List Mgmt. 2020 Draft (December 9) discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Our currently owned picks:

24 - Blake Coleman
43 - Harry Sharp
48 - Henry Smith

Our currently owned 2021 picks:

1st (MEL), 1st (BRI), 3rd (WCE), 3rd (BRI), 4th (MEL), 4th (COL), 5th (BRI)

Last edited:
I think everyone would agree that we need another ruckman. IIRC, Dean Cox, the West Coast champion, came into West Coast as a rookie. Ruckman have usually drift down the draft order so one in the forties doesn't worry me greatly.

WE didn't get a mature aged ruckman so I assume we got the best rated ruckman that was still left when the pick came up.

Does anyone know if there was any other draftable ruckman about that we could have got instead of Smith? Could we drafted a better young ruckman?
From my understanding, Shannon Neale, Max Heath and Henry Walsh were the main ruckman in the conversation for being drafted. Shannon Neale was taken earlier by Geelong, and Richmond picked up former Lions academy prospect Samson Ryan.

Given Heath and Walsh are Victorian and Neale (WA), Ryan (QLD) and Smith (SA) were the only ruckman taken in the national draft shows the importance of gametime this year to display their talents.

So what happens to the boys who haven't finished school - do they come to Qld and finish their studies while being full time footballers on our list?

It depends on the kid, their family, and the club. Usually they'll stay at their current school but sometimes the club moves them to a boarding school if they're interested.

This year was a poor draft with many kids not playing much football. I am happy with what we picked up in the draft. We have some great kids already waiting to get their chance at senior football and some of this boys will make the next step. I am confident that this will happen. Next year, our draft position we are in a fantastic position to secure some good kids. Overall, our position is extremely good and we should be wrapped in the position where we are at. Yes, Collingwood done the dirty on us but that's Collingwood but we are better than them because we have a good culture and most important a happy club. Our success will come and we have to continue to be positive going forward.

Its Mick Ablett not nathan Mick is a talent scout of sorts knows what he's talking about
Mick currently runs the WA juniors for the AFL and before that was involved in the U18's here. He has watched the U18's for many years in various roles, he knows what he is talking about

This year was a poor draft with many kids not playing much football. I am happy with what we picked up in the draft. We have some great kids already waiting to get their chance at senior football and some of this boys will make the next step. I am confident that this will happen. Next year, our draft position we are in a fantastic position to secure some good kids. Overall, our position is extremely good and we should be wrapped in the position where we are at. Yes, Collingwood done the dirty on us but that's Collingwood but we are better than them because we have a good culture and most important a happy club. Our success will come and we have to continue to be positive going forward.
Too much negativity around these parts IMO. Needs wise happy with the ruckman. Coleman adds a bit of X factor and the running man might be a smart choice with the number of rotations most probably to come down. He and Smith and are younger and therefore actually have more development within them. We already have a number of players on our list who haven’t had the opportunity to play top flight and we will see over the next two if they are up to it. We are still a young team with a lot of improvement and I for one can’t wait to get back to the Gabba next year to watch my team play. I also really hope that the second tier comp gets off the ground so that we can coy to develop our other players.
I feel that the two picks next year in the first round gives us a lot of flexibility as well. We do have some players heading into their last few years and we will need to cover them but the club is well aware of this and are already in the process. The sky isn’t falling in. Get to the Gabba and after a few wins the ‘negative nellies’ will change their tune.

Sorry do we still have rookie spots to fill? I saw that we have one open spot in main list - could be SPP, wonder if rookie has any..

EDIT: Looks like T Rick asked the same. I was under the impression rookie spots are separate and still waiting to be filled..

Sorry do we still have rookie spots to fill? I saw that we have one open spot in main list - could be SPP, wonder if rookie has any..

EDIT: Looks like T Rick asked the same. I was under the impression rookie spots are separate and still waiting to be filled..
I thought our rookie list was full with the delevation of Mathieson Birchall and Ballenden

It's one spot, that can be utilised as a senior or rookie list spot.

Current list numbers:
Senior list - 37
Rookie list - 6 (including Birchall; 4 category A + 2 category B)
Total - 43

The maximum allowed is 44 total players made up of 36-38 senior list, 4-6 category A rookies and 0-2 category B rookies.

Depending on how we utilise that last list spot, we'll either have 38+4+2 or 37+5+2.

From a TPP perspective, it makes more sense to utilise an extra rookie spot (since ~80k is out of the cap).

It's one spot, that can be utilised as a senior or rookie list spot.

Current list numbers:
Senior list - 37
Rookie list - 6 (including Birchall; 4 category A + 2 category B)
Total - 43

The maximum allowed is 44 total players made up of 36-38 senior list, 4-6 category A rookies and 0-2 category B rookies.

Depending on how we utilise that last list spot, we'll either have 38+4+2 or 37+5+2.

From a TPP perspective, it makes more sense to utilise an extra rookie spot (since ~80k is out of the cap).
Going short a main list spot could allow Us to use James Madden who is a category B rookie who can’t be used unless of injury

I don't believe we're paying a price now, by trading in to the future.

