2019 Trade thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Hmm I think I do remember him being labelled as a flight risk. But then again so is almost every kid that goes into state these days

I remember him looking quite distraught when he got drafted but then he went and signed an extension before his first season even started so I assumed GWS had impressed/pleased him.

Small forward depth- Liam Baker?

Reportedly looking for more senior opportunity elsewhere, he might back himself and we could sell it to him with us. You'd think he'd be a better option than a late draft or rookie selection, could the Tigers be interested in Tom Cutler?

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-07-25/rising-tiger-star-weighing-up-future-as-multiple-clubs-circle

IMPROVED Tiger Liam Baker is weighing up where to play next season as rival clubs – including Carlton and Fremantle – inquire about him.

Baker returned to Richmond's senior side last week as a defender, after previously being used as a wingman but is still best known as a forward.

Small forward depth- Liam Baker?

Reportedly looking for more senior opportunity elsewhere, he might back himself and we could sell it to him with us. You'd think he'd be a better option than a late draft or rookie selection, could the Tigers be interested in Tom Cutler?

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-07-25/rising-tiger-star-weighing-up-future-as-multiple-clubs-circle

IMPROVED Tiger Liam Baker is weighing up where to play next season as rival clubs – including Carlton and Fremantle – inquire about him.

Baker returned to Richmond's senior side last week as a defender, after previously being used as a wingman but is still best known as a forward.

Honestly Jason PM I think we are well stocked for small forward depth and our priorities should be elsewhere. We still don’t run deep enough in the midfield or backline run. We’ve had a great run with injuries this year, an injury to one of Zorks, JL or Lachie could have significant impact on team performance. Similarly we struggled for run when Bailey was injured, granted Noah’s come in and been good. Think we need to concentrate on these areas first though.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

We should target Patton to replace Hipwood who tripped over the ball a couple of times against hawthorn, he's hella unco. I know pattons almost a certainty to go the to the hawks but anything is possible
So you want to get rid of our athletic young key forward who can turn a game on its head in minutes, for a bloke who in all honesty has done nothing, but sustain 3 knee recos??
Makes sense

We should target Patton to replace Hipwood who tripped over the ball a couple of times against hawthorn, he's hella unco. I know pattons almost a certainty to go the to the hawks but anything is possible
Patton wouldn't suit our game style, doesn't put on enough pressure in the F50 and has the turning circle of the Titanic + his knees are probably cooked.

just an idea. If Hipwood fails to contribute consistently for the rest of the season and finals, it should be something to consider. Plus when i said replace hipwood i meant replace the role he's attempts to play, all im trying to say is that hipwood is to young to crash packs and take a mark down the line and playing the wrong role

just an idea. If Hipwood fails to contribute consistently for the rest of the season and finals, it should be something to consider. Plus when i said replace hipwood i meant replace the role he's attempts to play, all im trying to say is that hipwood is to young to crash packs and take a mark down the line and playing the wrong role
Hipwood isn’t the one crashing packs the majority of the time it’s Mcstay but all forwards need to do this at times.

Hipwood has his faults (mostly footy smarts which should improve) but suits our game style perfectly.

Not sure I’d trade him for a guy who’s 5 years older and has knees made of china.

Last edited:

You do realise that the bloke is only 21 don’t you mate? A big ask for a skinny 21 year old key fwd to play consistently every week.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

you guys dont understand what im trying to say, Patton could play the role hipwood is atm which takes the best defender off hipwood therefore allowing him to play the 3rd tall role, the role he's most suited to.

you guys dont understand what im trying to say, Patton could play the role hipwood is atm which takes the best defender off hipwood therefore allowing him to play the 3rd tall role, the role he's most suited to.
The best defender isn't going to go to Patton. Hipwood is at least three or four times more dangerous than Patton, even before Patton's last knee injury, and that's as someone who's got a massive mancrush on Patton.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Patton would instantly become that third tall as best defender will still go to Hipwood. We are doing fine with Oscar as that third tall who plays deep in square already. Pass.

I haven’t looked at the number but I reckon he is our second highest goal kicker of the year????

We have McStay and Hipwood and a resting ruck (McInerney now and perhaps Ballenden in 2 years or so with Wooller waiting in the wings), not sure why anyone would think we need another key forward, particularly one as busted up as Patton.:huh:

We have McStay and Hipwood and a resting ruck (McInerney now and perhaps Ballenden in 2 years or so with Wooller waiting in the wings), not sure why anyone would think we need another key forward, particularly one as busted up as Patton.:huh:

Will be expensive as well.

To make that concept work ... assuming the person in question was happy for a pay cut in order to play with sunshine/Fagan/rising team/read BigFooty and realised how awesome Lions' fans are etc etc ... they would have to be dangerous enough of a forward that they would ignore Hipwood in favour of them. How many forwards out there, with decent/some years left in them, are there even out there?

Hipwood will win a Coleman Medal in the next 3 years

Maybe you need to say it better. Provide a proper explanation, instead of one line. This isn't twitter, and most of us will take the time to read and respond to a well written post.

I gwt what you mean, and Hippy i think does play better when he is able to gwt up the field a bit and use his running power more. Id like to see him leading up and working back more, but cameron is the most dangerous running into open spave out the back, nd big O and McStay are providing better options for the down the line kicks.

Hippy still has a bit of x factor the others dont, and his body work is a lot better this year. He is a 200cm key forward and he is always going to attract probably the best defender, because he can kick a bag if allowed.

Remove this Banner Ad

2019 Trade thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back