2020 Trade & List Management discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Correct, it seems like many people in here harbor an extremely basic understanding of the salary cap.

As it stands right now we are in substantially more danger of not for-filling our 2022 salary cap requirements then we are of exceeding it!

Sorry - are you saying that I have a very basic understanding of the salary cap?

Of course what you need to pay someone to rpise them away from their club is going to be a factor in recruiting.

Very different players, but could be that both would play similar roles in our midfield.
Makes us very slow.

Is Graham a good/average player in a great system or is he that good ?? I'd say the former, for me he's not high on the list of needs.

Won't take that many in this Draft ....after the first round, it'll be father /sons, acadamy

I can see 5 maybe 6 ......although we'll have to delist 10 players by the sound of list discussions

Each draftee has a 2 year contract, and we need to allow for next years Draft in our list management, and number of senior players around the kids

Not sure where ad victoriam got the 12 draftees line.

I think we take four players between pick 1 and 20. I think we take all 3 NGA's. And I'd like us to bring in minimum two traded in players.

That's nine players. If the list goes from 44 to 40, then we need 13 delistings/trades/FAs.

No team considered not "in contention" is going to be at all keen to trade picks that look to be in the top 5 or 6 if their recruiters have a say with talent the likes of like Jason Horne, Tyler Sonsie, Josh Rachele, Josh Rentsch, Ben Hobbs, Josh Sinn, Alex Lucic, Nick Daicos, Sam Banks, Charlie Molan, Cooper Murley just some of the super talents next year and that's not allowing for WA who usually come up with a couple of high end prospects.
I doubt it as well. But you still dangle it to see if anyone is willing to mortgage the future for a pick 1 quality FF.

If not you take McDonald and be happy with probably the most in form player in the draft.

Delist (not including Rookie delistings)

Poholke
Knight
Atkins
Crocker
Davis

Trade
Seedsman
Kelly

I'd suggest Frampton will get another year out of necessity .....but it does mean getting a Ruckman in this Draft

Gibbs?

Brad Crouch? Atkins obviously a free agent.

Keeping Hartigan? Gallucci? Strauchan?

What if the lists shrink?

I think you're being pretty generous to a weak list. Are you not taking one of the NGAs?

Frampton is contracted for 2 more years, he's not going anywhere this season.

I think that final Frampton year needs him to hit some contract targets to get the third year.

Last edited:
Makes us very slow.

Is Graham a good/average player in a great system or is he that good ?? I'd say the former, for me he's not high on the list of needs.
Of the 2 Hately as a list fit is a no brainer, has an inside/outside game as a mid and also far more versatility in that he can also play wing/half forward with his running power.

Gibbs?

Keeping Hartigan?
Forgot Gibbs ......hasn't everyone

Yep, keeping Hartigan one more year ......McAsey will be strong enough 2022 ....by then Talia will be ready to go, so we're still a key defender or 2 shy in our list management

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like this idea. Teams generally overvalue picks in the current draft, and undervalue future picks. I can't see much improvement in North, Sydney or Hawthorn next year, So trading pick 2 > Hawthorn's pick 5/6 + future 1st could present some real value. There's every chance Hawks finish last next year.

Not a single club will be overvaluing this year's draft in comparison to next year's. The opposite is true. Everyone will be trying to get out of this draft and into 2021.

I hate Geelong and Port at pretty much the same level these days. So neither would bother me more then the other!

Neither would bother me at all if we hold pick 2 as a result

Geelong are absolute legends when compared to Port.

ANYONE instead of Port.

Gibbs?

Keeping Hartigan? Gallucci? Strauchan?

What if the lists shrink?

I think you're being pretty generous to a weak list. Are you not taking one of the NGAs?
Gallucci MIGHT get a nice 1 year deal but he could certainly be on his way.

Sorry - are you saying that I have a very basic understanding of the salary cap?

Of course what you need to pay someone to rpise them away from their club is going to be a factor in recruiting.
It wasn't a dig at you specifically. It was a generalization about how so many people over-dramatize the concept of "Exceeding the Salary Cap".

