2019 Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Talent in ND
Needs in RD
That's just doesn't make sense to have that blanket rule.

If the best talent at each pick is a ruckman we aren't taking 4 ruckmen in the draft.

Talent first unless there are similar needs players available. So the most talented player at 41 might be a small forward but if our 44th rated player is an available KPD then you can bet we are rightly taking the defender.

At our picks, the best available talent is usually a fairly wide blanket, so we can afford to middle between needs and talent.

Stack is 19, Bolton is 20 (21 in December), Rioli is 22, Castagna is 23.
Each could well play for a decade.
Flippant to claim we need more small forwards at this stage.
The first shortage will emerge in defence and that's where this year the priority should lie.

Watch out for the name Jack Mahoney 177 m 70kgs small foward who trained with us earlier in the year
could be a smokie for our later pick's

Watch out for the name Jack Mahoney 177 m 70kgs small foward who trained with us earlier in the year
could be a smokie for our later pick's
THE_GUN & Mahoney.
Mahoney.gif

Attachments

• Mahoney.gif
    Mahoney.gif
    2.7 MB · Views: 141
  • Mahoney.gif
    Mahoney.gif
    2.7 MB · Views: 103
The Gun what's your take on the jets boy Cassar can play hbf and midfield.
Have not seen him play , I dont get to alot of these games and get alot of my info from a friend who watches the tac and follows it a fair bit and sends me some footage of the types he likes.

Just called him and his opinion is that Darcy needs to play more inside and has abit of the brandon Ellis about him :'( but a better kick

Talent in ND
Needs in RD
Don't agree with that suggestion entirely.

I see the needs being a couple of inside mids, a couple of outside mids/flankers and a couple of KPPs.

With our first pick I want us to take the best available that ideally also fills a need.

With later picks I'd prefer we address list needs over best available as it keeps the list better balanced instead of overloading in one area.

I believe our recruiters have started to lean towards this philosophy as the coaches like to have the AFL & VFL sides being able to play the same structures and set ups to allow players coming in to the side to more easily adjust to the change.

I believe our policy (like most clubs) is to draft best available early and then focus more on needs with later picks.
Agree with that. however our recent early picks have been late teens early twenties so maybe in those situations there’s a little more freedom to look at needs basis.
All the predraft talk last year was we were looking at inside mids and no surprise we ended up with a couple.

2006 draft set up up beautifully...

it gave us Jack
it gave us Shedda
it gave us Grigga...via our Pick 73 Andy Collins
it gave us the ulmightly Dusty when we eventually got rid of toxic pick 58

oh and it gave us. Megan......mmmmmm
�����
13Jack RiewoldtRichmondTasmania U182006
17Shaun HampsonCarltonMt Gravatt2006
19Shaun GriggCarltonNorth Ballarat U182006
26Shane EdwardsRichmondNorth Adelaide2006
58Daniel ConnorsRichmondBendigo U182006
73Andrew D. CollinsRichmondBendigo U182006

In terms of sheer numbers, we have more mids and forwards than KPDs.
You have to prioritise.
Of the three sectors, KPD is the key priority.
When Rance retires, we have Grimes and Vlaustin as the two key defenders, that's all we've got.
View attachment 770855

Astbury? Broad? Garth? Balta?

And we have a highly regarded KPD coming through our academy next year.

The first shortage will emerge in defence and that's where this year the priority should lie.

