2019 Non-Crows AFL Chat #3 - the off-season

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
More interstate teams should look to move games to MCG for practice.
Say port and crows make agreement every year to have 1 game at MCG...
Or gws adel decide to do it.

Have to find a way to get more MCG exposure.

Not so bad for eagles / freo as they were smart and made the new stadium same dimensions.

More interstate teams should look to move games to MCG for practice.
Say port and crows make agreement every year to have 1 game at MCG...
Or gws adel decide to do it.

Have to find a way to get more MCG exposure.

Not so bad for eagles / freo as they were smart and made the new stadium same dimensions.
I'm pretty sure that this bf myth is actually not true

I was close to the cheer squad and helped move a few things at the end of the match and didn't see any of that.
I also went for a long walk afterwards around Melbourne and received no abuse at all.

Then went home on the bus with no one mentioning stories of abuse just seriously depressed Crows fans.

Sent from my MI PAD 4 using Tapatalk
Like you I got nothing bad even while wearing my Crows scarf back to the hotel. Did get a bit of sympathy from the Richmond girl sitting next to me which was quite nice at the time. Sure there are dicks around but if you don't act like one yourself, they usually don't bother you

That’s all very general, and dare I say hopeful.

Firstly no one even says that 97% of scientists agree there is a climate emergency

The story, insofar as it is alleged to be true, is that 97% believe climate change is at least partly anthropogenic

[/i] however the 97% that people like you just lap up is bogus.

Let’s look at where it came from, which woke numpties like you have never bothered to consider.

(1)

The “97 percent” statistic first appeared prominently in a 2009 study by University of Illinois master’s student Kendall Zimmerman and her adviser, Peter Doran. Based on a two-question online survey, Zimmerman and Doran concluded that “the debate on the authenticity of global warming and the role played by human activity is largely nonexistent among those who understand the nuances and scientific bases of long-term climate processes” — even though only 5 percent of respondents, or about 160 scientists, were climate scientists. In fact, the “97 percent” statistic was drawn from an even smaller subset: the 79 respondents who were both self-reported climate scientists andhad “published more than 50% of their recent peer-reviewed papers on the subject of climate change.” These 79 scientists agreed that global temperatures had generally risen since 1800, and that human activity is a “significant contributing factor.”

(2)

A year later, William R. Love Anderegg, a student at Stanford University, used Google Scholar to determine that “97–98% of the climate researchers most actively publishing in the field surveyed here support the tenets of ACC [anthropogenic climate change] outlined by the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change.” The sample size did not much improve on Zimmerman and Doran’s: Anderegg surveyed about 200 scientists.

And finally (3)

the most suspicious “97 percent” study was conducted in 2013 by Australian scientist John Cook — author of the 2011 book Climate Change Denial: Heads in the Sandand creator of the blog Skeptical Science (subtitle: “Getting skeptical about global warming skepticism.”). In an analysis of 12,000 abstracts, he found “a 97% consensus among papers taking a position on the cause of global warming in the peer-reviewed literature that humans are responsible.” “Among papers taking a position” is a significant qualifier: Only 34 percent of the papers Cook examined expressed any opinion about anthropogenic climate change at all. Since 33 percent appeared to endorse anthropogenic climate change, he divided 33 by 34 and — voilà — 97 percent!

When David Legates, a University of Delaware professor who formerly headed the university’s Center for Climatic Research, recreated Cook’s study, he found that “only 41 papers — 0.3 percent of all 11,944 abstracts or 1.0 percent of the 4,014 expressing an opinion, and not 97.1 percent,” endorsed what Cook claimed. Several scientists whose papers were included in Cook’s initial sample also protested that they had been misinterpreted. “Significant questions about anthropogenic influences on climate remain,” Legates concluded.

Now I’m not denying climate change, or anything like that.

I am sceptical of this climate emergency angle.

There are real questions about the quality of the models and their ability to predict effectively enough to drive policy to he extent they are being relied upon

climate emergency is pure politics.

Those studies that don’t fit the narrative seem to sink without a trace

And then there is the professor Phil Jones scandal...

It is an extremely weak arguement to claim it is all politics on one hand and then copy paste multiple paragraphs directly from the Nation Review - one of the most hard right political magazines out there. You don't think they have a political agenda? They dont even try to hide it.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Who said the 500 were climate deniers?

