2019 Trade thread

Remove this Banner Ad

The player he pushes out becomes the depth, we shouldn’t trade for depth, we try to improve the top 22
You trade in talent, the rest takes care of itself. You work to improve your list, in any way possible. Generally no, you dont trade in someone who is going to only be depth. But not everyone has to be an improvement on an existing player. Sometimes simply having competition is good.

Suspect we could just do a direct swap with Keays potentially however if we're inclined to let Keays go - he's easily in their best 22 and fit.

I would be totally against moving Ben Keays on.

Sure, he has been behind a few this year, but our injury list has been unprecedented, so I would expect there to be plenty of opportunities for him next year. Added to that is his family's history with Fitzroy / Lions and the fact he really does bleed for the club. Perhaps that is being a tad sentimental, but I think there is still a place for it in footy.

I’d not oppose us giving a pick around the 20 mark for him. As fans, we get caught up in trade value but Noble has proven he just gets deals done, even if they look a little overvalued at the time of transaction. I like that approach. If we think he’s a good player, just make it happen.

I don't logistically think it's a good move, but if he wasn't too expensive the idea of Eddie Betts playing with us for a year or two would be so exciting. He's definitely over the hill though and I've got some questions over his forward pressure, but just for the entertainment value it's a fun idea.

Suns confirming the Ah Chee news now

Callum Ah Chee will explore his options during the 2019 AFL Trade Period.

General Manager Football Operations, Jon Haines confirmed Ah Chee’s position on Wednesday evening.

“During our end of season exit interview with Callum Ah Chee, Callum indicated that he would like to explore the opportunity to continue his career elsewhere in 2020,” Haines said.

“Callum and his manager will work through his options, as will the club’s list management team, in a bid to get the best possible outcome.”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ah Chee given his injuries would only be worth our late 2nd rounder, which is at best #35, but probably pushes out to high 30s once the Suns get their priority pick + a few compo picks for whoever this years FAs are.

Suspect we could just do a direct swap with Keays potentially however if we're inclined to let Keays go - he's easily in their best 22 and fit.
Keays for Ah Chee is far from a fair swap, and Keays would not be in their best 22.

He’d possibly be in their 23 to 30 range on list depth.

It reads like a few people over rate Ben Keays and our current depth in the midfield and small/medium forwards.

Sure, he has been behind a few this year, but our injury list has been unprecedented, so I would expect there to be plenty of opportunities for him next year. Added to that is his family's history with Fitzroy / Lions and the fact he really does bleed for the club. Perhaps that is being a tad sentimental, but I think there is still a place for it in footy.
agree, whilst it has been hard for him to stay in the side as it has been settled by design and clean sheet of health he has done enough to get another contract. Remember before the season they were playing him in the role as full time forward, but when he came in it was at half forward role and his tackling pressure to lock it in, as well as his creativity, calm and execution were noticeably improved on multiple occasions. To me it wouldnt even be sentimental it would be a very good decision.

I thought Ben Keays family ties were to Geelong. That’s how his family know Toby Wooller’s family.

Keays for Ah Chee is far from a fair swap, and Keays would not be in their best 22.

He’d possibly be in their 23 to 30 range on list depth.

It reads like a few people over rate Ben Keays and our current depth in the midfield and small/medium forwards.
Agree that Ah Chee is more talented than Keays but I dont think he is overrated, just many want to see what he does when he comes in for a more extended period

Again I wonder, if we take Ah Chee who is he replacing?

McCarthy could move to midfield with improved fitness so looks like we have gone out and got another younger Linc clone with similar injury issues.

interesting one: On the Couch Lyon said the Dogs have developed in house instead of trading.
Players like Dunkley, Dale, McClean, English, Lipinksi etc all gone up a level.
Not sure why people want to throw out players like C Lyons, Keays etc..
Have they reached their potential. maybe a different role another off season.
I try to watch most NEAFL matches and you see glimpses although not sure the level etc. You do not see them tearing games apart.
Before we look to trade on everyone remember the grass might not be greener with someone new

You don’t mind them not being best 22 when they’re super talented and only 22 coming from a club that struggles to develop footballers and having had a few injuries.
I agree if your getting in a former top 8 pick with talent to burn at 21. You have time to get the body right.
Someone like Greenwood. Has to replace someone 28 to old to have them for depth.

Eddie Betts delisted by Adelaide according to Whateley on AFL360 could be a good pick up much in the Luke Hodge mould for our forward line for 2 years

A but different. Hodge retired playing decent footy. Betts was dropped and later forced out because his defensive pressure wasn’t good enough.

Also Hodge was brought into the worst defensive whereas Betts would be coming into the highest scoring team.

Remove this Banner Ad

2019 Trade thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back