Mega Thread 2019 List Management, Free Agency & Trade thread #2

Remove this Banner Ad

Western looks sturdy enough and not that small, unless the two presenters are also short people? He looks a well enough built unit though...

Surely this is a year to focus on drafting WA talent? Any two of DGB, trew, McDonald or O’Driscoll, Plus western and walker in the NGA would be a nice top up to our list!

Surely this is a year to focus on drafting WA talent? Any two of DGB, trew, McDonald or O’Driscoll, Plus western and walker in the NGA would be a nice top up to our list!

Unless there is a serious problem with one of them or we trade a top 10 player you are not going to get two.

Unless there is a serious problem with one of them or we trade a top 10 player you are not going to get two.

I think DGB is probably a top 10 pick... McDonald, and Trew possibly top 25, and O’Driscoll top 35.

So not out of the question we get 2.. this year seems to have a number of good KPP, and high NGA, Academy, and Fathers Sins. So not a normal Draft year and throw in CV-19.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As things stand Fremantle sit with pick 6 and pick 21 (based on last years draft order), unless there’s footy played this year that may not change much, though I think pick 6 may become pick 8 due to the discount from last year.
To me DGB looks the best WA player and likely to be probably off the board by pick 8 but not impossible. Plenty of Big footy phantom drafters have him around that range.
Then at pick 21, O’Driscoll will probably be gone but would be surprised if McDonald and Trew were also gone by them. Take one of them and Add western and walker with later picks and it would be a good evenings work.
If footy is played we aren’t likely to finish any higher than bottom 4 or 6 anyway so we should still get a decent first pick. Melbournes pick (our 2nd rounder) will probably move out beyond 21 as they look better than last year.
We aren’t winning a flag this year and I’d rather rebuild for another year and load up with more draft talent, then start a proper Upward assault on the ladder in 2021. Adding Kobe farmer next year would be a nice bonus too.
No need to trade anyone out!

I'd like the AFL to allow the academy players to be added to the rookie list this season if they aren't bid on inside the first round.

It would make the draft much easier for clubs to navigate and make it cheaper for the clubs/AFL too.

Plus, it would mean we get best value as I'd be ringing all the clubs list manager and recruiting teams and asking where they saw their own players being selected and agreeing that we also think their players are rated at pick 20+, wink wink, nudge nudge.

Only the Bulldogs would get the pointy end of the stick.

I'd like the AFL to allow the academy players to be added to the rookie list this season if they aren't bid on inside the first round.

It would make the draft much easier for clubs to navigate and make it cheaper for the clubs/AFL too.

Plus, it would mean we get best value as I'd be ringing all the clubs list manager and recruiting teams and asking where they saw their own players being selected and agreeing that we also think their players are rated at pick 20+, wink wink, nudge nudge.

Only the Bulldogs would get the pointy end of the stick.
Would be a big Concession for the likes of us and bad news for teams with no academy prospects. There may well only be 40 picks this year. Freo need to take advantage of the fact that the eagles have traded out of the first round again this year and try load up on WA talent, I really like the look of DGB he has that hardesss about him that is essential at AFL level, would rather get him now than try trade for him in a few years time And compete with the eagles.

Would be a big Concession for the likes of us and bad news for teams with no academy prospects. There may well only be 40 picks this year. Freo need to take advantage of the fact that the eagles have traded out of the first round again this year and try load up on WA talent, I really like the look of DGB he has that hardesss about him that is essential at AFL level, would rather get him now than try trade for him in a few years time And compete with the eagles.

I like DGB, McDonald and Trew at our first 2 picks.

Western and Walker are much later in the Draft I suspect.

But if Tilthorpe was available at our first pick, he would be hard to go past as well..

Lot of water to go under the bridge before draft night.

Last edited:
I like DGB, McDonald and Trew at our first 2 picks.

Western and Walker are much later in the Draft I suspect.

But if Tilthorpe was available at our first pick, he would be hard to go past as well..

Lot of water to go under the bridge before draft night.
What kind of player is tilthorpe?
If DGB could be turned into a key forward he would be an excellent choice. Which of trew or O’Driscoll Would be more likely outside midfielders?
Brandon Walker Is rated highly by some people but doesn’t look like he will play much football to push him up the draft rankings this year?

What kind of player is tilthorpe?
If DGB could be turned into a key forward he would be an excellent choice. Which of trew or O’Driscoll Would be more likely outside midfielders?
Brandon Walker Is rated highly by some people but doesn’t look like he will play much football to push him up the draft rankings this year?

Tilthorpe from SA is a 200cm Key forward 96kg but seems amazingly agile for his size. Played last year as a 17yo as key fwd, and looks the goods, he is man mountain..

ODriscolls biggest issue is his disposal and is more inside, knows how to find the pill.

Trew is mix of inside and out and very good kick. Pill magnet!

Brandon doesn’t get a lot of the pill which will push him down the rankings.

Last edited:
One of the difficulties that we will face in the wake of this pandemic is retaining these early draft picks. 4 top 10 picks in the last 3 of years from interstate. By the end of 2021 all will be out of contract. If our financial position is not improved we might lose one or more of these guys to Victorian clubs. We will need to be very clever in how we manage our finances to ensure we are not hit too badly.

That's a valid point, and with self isolation we're also going to lose 6 months of bonding time.

Tilthorpe from SA is a 200cm Key forward 96kg but seems amazingly agile for his size. Played last year as a 17yo as key fwd, and looks the goods, he is man mountain..

ODriscolls biggest issue is his disposal and is more inside, knows how to find the pill.

I would ecstatic to get Trew, strong mark, gets a lot of the ball and uses it well - great size and still growing.
GDB and him are apparently great mates - if we could get them as a Whopper combo - fckn mint!!!!

Can anyone clarify where our points deficit will leave us next year? Say we end up with pick 6, does that become 8 or 9 for example? Someone had it all done out nicely before in here for each place on the draft order?

I have to admit that Thilthorpe highlights video always worries me a tiny bit because of the number of times he tries to play on from marks inside 50 and then almost gets run down and/or butchers the kick.....just settle down, go back and take a shot! If he played like that for us we would have to give him Clive's old number.

I have to admit that Thilthorpe highlights video always worries me a tiny bit because of the number of times he tries to play on from marks inside 50 and then almost gets run down and/or butchers the kick.....just settle down, go back and take a shot! If he played like that for us we would have to give him Clive's old number.

It’s also a bit of man playing amongst boys... will his main attributes translate to AFL?

Would be nice to see more of him, before draft day!

But people who are 200cm don’t get shorter!

Remove this Banner Ad

Mega Thread 2019 List Management, Free Agency & Trade thread #2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back