Mega Thread 2019 List Management, Free Agency & Trade thread #2

Remove this Banner Ad

Thilthorpe is exactly what we need, but I think won't be available. If he is, do it. Develop him to rotate with Lobb. I would pay up big to get him, as in our first round plus a good young player for pick 1 or 2.

DGB may be able to transition to a forward, but if we are taking him then I would consider Logue's role and keep him as a defender. Logue's physical profile seems adaptable, and otherwise we are overloaded with tall defenders. As it is we cannot fit Cox in when Pearce and Hamling return (I also don't like both Cox and Taberner in the forward line).

Would keep Cox and boot Taberner TBH. More scope for improvement, better footy brain and younger, and these are the sort of decisions that will need to be made if we're going to 35 list spots

I think it's a push either way to be honest. 1 doesn't have the brains to make it and the other doesn't have the ticker.

Time to reinvest in tall forwards.

I can’t see how Tabs could ever be a premiership player. Maybe I’m wrong but he hasn’t shown it at all so far. Ross the boss did an interesting interview with Damo barrett the other day where he described how Certain players get cut from lists that could play 100 games more in the AFL, but not for a serious team. Tabs could well play another 80 AFL games in his career but it wouldn’t be for Richmond or Collingwood or the eagles or a team like that. Jesse hogan on the other hand could. We need to limit list cloggers from now on if we are to start moving up the ladder in the coming years. Load up on the draft is possible for another year this year then we should have enough elite talent for a sustained period of 5/6 years competing from about 2022 onwards...

Thilthorpe is exactly what we need, but I think won't be available. If he is, do it. Develop him to rotate with Lobb. I would pay up big to get him, as in our first round plus a good young player for pick 1 or 2.

DGB may be able to transition to a forward, but if we are taking him then I would consider Logue's role and keep him as a defender. Logue's physical profile seems adaptable, and otherwise we are overloaded with tall defenders. As it is we cannot fit Cox in when Pearce and Hamling return (I also don't like both Cox and Taberner in the forward line).
After watching all the footy yarn youtube videos interviewing the WA draft crop this year Mcdonald would be my choice of people who have been on so far including DGB and Trew they play some games kicking at goal doing some running kicking to each other etc and you get to see some of their skills as well as personality.

DGB is really good mark and reader of the ball but when they play goal kicking games his kick is pretty average Mcdonald however seems to be a good kid personality wise and his disposal is extremely good in all the games they play don't think he missed 1 kick at goal.

After watching all the footy yarn youtube videos interviewing the WA draft crop this year Mcdonald would be my choice of people who have been on so far including DGB and Trew they play some games kicking at goal doing some running kicking to each other etc and you get to see some of their skills as well as personality.

DGB is really good mark and reader of the ball but when they play goal kicking games his kick is pretty average Mcdonald however seems to be a good kid personality wise and his disposal is extremely good in all the games they play don't think he missed 1 kick at goal.

McDonald is a very very good footy player and straightening WA U18 team up when he came in last season.

He may not have been the reason they won. but he enabled them to keep the winning fwd structure.. he was very very good as a under age player for WA U18.

The fact he has grown a bit more is exciting. He is a late first round pick for my mind! Not top 10 but seriously good!

It's looking probable that there won't be a draft this year? If list sizes get cut by 7 to save funds, plus every club has to take 2 or 3 players in the draft that means every club is cutting a minimum of 9-10 players.

It's looking more likely that there won't be a draft in 2020 and the draft age will be increased by a year.

It's looking probable that there won't be a draft this year? If list sizes get cut by 7 to save funds, plus every club has to take 2 or 3 players in the draft that means every club is cutting a minimum of 9-10 players.

It's looking more likely that there won't be a draft in 2020 and the draft age will be increased by a year.

Can’t see how they will reduce a senior list to 35. Some clubs wouldn’t be able to field a team then at times due to injuries! And didn’t they give Gold Coast a concession to have a list of 50 last year with 12 rookies? (A crazy idea anyway). I’d say a reduction to 38 listed players and maybe 2 rookies could be a compromise that is more likely?
Regardless we have several list cloggers that will probably get delisted next season.

I think the further this goes and the later the AFL goes that will put pressure on current lists, cramming in a season up until December, then starting in March. Don't think they will decrease list sizes as they will need them more than ever. Think they may just decrease top end money.

On SM-A705YN using BigFooty.com mobile app

McDonald is a very very good footy player and straightening WA U18 team up when he came in last season.

He may not have been the reason they won. but he enabled them to keep the winning fwd structure.. he was very very good as a under age player for WA U18.