We loaded our list with young talent from 2016 to 2019. And we've traded in a fair bit to from 2017 to this year. We've started to shed some of the 2016 draftees, and hopefully this opens up playing time for some of our 2018 and 2019 draftees.

Honestly I would have been happy to just take Coleman and a young ruck this year, and move more picks in to the future if possible.

In season 2021, I believe we're going to have to replace Robinson and Birchall in the best 22 with players currently on the list. Slightly longer term, we have Rich and Zorko as the players most likely needing to be replaced through trade or draft. Much longer term, Lyons, Neale and McCarthy are in the next age bracket, though I believe Robertson and Coleman jr cover two of those spots.
I think we did reasonably OK with the draft, and see two of the three, but probably all three as longer term players. That is where our list is at. We absolutely need to see what Ely, Robertson etc offer, as I don't expect them to keep waiting in reserves. Also glad we did not take Highmore, we let plenty of backs go this year and still seem to have sufficient depth.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think we did reasonably OK with the draft, and see two of the three, but probably all three as longer term players. That is where our list is at. We absolutely need to see what Ely, Robertson etc offer, as I don't expect them to keep waiting in reserves. Also glad we did not take Highmore, we let plenty of backs go this year and still seem to have sufficient depth.
I was thinking along the same lines. The draft strategy for this season seemed to be get Coleman and a couple of "draft and stash" because the last thing the club needs is even more young kids unable to get a game. Smith x 2, Robertson, Prior, Joyce, Madden, Berry Jnr, Ballenden are already on the list, we need to see what they can offer (or not) at the senior level.

That's the biggest issue that we have now been blindsided two years in a row when the same thing isn't happening to other clubs, so it is a failure of the club, but to the rest of your post I chopped out, our whole strategy with respect to the use of our draft picks over a number of years is really suspect and a concern because other clubs aren't making the same mistakes.
We would have known who was likely to bid and where on Coleman we just couldn't get in front of the bid or weren't concerned about it, we can't control where other clubs place bids on our academy players or force clubs to accommodate our wish to trade up so I can't see how you can say we were blindsided and it was a failure by the club.

We have placed a priority on getting a good hand in the 2021 draft, who knows we may have an elite player in the works via trade to come in next off season or we rate the talent in next years draft higher than this years. Our coaching group/list management team may also have a lot of confidence that the likes of Tom Joyce, Deven Robertson, Ely Smith, Connor McFadyen, Jaxon Prior, Brock Smith can step up in 2021.

I think everyone would agree that we need another ruckman. IIRC, Dean Cox, the West Coast champion, came into West Coast as a rookie. Ruckman have usually drift down the draft order so one in the forties doesn't worry me greatly.

WE didn't get a mature aged ruckman so I assume we got the best rated ruckman that was still left when the pick came up.

Does anyone know if there was any other draftable ruckman about that we could have got instead of Smith? Could we drafted a better young ruckman?
If we could've drafted a better Ruckman we would've. Simply No mature age options worth picking.

Blake Coleman- No brainer to match the bid from Collingwood:mad:, needs to work on his endurance, can't have enough quick, nippy, x factor type players.

Harry Sharp- Will immediately set an elite standard in the off season fitness drills, listed as 183cm and a feather weight at 69kg, will need some slow steady gym work over the next few years. I'm looking forward to getting down to some training sessions to see how long J.Berry and Clugga can go with him, fills a need on the wing if he develops well.

Henry Smith
- I had never heard of him but looks quite nimble for a big man and takes a good contested mark, also looks a decent kick albeit the 2 minute highlight package is all I have seen of him.

I don't expect any of the 3 to get a senior shot in 2021.

Blake Coleman- No brainer to match the bid from Collingwood:mad:, needs to work on his endurance, can't have enough quick, nippy, x factor type players.

Harry Sharp- Will immediately set an elite standard in the off season fitness drills, listed as 183cm and a feather weight at 69kg, will need some slow steady gym work over the next few years. I'm looking forward to getting down to some training sessions to see how long J.Berry and Clugga can go with him, fills a need on the wing if he develops well.

Henry Smith- I had never heard of him but looks quite nimble for a big man and takes a good contested mark, also looks a decent kick albeit the 2 minute highlight package is all I have seen of him.

Blake definitely a chance of playing round 1 according to Twomey

I agree with others.. Seeing we played finals last two years the kids we drafted in have been waiting.
Late first round pick where they going to be better then what we have now?
Getting in an under age pushes him out to next year.
So really Coleman only one who may play next year unless we have ruck injuries.

Be interesting why we picked Smith over Walsh/Heath.
Did not hear anything about him.
Pies stuffed us up or kept us honest depends where you look at it.
Everyone knows the Dogs where going to match.

The NGA for footy states is a joke. lots of indigenous kids play footy
Add to that if one or your parents seems the mum mostly not born here your eligible as well.
Not like the Aussie Dad would not of been footy mad.

Henry Smith- I had never heard of him but looks quite nimble for a big man and takes a good contested mark, also looks a decent kick albeit the 2 minute highlight package is all I have seen of him.

Bottom two looks like players we've drafted for 2022 already.
2021 will be one long pre-season for them while they finish school.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2020 Draft (December 9) discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back