List Mgmt. 2020 List Management

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really clear now that Betts Murphy Simpson and Casboult need to join Kreuzer (Gibbs) in retirement.
Perhaps Casboult may find another home for a season, good luck to him.
That immediately clears list and cap space to address our obvious needs and allows the team to forge it’s new identity going forward ...

Pitto is only 24 and him and TDK will split the duties 50/50 whilst the other rests forward, I'd imagine. Gov gets in the way of that.

As does he get in the way of McKay, Curnow, Cripps resting forward, and basically anyone else in the vicinity.

Gov seems like a good laugh to have a beer with, and I'm sure he wants to be a good player but his body and mind are just too fragile. Some blokes have exceptional attributed but can't string them together, I think he's one of them, unfortunately.

I agree with the bolded but I think long term it will be Levi who makes way to enable it to happen. We have two young ruckmen so it may take another year or so before we see it.

Betts should 100% be moved on but I rekon the thinking of the club would be that our footy department spending is going to get slashed hugely meaning we will naturally lose people in player development roles so having a guy like Betts on the list may Help out in that regard, we are just paying him out of the players salary cap rather then the footy department’s for him to be some sort of a development coach with playing secondary. ATM developing what we have is miles more important then another list spot. We have about 20 players on our list who’s games need help in their development and losing more people from the club involved in helping out in that area is dangerous and is naturally going to happen with the lower footy department cap.

Delist/Retire:
Lang
Betts
Simpson
O’Dwyer
Goddard
Moore
Owies
Macreadie

Trade:
Dow
Casboult
O’Brien
Marchbank
Murphy

we need a semi rebuild. I don’t think finals are on the cards until we get our lost balance right and our coaching panel sorted. A lot can happen quickly but we need to be ruthless with this list. If they aren’t contributing or have value get them out now.

Plain to see this year that the game has moved past most of our senior players.

Id be trying to bring in the likes of Merrett, Graham, Williams, Papley and Hopper. Not gonna get all of them obviously but find a way to get a few of them over.

We need to secure some really driven players who give their all every game. None of those players are the talents of Judd or Dusty etc, they arent even the best of their craft in the AFL. But they all give their absolute all every game.

We already have the 'talents' on our list to make a push. We have Walsh, Weiters, Setters, SpS, Charlie, Harry, Stocker, Kemp, Tdk, Cripps.

We need blokes who are going to get the rest of the team revved up and give their all. Guys like Graham may not be anything special but the bloke works his ass off every week. Papley might be contentious but he tries to light the fire and create every week. Williams might not be the best kick in the AFl but hes willing to take the game on and run every week. Hopper may not be the best inside mid in the comp but he bashes and crashes every week.

For me its plain to see its time to move the old guard on and try everything we can to get some of these unrelenting players into the club to surround these top talents we have lying in wait.

Theyve been some of our most loyal players, but they are no longer physically capable of doing what we need of them anymore. We should be giving them the send off they deserve when we play Brisbane. Casboult, Simmo, Eddie its time to move on.
Why are you listing Kemp and stocker as talents?? Kemp hasn’t touched a footy and stocker hasn’t played in over 12 months and nothing blew us away to think he’s going to be a talent.

Pitto is only 24 and him and TDK will split the duties 50/50 whilst the other rests forward, I'd imagine. Gov gets in the way of that.

As does he get in the way of McKay, Curnow, Cripps resting forward, and basically anyone else in the vicinity.

Gov seems like a good laugh to have a beer with, and I'm sure he wants to be a good player but his body and mind are just too fragile. Some blokes have exceptional attributed but can't string them together, I think he's one of them, unfortunately.
I would never play Pitto and TDK in the same team. Having a less than dangerous forward just gifts the opposition a spare defender, and if that's someone like Jeremy McGovern it will cost the game

Apologies for the length of this post, but hopefully it will be seen as considered. I watch every single game regardless of result (that has been hard at times). I do not watch junior footy other than youtube clips so have no idea about those not playing regular footy. I watch 5-9 games per week depending on work/family. I really believe we are at a cross roads. We have the A grade talent on the list to build a real flag contender over the next 3 years. But we need to make some hard decisions. If I was in charge of reviewing the CFC to put in place a 3 year plan for a flag I would approach this offseason as follows:

Coaching Staff

I believe we have too many voices looking at the coaching structure and taking into account budget cuts.

