Unofficial Preview 2020 Draft Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
You've had time to see Gary Rohan for the best part of 10 years and you claiming he's eeked out a career in athleticism alone is either disingenuous or clueless. I guess everyone is prone to make mistakes so will let it slide as you hypocritically in the same sentence took the most extreme assessment on a player.
Righty-o...🤦‍♂️

He was knockabout. Not a bad kid, but just didn't seem overly interested. Gave me the don't care/lazy vibes. Nothing specific. How many days to go till the draft? They might commit me before then if keep talking about different players' "vibes"

Fair enough. Remember Rioli couldn't care less about his interviews (although some may argue he was told to act it) and you'd never question his commitment.

One of the things that impressed me about Thilthorpe in games is his willingness for second and third efforts. I can only think of a handful of players in this draft that showed that kind of commitment. If he dropped down and we picked him I'd be very happy.

Bowey for me. Maybe a touch early, but good speed, agility, composure and can REALLY kick a football.

Yeah, Bowey way would be an absolute steal for whoever picks him up. Could be the be new Caleb Daniel with hops!

If we can get Ginnivan or Winder with pick 24 that would be a very good outcome.
Poulter is in our sights.

Does anyone think Downie won’t get bid on inside the top 30?

Personally I think we'll be fine. He won't go in the first round and Adelaide have the first two selections of the second, then we have Pick 24 to use as we like.

We'll have to use our first selection in the 40's which is bloody great value 🤑

I'd be wrapped with either of Jack Ginnivan or Bailey Laurie as well.

Seems a really good size, I can see some Bontempelli traits in Poulters game.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
I wonder if the questions on him are due to his size? He looked pretty polished, involved in chains all throughout that package but will he be able to continue to do what he was doing there against AFL ready bodies, not U18 where he was able to stand out? There were only left side disposals too, maybe one dimensional?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Call me crazy but I reckon 2 knee reco’s can greatly diminish ones athletic prowess and ability at AFL level - case in point - Beau Muston, Brendon Whitecrosd - both never the same player after 2x knee recos

Perkins has never done a knee so no idea why we are comparing him to Bonner ...
This is especially true of muston an absolute tragedy. Guy had genuine acceleration and break neck speed and agility

Really good overview of what has major impact on the draft positioning.

An outsider, less in the know, might get sucked into the quantities as opposed to the quality within those kicks, marks or handballs. An insider knows to look at things like the kick mechanics, ability to judge the flight of the ball, non-dominant hand handballing.

I have this argument with a mate a lot. Will Days highlights from his draft year and his first season in brown and gold are the best example. An 18 year old in their first season has no right to be as clean with one touch as Day is, nor as smart with quick decision making and skill to nail the subsequent disposal. It doesn't matter if he only has 9 touches in a game if he is doing those things so well at such a young age.

I've got a friend who thinks Day is just an okay player because he is only comparing his statistics to Rowell, Anderson, Walsh etc. The gun youngsters who accumulate more and stand out because of it. Day isn't necessarily better than those players. But look at how effective he can be with less of the ball. He makes every possession count and doesn't make mistakes. He more than justifies his first round selection and the expectations we have on him now for the next decade.

An outsider, less in the know, might get sucked into the quantities as opposed to the quality within those kicks, marks or handballs. An insider knows to look at things like the kick mechanics, ability to judge the flight of the ball, non-dominant hand handballing.

I have this argument with a mate a lot. Will Days highlights from his draft year and his first season in brown and gold are the best example. An 18 year old in their first season has no right to be as clean with one touch as Day is, nor as smart with quick decision making and skill to nail the subsequent disposal. It doesn't matter if he only has 9 touches in a game if he is doing those things so well at such a young age.

I've got a friend who thinks Day is just an okay player because he is only comparing his statistics to Rowell, Anderson, Walsh etc. The gun youngsters who accumulate more and stand out because of it. Day isn't necessarily better than those players. But look at how effective he can be with less of the ball. He makes every possession count and doesn't make mistakes. He more than justifies his first round selection and the expectations we have on him now for the next decade.
Yes, Days movement and ability to get in and out of contest is what had me sitting up and taking notice. Similarly it's what I am looking for again this year.

Youngsters who have composure, clean hands and can step out of a contested situation are the bright shining lights we should be drawn towards.

How would you rank the best mids this draft?

Based on the highlights, I think Will Phillips, but it could easily be Hollands or Campbell.

Phillips could turn out to be a T.Mitchell or J Selwood - he looks to me a safer bet than Hollands.

Based on the highlights, I think Will Phillips, but it could easily be Hollands or Campbell.

Phillips could turn out to be a T.Mitchell or J Selwood - he looks to me a safer bet than Hollands.
The midfield doesn’t need another tom Mitchell, it needs A classy impactful player like Holland’s that break games open up forward as well. Phillips will be a great player but we need better upside , if Holland’s is gone by our pick id hope we would pick Archie Perkins who has a far greater ceiling than Phillips.

Phillips is head and shoulders above everyone is a pure mid . I dont see the similarities with tom Mitchell either , Phillips has a serious burst of speed .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back