Mega Thread 2019 List Management, Free Agency & Trade thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So yesterday. . .

Today . . .

Looks like Colin Young has found a club for B.Hill and now Melbourne is now talking up A.Brayshaw to try and make it seems like it’s an easy straight swap.

hmmm. I was hoping to keep this profile for a while. I'll have to get creative. Does Brayshaw's go with anything?

Brad Hill will inform Fremantle of his decision to officially ask for a trade as soon as Friday but the Dockers can still cash in on his three seasons at the Dockers.
Hill has every intention of playing in Melbourne next year, with his partner to move back home over summer and the star wingman expected to join her.

That decision could come when his management meets with Fremantle chief executive Steve Rosich this week when he returns from the AFL’s chief executives conference on Friday.
But given the huge market for Hill in Melbourne the Dockers will still profit from the deal given what they gave up three years ago.

Clubs including Carlton, St Kilda and Hawthorn who are desperate to find out Stephen Coniglio’s decision could transfer interest to Hill if they miss out on the GWS star.
Fremantle was able to secure a second-round compensation pick (No.23) when Chris Mayne left the club on a four-year deal at Collingwood.

They traded that pick for Hill when the Hawks were desperate to secure additional selections to secure Gold Coast star Jaeger O’Meara.
Now after the second-best season of his career Hill would be clearly worth a first-round selection in a trade given he only turned 26 last month.
Carlton has a determination to trade its first-round pick (Adelaide’s No. 11 selection), with a pick around that mark likely to be required to satisfy Fremantle.
Clubs like St Kilda (pick five) and North Melbourne (pick six) would also face difficult decisions about whether to offer up early selections for Hill if he declared an interest in joining them.

Those clubs would likely secure later selections back from the Dockers in a trade but he would be an instant game-changer for clubs looking to shoot up the ladder.
Hill is the No. 1 metres gained wingman in the AFL (480 metres gained per game), is No. 1 for score assists (1.4 per game) and the No. 2 score assists wingman (6.1 per game).
His brother Stephen is a free agent, with the pair having expressed some interest in playing together at a new club next year.
Hill’s issues are based around family rather than the Dockers, having said the club’s win over Geelong last weekend was one of the best at his time in the club.
Fremantle has publicly said they will not trade him given two season left on his contract but privately are aware they will have to broker a deal.
The triple premiership player had his best season in 2014, when he amassed 23 possessions and a goal in a year where he won 449 possessions.

We ****ed.

"Have" to broker a deal?? Err we don't Have to do any such thing.

The language in the fox footy article really annoyed me aswell. No he'll inform the club he'd like to go back to a victorian club.
As someone who works on the other side of the country away from family for far less $$ this really infuriates me. Hope he's held to the deal or at least we get a great return.

“Brad Hill will inform the Fremantle Football Club through his management as early as Friday that he will be coming back to a Victorian football club,”

The language in the fox footy article really annoyed me aswell. No he'll inform the club he'd like to go back to a victorian club.
As someone who works on the other side of the country away from family for far less $$ this really infuriates me. Hope he's held to the deal or at least we get a great return.

“Brad Hill will inform the Fremantle Football Club through his management as early as Friday that he will be coming back to a Victorian football club,”

I'm convinced that the media who write these and repeat their reports on tv get a kick out of forcing a response from the club, even to deny it.

Can someone please explain to me why the media are so adamant that we won't hold him to his contract if he does actually want out? If the reports are true and he asked for a trade last year, then that means that he was held to his contract...

The media are throwing darts with a blindfold on and have no idea.

Last edited:
"Have" to broker a deal?? Err we don't Have to do any such thing.
I hate to say this, and I like to keep good relationships with opposition boards, but it will be a similar scenario to Lachie Neale.

It’s difficult to keep a player that wants to move, especially if his partner is going with or without him.

You can force the issue, and keep him, but I bet his performances will drop dramatically.

Can someone please explain to me why the media are so adament that we won't hold him to his contract if he does actually want out? If the reports are true and he asked for a trade last year, then that means that he was held to his contract...

