Mega Thread 2019 List Management, Free Agency & Trade thread #2

Remove this Banner Ad

I’ve learnt post draft there is an obscure rule I didn’t know. You need to achieve the full points equivalent to be awarded the pick. So even though we would still have more points than pick 2, pick 1 would still become pick 2. Because we have less than 3000 points. I hope that makes sense. But it adjusts everything a little.

Can you recover those points in deficit next year??

Looks like you might be right. The deficit is 265 rather than 256, which it would have been if we used what was originally 73 to match as well.

As far I can tell we carried 6 live picks in, with the Giro upgrade occurring pre draft (meaning Hughes must have been upgraded after on pre season draft day). This would mean we had 4 live picks to match, which would be why we didn't use 73.
This is what I was saying. Picks after our 58 don’t count towards the bid. So the picks 49, 52, 55 & 58 remain the same picks used in the bid regardless of whether our next pick moves forward.

The advantages of bidding would be 59pts better off, and that 7th pick temporarily disappears and then reappears as our next pick which would have been 2 additional places earlier than the pick we ended up with (ie pick 64 which we ended up passing on). I guess we could have saved our 2020 5th round draft swap.

I thought Brandon Walker was taller than 179cm? i was under the impression that he had spent time in the ruck for the East Fremantle colts team pinch hitting?
We have a massive midget brigade. The only club to have 10+ sub-180cm players. If/when our talls go down, there's not much in the cupboard to replace them. I reckon we pick Sandi in the PSSD, and JLo in the mid-season draft. Great back-ups. ;)

Can you recover those points in deficit next year??
I believe we carry them as surplus for any other academy guys.

So if we lose 265 points and it drops us down a pick that costs us an extra 250 points, then we are 250 points up already when Western is bid on.

Similar to a first round pick matching an academy bid

I’ve learnt post draft there is an obscure rule I didn’t know. You need to achieve the full points equivalent to be awarded the pick. So even though we would still have more points than pick 2, pick 1 would still become pick 2. Because we have less than 3000 points. I hope that makes sense. But it adjusts everything a little.

Interesting, where did you hear that? I guess it kind of make sense, because there's supposed to be a downside to a deficit.
As for the table I'm pretty sure every recalculated pick just needs to be moved back 1.

I believe we carry them as surplus for any other academy guys.

So if we lose 265 points and it drops us down a pick that costs us an extra 250 points, then we are 250 points up already when Western is bid on.

Similar to a first round pick matching an academy bid
That’s an interesting question.

My guess will be the opposite. If you use pick 2, or what ever pick it is, as a live selection, then that’s it, pick used, points gone.

Both Tucker and Cerra are contracted and St Kilda don't have three top 15 picks.
If you read their board it’s just them saying they are heavily chasing a Freo player. There will be lots of clubs chasing Cerra this year. He’s a prime target with how it works these days and having only a year contact left. Me Maniac brought up Tucker, not them

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Also I feel like given where our list is at, we either need to trade in or draft a mature-aged ruckman.

Darcy is injury prone, Lobb going there disorganizes us structurally and will increase his chance of injury like last season then there is Meek who isn't proven yet.

I don't think there's any realistic WA trade options unless we want to trade high. Do we try and pry someone who has been in the AFL system for a few years over to WA or do we take a punt on a mature-ager? Tough times ahead.

I wonder if we'll do something at the mid-season draft.

Saints board are very active. They want to rape and pillage us.

They are keen on Adam cerra and Darcy Tucker.
After their heavy period, they still aren’t a top 6 team.

Made no sense to get Hill and Ryder as they are not in a premiership window.

Teams go too early and all they do is peak and then fall off the cliff ie Dockers, Blues.

Cerra and Tucker are better targets than Hill was .

Saints would have to pay massive overs in terms of salary cap for Cerra or Tucker.

Teams go too early and all they do is peak and then fall off the cliff ie Dockers, Blues.

Saints would have to pay massive overs in terms of salary cap for Cerra or Tucker.
To be fair Brad Hill still has time on his side

Ryder didn't make sense as he is 31 unless he is a stop gap until one of their younger rucks develop into a solid ruck.

Hill made sense. The bloke is 26-27 years old and has 4-6 good years of footy.

Dougal Howard is only 23 and apparently is a Carlisle replacement.

Saying that I am scared saints are chasing our younger Vic players. They can have Zac Dawson back if they want

Also I feel like given where our list is at, we either need to trade in or draft a mature-aged ruckman.

Darcy is injury prone, Lobb going there disorganizes us structurally and will increase his chance of injury like last season then there is Meek who isn't proven yet.

I don't think there's any realistic WA trade options unless we want to trade high. Do we try and pry someone who has been in the AFL system for a few years over to WA or do we take a punt on a mature-ager? Tough times ahead.

I wonder if we'll do something at the mid-season draft.
Clinton Wolf

Where is Cerra at? He’s been underwhelming so far for a highly rated junior and both his Marsh games this year have been ok at best. He’s obviously still developing but he’s played 40 games so should be getting close to comfortable at the level. What’s his ceiling?

Where is Cerra at? He’s been underwhelming so far for a highly rated junior and both his Marsh games this year have been ok at best. He’s obviously still developing but he’s played 40 games so should be getting close to comfortable at the level. What’s his ceiling?
Let him get used to playing in the guts (should of done this 2 years ago)

might be another Stephen hill. Another solid 200 gamer we used a top 5 pick on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Mega Thread 2019 List Management, Free Agency & Trade thread #2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back