2021 Non-Crows AFL Discussion Part 1: we can have lots of fun!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the US we had 63,000 positive cases today and that's considered a good day. One year in, still zero contact tracing and zero travel restrictions. At least 50% of people still refuse to wear masks because they're batshit crazy.

You have no idea how envious people are of Australia.
There's very little point in contact tracing in the USA, where COVID is almost ubiquitous. Contact tracing is good when you have limited outbreaks, and you're trying to contain them. It's no use at all when the virus is literally everywhere.

Failure to wear masks, implement travel restrictions, or have a proper lock down - those are all fair criticisims.

Does Australia want to permanently kill it's international tourism sector?
It is hard to believe the Premiers care. And by the way voters don't seem to care so the Premiers may just be smart, if cynical. They seem to assume that Federally funded programs Job(insert variant) will clean up any mess they create.

It is hard to believe the Premiers care. And by the way voters don't seem to care so the Premiers may just be smart, if cynical. They seem to assume that Federally funded programs Job(insert variant) will clean up any mess they create.
The Premiers definitely care. They're the ones who need to clean up the mess, when Bozo & co invariably shit the bed.

I'd say it's more the CHO's that don't care, as economic issues don't affect their KPI's.

There have been failures associated with COVID across all jurisdictions regardless of the political party in charge.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
But nothing that comes within a million miles of Dan Andrews Victorian total balls ups luckily.

The alternative would be get a bloody wriggle on with the vaccination program and get over it. I'm based in the UK and life is likely going to be 'normal' by July, as 57% of the population have now been vaccinated. Yes the UK has been a total shitshow, but they now understand we need to move through this with agressive vaccination.

COVID is going to be with us forever, likely now, so unless Australia intends to keep it's hotel quarantine program indefinetly and send cities into and out of lockdown non stop, they really need to get the message out that the virus is not going away.
The UK has accelerated their vaccination program because there were hundreds of people dying each day, so they were prepared to pay a premium to get more of the vaccines early. Australia has the luxury of waiting without it costing lives, without having to pay to get more vaccines early, allowing the vaccine to go where it is needed most. Now we are manufacturing the AstraZeneca vaccine locally, the rollout will accelerate, hopefully we can all get it done by the end of the year.
Personally the impact of lockdowns etc have basically not impacted me at all. I take public transport to work, go to Fringe shows, go to the footy, go to the shops. The difference between pre covid life and now is almost zero. I'm quite happy for govts to take whatever measures they deem necessary to keep it that way until we are all vaccinated, they have done as good a job as anyone in the world up till now.

The UK has accelerated their vaccination program because there were hundreds of people dying each day, so they were prepared to pay a premium to get more of the vaccines early. Australia has the luxury of waiting without it costing lives, without having to pay to get more vaccines early, allowing the vaccine to go where it is needed most. Now we are manufacturing the AstraZeneca vaccine locally, the rollout will accelerate, hopefully we can all get it done by the end of the year.
Personally the impact of lockdowns etc have basically not impacted me at all. I take public transport to work, go to Fringe shows, go to the footy, go to the shops. The difference between pre covid life and now is almost zero. I'm quite happy for govts to take whatever measures they deem necessary to keep it that way until we are all vaccinated, they have done as good a job as anyone in the world up till now.
Just thank your lucky stars you aren't/weren't living/working in Victoria, especially metropolitan Melbourne.
The economic/financial hardships are yet to bite for most but as sure as the sun will set in the west tonight it's coming down the track.

LOL

Just keeping his WA underlings under the thumb, no other reason.

Under his thumb? What?

They're the most popular government in Australia. He's just continuing to do what he's always done.

Surely you have been a PS long enough to realise the Party in charge makes little difference in terms of such a logistical project.

Would be the same if the ALP were in charge.

UK are doing it well as the NHS is a world leader in terms of Health Care and logistics.

Not sure I agree. LNP absolutely stuffed up the NBN. This has been a disaster.

I don't remember Labor buggering up something like this. The infrastructure projects that happened around the GFC helped create the level of stimulus that meant we were never affected by it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just thank your lucky stars you aren't/weren't living/working in Victoria, especially metropolitan Melbourne.
The economic/financial hardships are yet to bite for most but as sure as the sun will set in the west tonight it's coming down the track.

Interesting. I'm seeing a LOT of industries that have never been more financially successful.

Tourism has been disasterously hit, but the amount of money being made in real estate and resources at the moment is extraordinary. People not travelling and spending their cash locally has been an absolute boon.

Mark McGowan has put a hard border in place for all of QLD:
https://thewest.com.au/politics/wa-beefs-up-queensland-border-restrictions-c-2465175

Mutineer - your thoughts, given your response when I said that his COVID decision making wouldn't change as a result of the election:

This was liked by edge of reason, jackster83, Slippery Pete, and Crow till I die

My previous statement:

Was also laughed at by Deaneus! and FR0GGY .

Any apologies likely to be forthcoming?

Didn't McGowan say during the campaign that he wanted to keep the borders closed post COVID to keep drugs out of WA?

Does that mean he wouldn't have said that for political gain, but to help support local Meth production for the bikie community who have been suffering enormously during these unprecedented times?

Not sure I agree. LNP absolutely stuffed up the NBN. This has been a disaster.

I don't remember Labor buggering up something like this. The infrastructure projects that happened around the GFC helped create the level of stimulus that meant we were never affected by it.
Didn't the ALP implement tge Home Insulation Program?

What did the Royal Commission find.

Both parties are as bad as each other.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Didn't McGowan say during the campaign that he wanted to keep the borders closed post COVID to keep drugs out of WA?

Does that mean he wouldn't have said that for political gain, but to help support local Meth production for the bikie community who have been suffering enormously during these unprecedented times?
He did say that... and rescinded it about 30 seconds later.

As a bloke who has spent the past year working in a hospital that has been ravaged by covid and now the local government has banned all in door eating, non essential travel, and all indoor gatherings I find it amazing hearing Australian news and people getting the shits about not being able to go to QLD for easter or Rowe harking on about how 75% capacity at Adelaide oval, like it is sort of authoritarian regime stomping down on the little bloke. Australia is in an amazing position and to nit pick now is to miss the point. I understand this is going to hurt the economy and some peoples livelihoods have been ruined. But you have avoided the storm, and this isnt solely because australia is an island it has happened because brilliant professionals have put their necks out. and the economy will bounce back much faster with out dead people and covid suffers being messed up for months and years after infection.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back