coaching as record speaks for itself, but is Troy Coates in Strath's best team? As a player and wanting to continue to play I'm not sure he is in their best 22. Does this make the decision for him?

No knock on his coaching as record speaks for itself, but is Troy Coates in Strath's best team? As a player and wanting to continue to play I'm not sure he is in their best 22. Does this make the decision for him?
Yeah Ive heard they havent rated his on field performances. Ive got nothing against Coates but thats what ive heard on multiple occasions that they reckon he has struggled on field and Coaching has been fair but hard to match the bench mark in Darryl Wilson for the work he would have put in.

Yeah Ive heard they havent rated his on field performances. Ive got nothing against Coates but thats what ive heard on multiple occasions that they reckon he has struggled on field and Coaching has been fair but hard to match the bench mark in Darryl Wilson for the work he would have put in.

To be fair to Troy he has played so much back to back footy it’s taken a toll on his body. I’ve seen quite a few of their home games the last 2 years and his done more than enough to warrant his spot. Not at his best but still worthy of his spot

Let’s not forget that at his best he was one of the most dynamic players going around. Certainly amongst the best few that I played against.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back