List Mgmt. 2021 Mid-Season Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

I’ll get behind the call of Stengle if it goes that way because he at least addresses a need, but can we pump the brakes on his talent? After 4 years in the system he was a below average AFL player and he’s a good SANFL player, but not a clear standout. That projects as fringe 22 at best, IMO. I’m not sold on Callow either, but I think he has more to work with than Stengle. If I’m being honest I’d probably prefer Briskey to both and Johnson is far more intriguing.

I’ll get behind the call of Stengle if it goes that way because he at least addresses a need, but can we pump the brakes on his talent? After 4 years in the system he was a below average AFL player and he’s a good SANFL player, but not a clear standout. That projects as fringe 22 at best, IMO. I’m not sold on Callow either, but I think he has more to work with than Stengle. If I’m being honest I’d probably prefer Briskey to both and Johnson is far more intriguing.
So you're saying he's not a mix of Daicos, Bartlett and Leigh Matthews?

Collingwood also has interest in ruckman Alexander Mirkov, currently on Carlton’s VFL list.
From Edmund's article a few days earlier

The Blues are said to be hiding one. He’s a hard man to hide, he’s a former volleyballer and officially on Carlton’s VFL list.”

“He’s 21, 210cm and 104kg. Watch this space on Alex Mirkov. He’s a chance to join the Blues.”

We take two picks into the MSD, what’s the odds of snaring Ash Johnson before anyone else? Or any player we want before any other club? Is it Nth and who else in front of us at pick 3?

I dunno... 22 and a wake up call should mean that that he is entering his prime. So projecting better than what he was when previously in the AFL system. Has a bit of Jai Bolton about him, and showing skills & explosiveness that no other non-AFL player possesses at this point in time

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I dunno... 22 and a wake up call should mean that that he is entering his prime. So projecting better than what he was when previously in the AFL system. Has a bit of Jai Bolton about him, and showing skills & explosiveness that no other non-AFL player possesses at this point in time

I emphasised the prime word. He’s coming into the worst environment in the game right now, IMO. Worst ball movement, bottom 4 midfield, a group low on confidence and under a coaching group that will either be entirely cleaned out post 2021 or close enough. From my perspective for someone that needs to go up at least two gears with off-field Q’s as a sweetener it’s a very speculative pick. I would also add that it seems like there’s a few showing those traits at state league level Raak, Johnson and Thorne included.

I emphasised the prime word. He’s coming into the worst environment in the game right now, IMO. Worst ball movement, bottom 4 midfield, a group low on confidence and under a coaching group that will either be entirely cleaned out post 2021 or close enough. From my perspective for someone that needs to go up at least two gears with off-field Q’s as a sweetener it’s a very speculative pick. I would also add that it seems like there’s a few showing those traits at state league level Raak, Johnson and Thorne included.
If he's ever going to make it, it probably shouldn't be with us.

To be clinical about it our playing list is not far about VFL standard and there are obviously emotional and behavioural issues there.

Such a group is far from ideal for a person of his mindset.

The Club environment, will be the same for Raak, Johnson and Thorne - so the concerns about Stengle not improving equally apply to them.
So I'm not quite clear on your concerns.
And given there will be Coaching changes as you have pointed out, concerns about current issues, ball movement etc. should not have much weight in deciding to recruit him, as they are likely to change with a new Coaching group.

If however you your feel the off field issues could be a lingering concern then that's an understandable reason to pass on him.

When I watch this 2020 highlights package for Tyson Stengle, I see a player with great goal sense and a clear knowledge on how to crumb in a manner that our current list players don't. We desperately need that capability in our team and McCreery and him would make a dangerous 1-2 for pressure. He was doing it in a weak Adelaide team too. (Plus it seems he is a reasonable bet for first goal in a game if you're so inclined. I count 3 in this clip alone!)

I acknowledge his history, but think that he is worth a shot, rather than a 192-193cm undersized key forward when we already have Mihocek, Cox, Kelly, Cameron on our list and DeGoey, Elliott as marking types in our forward line as well.

Pick up Stengle, hope he matures, and stop playing Callum Brown and probably Josh Thomas who simply do not deserve to be offered a game almost every single week simply because of a lack of alternatives. Even JT made an off-field mistake along with Lachie Keefe. Both of those guys seem to have pulled their heads in. Stengle definitely worth a shot and we need to take some educated risks without giving much away, particularly when we've given up our top draft pick for next season to GWS and will consequently empty the cupboard to get Nick Daicos.

And Nathan Freeman is another. If he can rack up 41 touches a week at VFL level in a mid-ranking team, he could definitely add something to our one-paced midfield.

I'm one for believing that players can mature at ~22yo in a way that they simply may not be ready for at 18-19 yo.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2021 Mid-Season Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Back