The media are throwing darts with a blindfold on and have no idea.
Making up rumours keeps people in jobs.

Our club seems to be easy targets. Not a lot of backlash towards the media person.

I hate to say this, and I like to keep good relationships with opposition boards, but it will be a similar scenario to Lachie Neale.

It’s difficult to keep a player that wants to move, especially if his partner is going with or without him.

You can force the issue, and keep him, but I bet his performances will drop dramatically.

Like Tim Kelly?

There's no chance we let Langdon and B.Hill both go at the same time if the reports are true.

The club's interests come before the player's interests. If there was such a big issue for Brad, he should have signed a shorter contract. At the worst I think we'll stagger their departures unless someone offers a king's ransom for Brad this year.

There's no chance we let Langdon and B.Hill both go at the same time. At the worst we'll stagger their departures unless someone offers a king's ransom for Brad this year.
Be prepared to be disappointed, they both will leave. Clubs rarely keep players that want to go and its not like we are obviously on the cusp of a premiership.

Somebody will pony up something worthwhile for Brad and he'll go. Ed we can't stop.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the Hill camp would be realistic enough to know that he's not moving unless we get a Lachie Neale-esque deal, but I reckon someone will throw something good up. It's whether we can turn that into a good replacement/s.

I think the Hill camp would be realistic enough to know that he's not moving unless we get a Lachie Neale-esque deal, but I reckon someone will throw something good up. It's whether we can turn that into a good replacement/s.
100% and the fact that it has gotten into the public sphere tells me that Billy's management thinks they have a club that can satisfy both Brad and Freo.

Carlton has a determination to trade its first-round pick (Adelaide’s No. 11 selection), with a pick around that mark likely to be required to satisfy Fremantle.
Clubs like St Kilda (pick 5) and North Melbourne (pick 6) would also face difficult decisions about whether to offer up early selections for Hill if he declared an interest in joining them.
This doesn’t come as a surprise to me. His girlfriend is homesick. He would have made his intention that he will need to go to Vic but he can be absolutely held to his remaining 2-year contract. I agree that the continual reference of BHill going back to Vic makes it sound like he is not from WA.

Those picks listed are in the ball park to be fair. Carlton’s Pick 11 (Might move to 10) will need to be sweetened with a late 2nd/early 3rd pick. I feel Picks 5 and 6 would be around the mark. I can’t see Melbourne giving up pick 2 unless the trade involves us returning our first and then Freo getting additional picks in return (ie 2,20,56 >8).

We could then trade with GWS to move up the draft order.

Surely if we are going to have to lose players like Hill we have to get back players and not draft picks or we just keep going backwards and starting over.....he is in the prime of his career and has done the hard yards, 26 years old, 138 games, no major injuries

Surely if we are going to have to lose players like Hill we have to get back players and not draft picks or we just keep going backwards and starting over.....he is in the prime of his career and has done the hard yards, 26 years old, 138 games, no major injuries
The only way we get players if a third club is involved.

Rarely, there are player player trades.

Oh we’re still playing along with the homesick girlfriend angle are we?

He wants a more money. It’s that simple. He wanted it last year and was told no, he changed managers and is going again. It’s pretty simple.

People will say but he’s contracted, Hill has leverage because his manager has fu.cking 18 Freo players.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The only way we get players if a third club is involved.

Rarely, there are player player trades.
Fyfe & Co are not going to hang around if we keep playing snakes and ladders to go backwards with 18 year old draft picks and give up 100+ game players, also don't think Lyon will feel he has the time to re-plumb again.

My uneducated thoughts.
We turned Neale (pick 54ish?) Into Hogan.
Lachie Weller (pick 16?) Into pick 2 (Brayshaw)
Chris Mayne compensation into BHill which could then turn into 2 × 1st round picks.
If we were player 'flippers' we would be investing super stars.
Having 3 x 1st round picks(replace Bennell, Kirsten and Ballas) plus what we get for Langdon is an absolute win as far as I can tell.
Players will always leave, its what you get back that is important.
Bhill leaves then it's time for Giro to step up. He's got the engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back