The fact he has grown a bit more is exciting. He is a late first round pick for my mind! Not top 10 but seriously good!
Draft bolters, sliders, Freo always has a way to surprise especially first round.
I'd rather go genuine forward than ruck/forward, with Tippett being a good example of where the bar is set.
Lobb on track, how many 199cm plus players can be in the same team?
Our best two key positions in Pav, Elvis, highlight the appeal of guys in the 192-196cm range.
Athletic and natural footy smarts I'd take every time over just one of the two.
Luke could of played forward, similar to Gunston and Pav was the ultimate utility.
They could also play the ground ball, all bases covered.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can’t see how they will reduce a senior list to 35. Some clubs wouldn’t be able to field a team then at times due to injuries! And didn’t they give Gold Coast a concession to have a list of 50 last year with 12 rookies? (A crazy idea anyway). I’d say a reduction to 38 listed players and maybe 2 rookies could be a compromise that is more likely?
Regardless we have several list cloggers that will probably get delisted next season.
Fraught with danger I’d think.

The footy yarn videos give a nice little insight into each prospect and what kind of player and personality they are.

Brandon walker comes across as a pretty quiet, shy guy. Very athletic though. Not in many top 30 or 40 so we should get him easily enough if we want him. Models his game on Jason Johanisson (would love to see that at freo!)

Joel western - might be small height wise but he looks like a hard nut. Seems to have transformed himself in the gym - those are broad shoulders for an 18 y/o. Good attitude. Skills looked good too.

Nathan O’Driscoll - seems a bit of a character, quite athletic but wasn’t a huge fan of his kicking style. Similar type player to Deven Robertson maybe? Looks like a tough country kid!

Logan McDonald - very very nice kicker of the football. Looks extremely accurate. Love to see the likes of him in a freo jumper for the next 15 years. Likely to be available in the 20s too based on early draft rankings.

denver Grainger Barass - looks like an AFL player already. rangy, athletic, good kick, great mark. would definitely take him if available at our first.

zane trew - classy looking skills on display in the video. A bit quieter than DGB in terms of personality it seems. Pretty tall too for a midfielder.

it’s not impossible that 4 of these guys could be drafted by freo. The Two NGAs with later/rookie picks plus two others with our first and second rounders. Getting DGB and McDonald with our first and second rounders would be a decent outcome. Given the amount of high draft picks from Interstate we have taken in recent seasons, focusing our $$ on retaining these while not having to worry about a “go home” factor with our 2020 draftees would be an advantage.
Also worth considering that we seem to be getting a lot of smaller or medium sized players through the NGA. And so selecting taller key position options with our live picks complements that better. Another reason for DGB and McDonald this year!

Is Nathan O'Driscoll Emma's brother?

Would warm the heart to unite the family.
Yeah they’re siblings, would be the perfect time to introduce a sibling rule to match father-son

Yeah they’re siblings, would be the perfect time to introduce a sibling rule to match father-son
it worked with the Houghtons :cool:
not sure how the mob up the road fell about our female "Juddy" ;)

One of the big problems we have had in the last few years is losing elite talent in their mid 20s. If Neale and Brad hill were still on our list we’d have a pretty formidable lineup. I know we got draft picks and hogan in return for losing these guys, but if you look at west coast Chris Judd was probably the last big name to request a trade from there, and at that point they had 6 outstanding years out of him. We simply can’t lose the likes of Brayshaw, Pearce, cerra, serong, young, Sturt, Luke ryan, Tucker or Sean Darcy in the next 6 or 7 years. Add those guys to our 2020 draftees, and our elite WA talent like Henry, Fyfe, Walters, Logue Hamling etc, and we will be very competitive very soon.

There’s an article on afl.com.au today ranking every clubs best first round draft pick since 2000. I have to say it’s pretty grim reading for Fremantle fans. They went with Stephen hill (2008 no 3 pick) but my goodness, it wasn’t easy to pick someone. Only 2 players have played more than 100 games as first round picks for freo (Byron Schammer is the other). That is an utterly horrendous statistic and a damning indictment of the clubs recruiting decisions. It gets even more depressing when you scroll to the bottom of the article and read about the gold that the eagles have struck in the first round over the same timeframe. Since 2016 we seem to have gone harder at the draft that ever before and it will hopefully pay dividends in the next few years. But in this lockdown I’ve got bored and looked back and read more about some of the terrible drafting decisions made from 2000-2007 in particular. Some of the decisions defied belief to be honest. Trading away multiple first round picks for journeymen players.
if we hadn’t been so successful in the later rounds of the draft from 2008 onwards we would be a total basket case of a club. In saying that, from 2010 to 2013, I think only Alex Pearse remains on the list of drafted players from that timeframe. Neale was obviously a successful pick then too, albeit in the 4th round. Those picks should have been hitting their peak years around now.
The vast majority were busts.
Let’s hope those days are long behind us.

Remove this Banner Ad

Mega Thread 2019 List Management, Free Agency & Trade thread #2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back