Analysis 2019 List Management Discussion II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Shiel had selected us, we would have lost pick 1, Walsh, as well as a 1st this year. Perhaps we may have got a late 1st back

Multiple best 22 players, Walsh, Stocker, Papley, etc, over 1 mid age mid

Bloody fantastic point. 1st round picks should be valued highly. Hence my negativity on just throwing them away on non-A graders.

Winning the contested footy is the key to your midfield. 1st use of the footy and using it wisely by foot or hand makes you being chased. Key to looking fast is moving the ball quickly.
Richmond were last in the comp for clearances and second last for contested possession numbers.

Kidding yourself if you think GWS would have taken a single future pick, with our young talent, McGovern, Setters and then Shiel

Kidding yourself if you think #1 (Walsh) was on the table.

Not only would GWS have given us Shiel for #1 straight up (and made sure he chose Carlton over the Scum), they would have thrown in extras.

Kidding yourself if you think #1 (Walsh) was on the table.

Not only would GWS have given us Shiel for #1 straight up (and made sure he chose Carlton over the Scum), they would have thrown in extras.

If Shiel had nominated us, we would of had to find a way to get the deal done, or risk losing all credibility, a SINGLE future 1st would never of got it done. The deal would have looked like our 2 x 1sts, with pick 14+ a late 2nd coming back

So, it was Shiel or Walsh++

Thankfully the scum stepped in

If Shiel had nominated us, we would of had to find a way to get the deal done, or risk losing all credibility, a SINGLE future 1st would never of got it done. The deal would have looked like our 2 x 1sts, with pick 14+ a late 2nd coming back

You're just plain wrong on this. Walsh was never on the table for Shiel.

Go back and look at Barrass etc.'s posts from the time. We were not trading Walsh.

It ended up being #11 (Caldwell) and #12 for Shiel and #37, which everyone agrees was big overs by the Scum. The rumour is that Dodo was overruled and forced to overpay.

These picks actually equate to #4. So while at the time estimates of the 3 clubs finishing positions might have been a bit different, our future 1st would not have been seen as way off, and actually ended up being the same in points value.

Winning the contested footy is the key to your midfield. 1st use of the footy and using it wisely by foot or hand makes you being chased. Key to looking fast is moving the ball quickly.

Your bolding of text hasn't really changed the point about contested possession importance. I suspect several teams look at the pressure they apply to the opposition as being more important than actually winning it at stoppages.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Shiel had to go somewhere and had have Dodoro (+ others) not fronted up with two firsts before the deadline, Shiel could have well been playing at the CFC.
I would have thought this to be an open fact by now.

All this talk of a late big fish and the riddles that come along with them.
We do it to ourselves every year and even though we may be talking to Gaff, Grundy, Wines etc doesn't mean that magic will materialise.......just as it didn't in past years with Lynch, Fyfe, Gaff (again) Kelly etc. It could as much as anything may happen.....It just won't.

Shall be hard enough nailing Papley & Martin whilst keeping next years first and then...and only then...something 'extra' may happen.

Go back and look at Barrass etc.'s posts from the time. We were not trading Walsh.

It ended up being #11 (Caldwell) and #12 for Shiel and #37, which everyone agrees was big overs by the Scum. The rumour is that Dodo was overruled and forced to overpay.

These picks actually equate to #4. So while at the time estimates of the 3 clubs finishing positions might have been a bit different, our future 1st would not have been seen as way off, and actually ended up being the same in points value.

Walsh was never on the line for Shiel and a little extra thrown in.
We obviously wanted Walsh a long way out and unless GC had ponied up with some combination of picks 2,3 and 6, Walsh wasn't getting away from us.

If though GC would have offered up 3 & 6 for the #1, I dare say Rankine and Caldwell would have been on the books. Just a guess.

You are missing the point completely, moving on

Your bolding of text hasn't really changed the point about contested possession importance. I suspect several teams look at the pressure they apply to the opposition as being more important than actually winning it at stoppages.

So teams are now working on letting oppositions win the ball so they can pressure them to win it over from them......yeah right. Talk soon...

So teams are now working on letting oppositions win the ball so they can pressure them to win it over from them......yeah right. Talk soon...

As I said before Richmond are the worst contested/clearance team in the comp. They thrive on setting up to create pressure and unclean ball movement and then catch teams with pace from the turnover. The stats tell us that, but you don't want to acknowledge it apparently.

Sorry but I think you are the one not acknowledging contested possessions is still being thought of as no. 1 priority.

I don't think Walsh was on the table originally but I may he wrong, but when SOS was hanging around on the last day(?)After Sheil had already nominated * GWS were willing to accept our first this year (probably with some other sweeteners) if the Dons couldn't strike a deal. That being said it could have just been GWS using SOS to pressure the Dons to cough up the needed picks.

Sorry but I think you are the one not acknowledging contested possessions is still being thought of as no. 1 priority.

I'm asking the question on a discussion forum as to why it is considered so important? The correlation between wins and losses isn't there much of the time. It still keeps getting spat out as the cliche that is make or break though.

That's what the stats say and that's exactly how Richmond play. They make sure the opposition don't run with it from a clearance, protect the corridor, focus on the opposition's next disposal, turnover, and then go.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

That's what the stats say and that's exactly how Richmond play. They make sure the opposition don't run with it from a clearance, protect the corridor, focus on the opposition's next disposal, turnover, and then go.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

You see it with Richmond. They surround the contest so if they lose it they’re protected if they win it they’re off and running. A lot of times you’ll see an opposition player win the ball at stoppage then has nowhere to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back