2019 Young Talent Time

Remove this Banner Ad

Feel like a parrot here but if the dude can even get to Neale height of 178cm, god damn we would have a player. It’s tough to be an inside player any smaller than Neale I feel but it really seems to be his best spot
Yeah but he's the prototypical flanker right? He doesnt play much inside. I think Westerns best traits are his speed, clean hands, incredible handballs and defensive mind-set. These are good inside mid traits which requires a little bit of size on you. I think he'll be a player for us but I think if he can get closer to that 180cm he'd be a superstar
If Zorko's not a comfortable reference to a midget inside mid, Prestia's also alright at 175cm.

If Zorko's not a comfortable reference to a midget inside mid, Prestia's also alright at 175cm.
Those guys are both very girthy.

Western is the skinny young man next to Liam Henry, second from the left on the front row.

1550115617933_G40229MNP.2-2.jpg

Here is Prestia at draft for comparison

c1a8345a645e9c5414014ab3f01cef1f

Western might never get that bulky.

Yeah :)

In which case those comparisons to Neale/Prestia aren't accurate as they're different types of small mids.

Neale is more the bottom of the pack nuggety quick handball out extractor that would pop out the back and wheel around.
Walters is more likely to dip and dive his way through traffic and escape with skill.

Sounds like Western could be more of that ilk, in which case being a nugget isn't everything. Another (taller) comparison might be Jack Martin

I don't think being shorter and not being a nugget is a problem - and having taller bullocking midfielders in the middle helps

I just rewatched the last couple of minutes of the Colts GF because I wanted to see Thomas' game saving smother again and I noticed something else. Western actually smothered the ball directly before it - and it was an equally important smother to win the game.

I just rewatched the last couple of minutes of the Colts GF because I wanted to see Thomas' game saving smother again and I noticed something else. Western actually smothered the ball directly before it - and it was an equally important smother to win the game.
How clean are Western hands, they're amazing. Good combo with his ridiculous speed

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How clean are Western hands, they're amazing. Good combo with his ridiculous speed
Yeah he has great hands. Needs to work a lot on his endurance plus learn to be a bit more accountable when playing on ball - Thorne caught him on his heels quite a few times at stoppages.

If people want to get a sense of the three NGA prospects (from Claremont) they should watch from 1:02:00 onwards (in the Colts GF video I posted above). Watch Leno Thomas kick in - nice! Then watch a bit of Joel Western (#12) working in congestion - the kid has clean hands and serious wheels. Then watch Isaiah Butters (#38) running back with the flight of the ball and grab a great mark in front of goal - watching again he really could get a bid in the main draft, did a lot more than kick 4 goals.

Jesus, Gould’s testing was abyssmal

Gould's testing:

Vertical jump - 54cm - 2nd last
20m sprint - 3.218 seconds - last
Agility - 9.004 seconds - 4th last
Yo-yo - 19.40 - last
2km time trial - 7min, 16 sec - 2nd last

Now the dude is a footballer, not an athlete but those times are something else...

Gould's testing:

Yo-yo - 19.40 - last

Now the dude is a footballer, not an athlete but those times are something else...

I often wonder if a player would throw his test, so the team he wants can get him. Watching him play he is better than that.

Gould's testing:

Yo-yo - 19.40 - last

Wow.

The kid gets great production at SANFL.

The vertical jump didn’t surprise me but the results are pretty shocking.

I agree their is something else.

Maybe, he wants to stay in Adelaide.

Wow.

The kid gets great production at SANFL.

The vertical jump didn’t surprise me but the results are pretty shocking.

I agree their is something else.

Maybe, he wants to stay in Adelaide.
Going back and reading the original post from Chris, and he was pretty much on the money back in June. All the usual suspects are
there.
Sounds like Gould is more of a mixture of Hurn and McGovern, and let's be honest McGovern's state testing, conditioning is why he wasn't
rated.
Have to say it works for WC having players read the play and intercepting, surrounded by clean players that can deliver the ball.
Both are big units to move, stay on their feet, but it depends on the list and it's one area that we appear to be set.
I wouldn't use a top ten pick on Gould, and we have WA kids that can intercept and offer more production later on.
The WA boy at GWS, a defender is another option down the track, and is developing well, I just hope we fix the most obvious holes. 😉

Remove this Banner Ad

2019 Young Talent Time

Remove this Banner Ad

Back