Maybe actually read the letters more carefully

Their letter doesn't deny climate change. As you agree, now one can argue that nowadays, it is quantifiable and proven. Everyday people can actually notice the weather has changed.

They argue against a climate emergency, something unquantifiable. What is an emergency, how many degrees, how much CO2, it is easily debatable. What is an everyday person to say about that.

A lot of the signatories have previously denied climate change. Only now they shift their argument to emergency, something they can still argue. They are shifting to keep their arguement relative and more palatable.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

It is unreasonable to assess perverse conduct without actual evidence

Perhaps- though if one were to require an overly onerous standard of proof before forming opinions then a consistent application would be appropriate.

There seems to be a particular willingness to slur the vast bulk of scientists who support the idea of a climate emergency as politically motivated actors based upon nought more than conjecture.

Brisbane have an awful record at the MCG so having similar ground dimensions has no effect.
Thinking about this, actual field boundaries and markings is only part of what makes a ground the home ground of a team. The surrounding stands and stadium super structure, the facilities & change rooms, the spectators ... probably have as much influence in giving advantage to the home team.

We could have a huge field with the same boundary markings with low stands and building and it would not be the same ... there would not be the visual cues that says "we're at the G!".

Ed. So really, the only fair way to have the G as the main finals/GF ground is to not let any club have it as their home ground. They wouldn't have trouble playing the contracted number of games there so that shouldnb;t be an issue.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Clearly 119 still stings down at Alberton.

I noticed on the Port board that they're now trying to convince themselves that GWS' loss yesterday somehow erases their 2007 disaster :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:
It’s still in the history books as the highest losing margin in GF history. Will live on forever. Yesterday’s margin and how bad GWS were puts into perspective just how pathetic Port were in 07. 30 points worse than that!!!

So Neil Balme on 5aa, “you’ve got to show the kids you believe in them so they believe in themselves”

Now compare that to how we’ve approached the development of our kids. We’ve shown we have no faith in them, we rushed Mackay back and even now we’ve resigned him.

We missed a perfect opportunity to show Scholl, Hamill and McPherson that we believed in them.

It’s still in the history books as the highest losing margin in GF history. Will live on forever. Yesterday’s margin and how bad GWS were puts into perspective just how pathetic Port were in 07. 30 points worse than that!!!

Exactly

I bet deep down they realised yesterday that despite how shit GWS were that they didn't even get close to 119 so there's a good chance that 119 may never be erased from the history books.

They are trying to claim that Geelong (2007) were vastly superior to Richmond (2019) and because of this Port Power (2007) would have lost to Richmond (2019) by less than 89 points and GWS (2019) would have lost to Geelong (2007) by more than 119.

119 seems to have driven them to insanity.

Last edited:
Is it true that Greene's dad got arrested for headbutting a female cop?

Glory be, apple does not fall far from the tree.

Yep - remanded until Wednesday.

Toby's estranged from his father, so I'm not particularly comfortable with the media trying to hound him over his father's behaviour.

Yep - remanded until Wednesday.

Toby's estranged from his father, so I'm not particularly comfortable with the media trying to hound him over his father's behaviour.

I saw the headline on SMH and thought wouldn’t it be funny if that’s Greens father and yep it was. You can’t make this shit up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They are trying to claim that Geelong (2007) were vastly superior to Richmond (2019) and because of this Port Power (2007) would have lost to Richmond (2019) by less than 89 points and GWS (2019) would have lost to Geelong (2007) by more than 119.

119 seems to have driven them to insanity.
Aww... alright, if you insist...

poot-119-slot-machine-banner-gif.617858

Regardless of Greene’s issues as a player
Coping with the loss of the GF and waking up to the news of his father would be really tough
Not a great week.

Though could be worse like Dusty's dad who has been deported.

So Neil Balme on 5aa, “you’ve got to show the kids you believe in them so they believe in themselves”

Now compare that to how we’ve approached the development of our kids. We’ve shown we have no faith in them, we rushed Mackay back and even now we’ve resigned him.

We missed a perfect opportunity to show Scholl, Hamill and McPherson that we believed in them.
This is why balme is the best in the business

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back