List Mgmt. 2021 Mid-Season Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

When I watch this 2020 highlights package for Tyson Stengle, I see a player with great goal sense and a clear knowledge on how to crumb in a manner that our current list players don't. We desperately need that capability in our team and McCreery and him would make a dangerous 1-2 for pressure. He was doing it in a weak Adelaide team too. (Plus it seems he is a reasonable bet for first goal in a game if you're so inclined. I count 3 in this clip alone!)

I acknowledge his history, but think that he is worth a shot, rather than a 192-193cm undersized key forward when we already have Mihocek, Cox, Kelly, Cameron on our list and DeGoey, Elliott as marking types in our forward line as well.

Pick up Stengle, hope he matures, and stop playing Callum Brown and probably Josh Thomas who simply do not deserve to be offered a game almost every single week simply because of a lack of alternatives. Even JT made an off-field mistake along with Lachie Keefe. Both of those guys seem to have pulled their heads in. Stengle definitely worth a shot and we need to take some educated risks without giving much away, particularly when we've given up our top draft pick for next season to GWS and will consequently empty the cupboard to get Nick Daicos.

And Nathan Freeman is another. If he can rack up 41 touches a week at VFL level in a mid-ranking team, he could definitely add something to our one-paced midfield.

I'm one for believing that players can mature at ~22yo in a way that they simply may not be ready for at 18-19 yo.

I'd be astonished if Freeman would ever consider acknowledging us let alone play for us.

The Club environment, will be the same for Raak, Johnson and Thorne - so the concerns about Stengle not improving equally apply to them.
So I'm not quite clear on your concerns.
And given there will be Coaching changes as you have pointed out, concerns about current issues, ball movement etc. should not have much weight in deciding to recruit him, as they are likely to change with a new Coaching group.

If however you your feel the off field issues could be a lingering concern then that's an understandable reason to pass on him.

The key difference between those three and Stengle is that they don’t have AFL exposure. Stengle was Brown/ JT in his 4 years in the system so its factual that he needs to improve in order to have an impact. The others may not. I don’t really have a stance on his off-field stuff only that it seems minor (considering Steele’s 2020 indiscretions) and he probably needs to get out of SA.

Sadly looks like Bailey Lambert still hasn’t nominated...

Yoda_ reckons it’s a smart move as he’s a follower of Frankston and thinks he’s good enough to be the first VFL player taken in the ND.

I’m not 100% on this, but it may also open him back up to being taken as a FS with the Tigers. Although on the face of it that would seem strange...

Very disappointed 😭

Yoda_ reckons it’s a smart move as he’s a follower of Frankston and thinks he’s good enough to be the first VFL player taken in the ND.

I’m not 100% on this, but it may also open him back up to being taken as a FS with the Tigers. Although on the face of it that would seem strange...

Very disappointed 😭

Think that opportunity passes once he's overlooked.

Very disappointed

Yes he didn’t nominate. He is now able to be picked up as a FS for Richmond at the end of the year

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

If you're trying to get a job, the last thing you want to sound like is someone bitter towards a former employer.
No argument there but I'm a 'show me' type of guy.

Both he and his father spewed a lot of bile publicly against the club.

If the club comes to a deal with him I'll support him to the hilt.

But until he proves otherwise I am sceptical.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tom Hawkins, McKay and a few others say it's not 100% correct.

They are both mobile and more than adequate in terms of their agility at ground level for their size, so I wouldn't even categorise them as the old style dinosaur KPP.

Hawkins in particular has shed a fair bit of bulk over the years in order to keep up with the changing game.

Last edited:
No argument there but I'm a 'show me' type of guy.

Both he and his father spewed a lot of bile publicly against the club.

If the club comes to a deal with him I'll support him to the hilt.

But until he proves otherwise I am sceptical.

He's also working in the player agent space, would be wise to build as many positive connections as possible. So even if he did have issues with us he may be acting professionally. When he was interviewed the other day he was asked if Collingwood or St.Kilda had spoken with him and said neither had reached out.

When I watch this 2020 highlights package for Tyson Stengle, I see a player with great goal sense and a clear knowledge on how to crumb in a manner that our current list players don't. We desperately need that capability in our team and McCreery and him would make a dangerous 1-2 for pressure. He was doing it in a weak Adelaide team too. (Plus it seems he is a reasonable bet for first goal in a game if you're so inclined. I count 3 in this clip alone!)

I acknowledge his history, but think that he is worth a shot, rather than a 192-193cm undersized key forward when we already have Mihocek, Cox, Kelly, Cameron on our list and DeGoey, Elliott as marking types in our forward line as well.

Pick up Stengle, hope he matures, and stop playing Callum Brown and probably Josh Thomas who simply do not deserve to be offered a game almost every single week simply because of a lack of alternatives. Even JT made an off-field mistake along with Lachie Keefe. Both of those guys seem to have pulled their heads in. Stengle definitely worth a shot and we need to take some educated risks without giving much away, particularly when we've given up our top draft pick for next season to GWS and will consequently empty the cupboard to get Nick Daicos.

I'm one for believing that players can mature at ~22yo in a way that they simply may not be ready for at 18-19 yo.

Hmm I'd thought that Stengle's three major slip ups have all happened in the past 12-13 months while he was approaching or had just turned 22yo, which is the bracket you're saying can mature in a way they weren't ready for earlier in adulthood at 18-19 years of age.

Now I'm not saying that his outcome isn't possible for him, but I'm also mindful that his most recent substance-related indiscretion which resulted in the Crows tearing up a 2 year contract extension was only 6 months ago, so any thoughts around him suddenly turning himself around in that short period of time might perhaps be a bit of a stretch.

Last edited:
He's also working in the player agent space, would be wise to build as many positive connections as possible. So even if he did have issues with us he may be acting professionally. When he was interviewed the other day he was asked if Collingwood or St.Kilda had spoken with him and said neither had reached out.
Actually I don't care if he's working with exclusive access to the pearly gates.

He and his father publicly trashed this club.

As far as I'm concerned he is a proven antagonist.

Remember Beams???

Do you want another round of that?

Hmm I'd thought that Stengle's three major slip ups have all happened in the past 12-13 months while he was approaching or had just turned 22yo, which is the bracket you're saying can mature in a way they weren't ready for earlier in adulthood at 18-19 years of age.

Now I'm not saying that his outcome isn't possible for him, but I'm also mindful that his most recent substance-related indiscretion which resulted in the Crows tearing up a 2 year contract extension was only 6 months ago, so any thoughts around him suddenly turning himself around in that short period of time might perhaps be a bit of a stretch.
On the contary, it can take something exacrtly like that to make the penny drop. Of course it could also take a stint in jail, we are all different. I hope he has changed the mates who he knocked around with, but thats very difficult to do if he's tight with them.

They are both mobile and more than adequate in terms of their agility at ground level for their size, so I wouldn't even categorise them as the old style dinosaur KPP.

Hawkins in particular has shed a fair bit of bulk over the years in order to keep up with the changing game.
New forwards are different how? compared to Dunstall, Ablett, Brereton, Roach, Beasley, Carey, McKernan, Modra, kerhanan Tarrant, etc etc? It's a furphy... Unless you are just using Lockett as your yardstick for an 'old' forward type. Old key forwards weren't lumbering hulks anymore than they are now. In fact I'd say they are taller and less agile now on the whole.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2021 Mid-Season Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Back