List Mgmt. 2021 List Management: Draft, Trade, Free Agency and Academy

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am hoping we get Brodie as well. Valente hopefully comes through, but if he doesn't we end up a bit thin for bigger, inside bulls once Mundy retires. Hopefully Brodie can do that.

He came through in Darcy's draft year and they would have played for VC together. Nice connection I reckon.
If you're thinking Valente is a "bigger inside bull" then you're going to be very disappointed. When I saw him playing Peel reserves he is not all that big and certainly not a bull.

Last edited:
I know this option is going to be shot down hard by some as he seems very unpopular in this crowd, but could we play Wilson on a wing?

If not, why not?

Has some pace, can kick/ run and carry.

I would say his fitness hasn’t been to the level that would allow this but I think JL could say “look you are not best 22 as a backman now, the wing could be yours if you put in the work” let him train for it through pre season and see what happens.

I don’t think if we are healthy he gets a regular game in the back 6 next year so why not try a Hail Mary.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
How long do you see him being the solution there? He seemed to be slipping out of favour and I can't say I'm confident he gets another contract.

Do you think this might be because aside from the guy who polled (Ryan) most of our defenders had games spread across about a dozen players?

Without even trying - Duman, Watson, Young, Chapman, Pearce, Hamling, Wilson, Cox, Conca, Walker, Logue, Hughes all went through .....in comparison with the best Melbourne used 30 players for the entire season across all positions.

So is it a problem or not at all?
Is not having a fairly regular back 6-8 guys not a problem??

Im aware of all the reasons. It seems others wish to point out obvious reasons.

Ive stated our back 6 is a problem to someone who said it’s not.

If you’re coming off injuries, not having a regular fit squad, plugging holes that’s a problem.

To pass it off on our midfield or to bury our heads to the fact our back 6 regularly are injured is ignorant.

I think we will finish the year with 6, 8, Clark and Benning late in the draft. Probably lose a future second which is becoming very dockery.
If that is the end result, I would blow an absolute fuse. Confident that wont be the case

AFL draft central rankings (potential freo draftees):
3. Finn Callaghan
8. Josh Ward
9. Neil Erasmus
10. NWM
12. Rachele
14. Amiss
15. Johnson
18. Roberts
23. JVR
24. Williams
26. Motlop

I know this option is going to be shot down hard by some as he seems very unpopular in this crowd, but could we play Wilson on a wing?

If not, why not?

Has some pace, can kick/ run and carry.

I would say his fitness hasn’t been to the level that would allow this but I think JL could say “look you are not best 22 as a backman now, the wing could be yours if you put in the work” let him train for it through pre season and see what happens.

I don’t think if we are healthy he gets a regular game in the back 6 next year so why not try a Hail Mary.

He does get a lot of score involvements and he’s an awful defender so I’d be open to giving him a pre season game on the wing to see how he goes. He will need to improve his tank a lot though.

How long do you see him being the solution there? He seemed to be slipping out of favour and I can't say I'm confident he gets another contract.

If he can play that role and it gives him another year or two that would provide some coverage and time for guys like Henry, Fredrick, Western and whoever else we have now or draft to build their bodies and tanks to take over.

Not everything has to be a 5 year solution, guys can fill roles and plug holes while others develop.

I would also suggest that if some combination of Hamling, Pearce, Logue, Chapman and Ryan are healthy it would be worth giving Cox another go forward, particularly if we give up Lobb.

I know he has All Aus potential down back but Pav was All Aus as a full back and then went back forward and dominated.

AFL draft central rankings (potential freo draftees):
3. Finn Callaghan
8. Josh Ward
9. Neil Erasmus
10. NWM
12. Rachele
14. Amiss
15. Johnson
18. Roberts
23. JVR
24. Williams
26. Motlop

Any combo with 6 (8) and 8 (10) of Erasmus, NWM, Rachele + Amiss I think would keep the faithful content.

Would be a hard one to swallow if we did somehow get a pick around 20 and give it up for Clark to then see JVR still on the board after 20 but gone before say 25 or 27... That would be hard for the faithful to cheer.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So is it a problem or not at all?
Is not having a fairly regular back 6-8 guys not a problem??

Im aware of all the reasons. It seems others wish to point out obvious reasons.

Ive stated our back 6 is a problem to someone who said it’s not.

If you’re coming off injuries, not having a regular fit squad, plugging holes that’s a problem.

To pass it off on our midfield or to bury our heads to the fact our back 6 regularly are injured is ignorant.

So hypothetically with picks 6, 8 & 25 you’d be targeting 1 defender or 2 with our picks?

We were 7th worst defense or 11th best if you prefer to read it that way.

The defense wasn’t and isn’t fine.

The one area we were actual good at was the midfield.

The mods are overrated. Our midfield desperately needs to improve their efforts to help the defence. Some games the defenders were put under unnecessary pressure when the opposition was able to walk it out of the centre

So hypothetically with picks 6, 8 & 25 you’d be targeting 1 defender or 2 with our picks?

No. Don't twist my comments. I obviously wish for a healthy backline. One where players are fighting for spots, not gifted games due to a glut of injuries.

We obviously have greater needs.

BUT I repeat our backline isn't fine. No one can realistically say that it is. What they can say is that we have depth in that area and it isn't a need at the draft right now. But injured depth is useless. You cant keep drafting to fix the areas you stuffed up on through poor form, injuries or whatever.

Clearly we need some forward/midfield presence.

But if someone like Bazzo is available at a hypothetical pick 40 then I'd be jumping on that over anything else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back