I would setup like this:

Senior Coach - David Teague
Senior Assistant - [insert experienced coach - Choco, Voss etc]
Defence - Amos has done enough to keep this IMO
Midfield - we need a gun retired mid with some edge. Hodge would be ideal. Voss? Stanton should not be retained
Forward - we need a gun retired forward with tactical nous. Sorry Cam Bruce
Strategy & Scouting - looks at opposition teams etc. Need to do our research here
Development - Luke Power deserves more time

That means moving on Stanton, Bruce and Barker. The roles underneath these can be filled based on views of the existing team and what we can afford. I believe we need a dedicated mentor program for each player, where we pair them with a gun player from the last 10 years (any club). Pay said ex-player $10k per year to be available for calls, coffee etc. A voice away from the club. That $400k is a better use of funds than on two assistants.

Playing List

Retire - Kreuzer, Simpson & Betts - thanks guys. Amazing servants to the club. Eddie perhaps as forwards coach
Delist - Lang, Polson, BSOS (depending on internal feedback), Finbar (again subject to internal feedback), Goddard and Moore
Trade - Levi (free agent so sign and trade to Pies for a second or let walk), Kennedy and McGovern

Trade Period

Free Agents - Crouch and Williams. If fail on one of those look at Viney. We have the money. Spend it
Trade for - Graham (pick around 25 - try and get this through trading out a combination of Levi, Kennedy and/or McGovern) and Hatley (second round pick - perhaps from this year. Need to convince him not to go to SA)

2021 Plan

The three tall experiment is over. It makes us too easy to run off and with mobile KPFs like Curnow and McKay they need space. Our third tall is JSOS rotating with Cripps. We need more run.

Forwards:

JSOS McKay Hatley

Fisher Curnow Martin

Midfield:

DeKonning Cripps Crouch

Walsh Setterfield Curnow

Defence:

Newman Jones Plowman

Williams Weitering Docherty

Bench:

Gibbons, Graham, Cunningham and Pittonet

Why the forward line? - McKay and Curnow need space. Fisher and Martin crumb well. JSOS is a good mark for his size so can create mismatches. Hatley is the experiment as you would start him there with a view to working into the midfield. People like Owies, Honey and even Kemp can push for selection.

Why the midfield? - Cripps, Crouch and Walsh can all get 25+ possessions, which helps control play. Setters is growing and Curnow has runs on the board. This would be the first rotation. You can then shift Cripps forward 20% with SOS coming in or even Graham. Gibbons, Cunners, Martin and Hatley also rotate through giving us a good balance of runners and blockers. You then have people like SPS, Dow, Kemp, LOB, Stocker, Newnes etc competing for spots. I would hope very quickly SPS and Dow break into this side. Murphy can earn a spot.

Why the defence - Good mix of pace and run. Perhaps slightly small but if you have your ruck rest down there it would work. People like Kemp, Williamson, Macredie and Marchbank can push for selection.

I believe in playing Pittonet as a second ruck because it means we keep a genuine ruck on the ball every minute. We can use this to stretch teams with great number one rucks but no backup. Having a more mobile forward line allows this.

Obviously it won't all work out this way. We will likely miss Hatley but then a Dow or SPS comes in first up. You could move first rounders for Wines or Kelly (if available). But based on what I think is reasonably attainable, this is how I would run things.

Kemp im really excited about. Probably more so than any other youngster I've seen at the club. Just got a really good feeling about that kid.

Would be happy to get Jack Graham a real bull with a desire to tackle. Another guy I think we could target is Jack Petruccelle from WC. Vic boy with elite speed, beautiful kick and struggling to get a game.

We've put together a very soft team unfortunately.

Weve beaten Geelong, were in front of Port on the final siren. We’ve won some very close games and were one game from the 8 with 2 rounds to go.

We’ve come a long way since mid-2019.

Players aren’t soft, but there’s still a lot of work to do during the off-season.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Why?

We have more promising depth in that area.

Cas, JSOS, Kemp, TDK, even Cripps and Kennedy can play a stint there.

Because he's a better footballer than what he's produced in his first two years here.