Short and Baker are premiership defenders and they will likely be forced out of the best 22; due to Graham, Stack(defender?) & Rance (defender)

Balta played forward a lot in the VFL premiership but is often talked about as a defensive option

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i wonder if Richmond need a tall or small more. Obviously either would be nice, if the club thinks its a future potential A grader.

bigs:

Soldo 23, 204,
CCJ, 20, 200,
Chol, 22, 199
Nank, 25, 199
Astbury, 28, 195
Miller, 20, 195
Balta, 20, 194,
Rance, 30, 194
RCD, 19, 193 (growing?) (might be more suited to midfield)
Riewoldt, 31, 193
Grimes, 28, 193,
Garthwaite, 21, 192,
Broad, 26, 192,
Lynch is also kinda big, but even adding him we seem to more urgently need a development KPF more than anything else, assuming Balta is being developed as a defender. Haven't seen much about CCJ, but I can't see Chol becoming a 50+ goal key forward. :$

Haven't seen much about CCJ, but I can't see Chol becoming a 50+ goal key forward. :$

in the VFL GF CCJ and Balta were playing full forward a lot

Chol i cant see being a 50 goal but player but i think Balta or CCJ have the talent if they are given the chances. CCJ however might be regarded as ruck - his around the ground marking ability is a weapon too

Lynch is also kinda big, but even adding him we seem to more urgently need a development

did i leave Lynch off the list? dam...

Last edited:
Totally agree with you! 👍;)👍

Sounds like some sorta Norf meat grinder nonsense. Sooo slow.
I do agree to a point.
Don't get me wrong, I like the idea of taking Cooper Stephens if he's there at our pick as best available, but I don't understand why so many are calling out for us to take a bunch more inside midfielders.
With Ross, RCD & Graham, plus Prestia & Pickett we are fine for inside midfielders, nothing wrong with one more, but we don't need to load up like some are calling for.

Sounds like some sorta Norf meat grinder nonsense. Sooo slow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don’t know about Stephens but RCD and Ross are quick, they’ve got sub 3 second 20m sprint times. And RCD uses it too if you saw the VFL granny.

edit: Just looked up some of Stephens results, won the yo-yo and was top 10 for vertical leap so great athleticism, especially considering he broke his leg early in the year.

Last edited:
I do agree to a point.
Don't get me wrong, I like the idea of taking Cooper Stephens if he's there at our pick as best available, but I don't understand why so many are calling out for us to take a bunch more inside midfielders.
With Ross, RCD & Graham, plus Prestia & Pickett we are fine for inside midfielders, nothing wrong with one more, but we don't need to load up like some are calling for.
Agree. A lot of talk about centre square mids but we seem pretty set with those. Prestia, Ross, RCD, Cotchin, Martin, Edwards, Pickett, Stack etc. We have no classy half backs and wings except Stack, (a few working their way along like DES, Naish Turner but are still maybe's). Seems to me an running rebounding HB winger would fill a need. (And not a skinny project one.)

Agree. A lot of talk about centre square mids but we seem pretty set with those. Prestia, Ross, RCD, Cotchin, Martin, Edwards, Pickett, Stack etc. We have no classy half backs and wings except Stack, (a few working their way along like DES, Naish Turner but are still maybe's). Seems to me an running rebounding HB winger would fill a need. (And not a skinny project one.)

Cotchin, Edwards, Pickett and Stack can all play across HBF. And RCD and Martin can both play forward (So can Cotchin, Edwards and Stack).

Honestly we just take best available with our first pick, if thats Stephens so be it.

I think you’ll find we take best available and have been doing this for a number of years .... as there’s no alarming weaknesses in the list.

One of the advantages having a strong list is there is no need to over think choices and no need to rush draftees.

JH, CCJ, NB, RCD, and JR are recent examples where if they show something, play them and if not ...... further develop.

I’m addition to allowing young draftees to develop, you can also play with one or two spots to speculate ...... SS & MP.

Cotchin, Edwards, Pickett and Stack can all play across HBF. And RCD and Martin can both play forward (So can Cotchin, Edwards and Stack).

Honestly we just take best available with our first pick, if thats Stephens so be it.
Best available is quite subjective. At pick 19 there are a lot of players around the same mark. I understand the best available early on, but think best available to suit a need or future need is better value than just best available. But if a bargain falls your way then by all means take it. Is Stevens that much of a bargain?

Remove this Banner Ad

2019 Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Back