For us the reality is that so much money is coming off the books in the next 15 months that signing some players at higher rates will almost be a necessity to even meet our minimum salary cap requirements.

In short as a 2020 Crows fan worrying about the 2021 salary cap is about as useful as trying to win a rocking chair race.

Forgot Gibbs ......hasn't everyone

Yep, keeping Hartigan one more year ......McAsey will be strong enough 2022 ....by then Talia will be ready to go, so we're still a key defender or 2 shy in our list management
Despite the hater on here I'm ok with Hartigan. Especially the way he has played the last couple.
I am in a dilemma with Crouch. I rate him highly still and any new boys may take time to play. His negative is he is injury prone. I would hate to see him have a blinder against us.

Not sure where ad victoriam got the 12 draftees line.

I think we take four players between pick 1 and 20. I think we take all 3 NGA's. And I'd like us to bring in minimum two traded in players.

That's nine players. If the list goes from 44 to 40, then we need 13 delistings/trades/FAs.
It was in reply to a pervious comment,
and the question "IS 11 -12 players in this year draft too many" not 12 draftees.

Despite the hater on here I'm ok with Hartigan. Especially the way he has played the last couple.
I am in a dilemma with Crouch. I rate him highly still and any new boys may take time to play. His negative is he is injury prone. I would hate to see him have a blinder against us.
That doesn't really bother me anymore. There are that many ex Crows around the league now that if you worry about them all playing well against you then you will end up being sh*tty every other week.

Having said that I still don't like seeing Lever do well, but that's just because he's a gigantic d-hole!

Last edited:
Getting Hately from GWS for a second round pick would be better than actually drafting him with a first in 2018
Especially since he’s been spending his time since being drafted getting developed alongside a mob of champion midfielders in a side that hasnt got Matt Hass teaching them how to get and stay fit!..

To get him with a second rounder would be a massive bonus really...

Caldwell would be even better.. we should still throw the kitchen sink at him even if it in the end only makes Carlton possibly pay a little more for him.

if they are paying mclovin $800k and god knows how much to cripps, and several other stars they have, they surely cant have much cap space.. making them overpay at every opportunity should be every club in the comps aim..

And do they ever not scrounge off GWS’s list?.. heck me.

Any one looked at how many piont we will need if we select the 3 NGA/Father sons.
Asumming we are luckly to use pick 1, 10 and pick 19 on draft picks along with the pick before or after our 2nd rd (atkins)
As it stand our current picks of 28, 42 50 and 61 equals 1480 pionts which will be reuced to 1097 if there are 7 NGA/father son picks from other Clubs.
which means if we go for all 3 of our own we need to hope they all don't go in the 2nd round. Even two picks in the 2rd put us over in pionts. and hurts us next year.
This year is not as easy as poeple believe for the Crows, espeacly since Borlase put on a very good performance and Newchurch is turning out to be a decent forward pick. Along with Edwards all could be in this years Draft 2nd rd picks.

However we may get pick 2 for Brad Crouch but that is far from a given as they are in talks
Atkins I am hoping give either the pick before or the pick after our 2nd pick band 2 or 3 make no differance to the Crows.
Hartigan a possible Pick in the Band 2-3 range if he take up free agency.
Note Band 2 and 3 means are basacly back to back pick for the Crows, band 2 is end of the first rd, followed by our current 2nd rd pick or band 3 which directly follows our 2nd rd pick on change will come if othe clubs get band 2 compensation.

Our only trade baits are Knight, Pohokle, Gallucci, maybe a contracted player do not know.

Going to be intresting trade and draft period, lots of possibilities.

Delist (not including Rookie delistings)

Poholke
Knight
Atkins
Crocker
Davis

Trade
Seedsman
Kelly

I'd suggest Frampton will get another year out of necessity .....but it does mean getting a Ruckman in this Draft

Frampton will be getting another 2 years...

Getting Hately from GWS for a second round pick would be better than actually drafting him with a first in 2018

Definitely.

He's had two years in a good system and dodges a lot of the bullshit we went through on top of the savings in draft collateral. Night and day differences.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back