Understand the frustration but on a heavily reduced contract giving him the opportunity to recapture his best form is an absolute no-brainer.

As for the "depth" you've mentioned, only one has ever shown anything as a 3rd tall forward.

Because he's a better footballer than what he's produced in his first two years here.

Understand the frustration but on a heavily reduced contract giving him the opportunity to recapture his best form is an absolute no-brainer.

As for the "depth" you've mentioned, only one has ever shown anything as a 3rd tall forward.

I'm torn with that decision. Wouldn't know which way to go with McGovern.

My head is saying keep him on a reduced contract. Give him a bit more time to come good. It's probably the smart thing to do.

My heart is saying trade him. He's not showing enough intensity around the ball. Is playing like a conditional footballer. It's not a great example to set to your younger players.

That's where my disappointment comes from. Just looks like he's not trying half the time.

He needs to match the effort of Simmo, Ed and Kreuzer.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

is he? Adelaide fans spoke of him in the same manner... exceptional attributes, plenty of potential, can't string it together. what's his best form? he's kicked 5 goals once or twice i think.. averages 1.3 goals a game as a full-time forward with 6 years in the system.

TDK has shown more already imo. JSOS has always added more in that role, i dunno why SOS was hell bent on getting a bloke to take his sons place.

would offer a contract for half the current ones cost and tell him he's not exempt from playing 2's anymore.

Why are you listing Kemp and stocker as talents?? Kemp hasn’t touched a footy and stocker hasn’t played in over 12 months and nothing blew us away to think he’s going to be a talent.
Only because we havent seen enough of those two to make judgements on them. I've seen enough of most others on our list apart from this past batch of draftees to know what those players can bring. Right now basically all I have to go off on Stocker and Kemp is they were very talented juniors. Until they come in and absolutely break games open or absolutely stink it up I see no reason to list them as anything other than 'talents'

is he? Adelaide fans spoke of him in the same manner... exceptional attributes, plenty of potential, can't string it together. what's his best form? he's kicked 5 goals once or twice i think.. averages 1.3 goals a game as a full-time forward with 6 years in the system.

Yes, he is.

He's always been a flashy, 'moments' player, hence why Adelaide fans always wanted more.

When we got him across from the Crows I was thrilled, and I stated that a fit and firing McGovern makes any forward line in the league. And I stand by that.

Obviously he's nowhere near that at the moment. He wouldn't be worth anything on the trade table, but the talent is there. He's too good a footballer to simply give up on and delist 2 years into life at a new club where he's had a whole lot of issues to deal with.

Sign him to another deal on heavily reduced wages and see if he can turn it around. If he can, fantastic; if he can't, we haven't lost much.

There's just no point getting rid of him now.

Kemp im really excited about. Probably more so than any other youngster I've seen at the club. Just got a really good feeling about that kid.

Would be happy to get Jack Graham a real bull with a desire to tackle. Another guy I think we could target is Jack Petruccelle from WC. Vic boy with elite speed, beautiful kick and struggling to get a game.
Petruccelle re-signed for WCE for another 3 years, unfortunately.

Isn't dominating now but will be a ripper in the future.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Most of that sounds decent, but Petruccelle is a poor kick. Not interested in him.

If McGovern really is on $800k and is out of contract, silver lining is that's a lot of salary cap space with not many demanding significant pay rises. We'll probably throw most of it back his way though.
Better to reconstruct Harry and pay front end it out of half gov money -- gov 400 or go

Has it been confirmed McGovern is out of contract ? All I’ve seen is a Sam Edmund article saying he was however a lot of reporters just go off footywire which isn’t always accurate, I have a vague memory of barass stating he was getting a 4 year deal when we were recruiting him, offering a player a 2 year deal that your trying to recruit seems unders in years for me, I hope it was 2 years but I’d be backing barass with 4 years.

McGovern can play good footy but why he isn't is mind boggling, wouldn't delist. Would trade though.
Not trying to defend him or anything, but our balance in the forward line is completely off. We seem to go for Mckay or Casboult when kicking inside 50 and not McGovern. Not actually sure McGovern knows what his role is and he seems to be caught watching when the ball goes down there.
Think this is something we have to fix up, maybe by playing him more up the ground for a start.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back