Training 2021 Pre-Season Training Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Sholl, Hamill, Ned and Jones all signed extensions before their first contracts ended.

ROB and Berg also.

Go back further, they all did, including Lever. Reckon Gunston was the last to leave at conclusion of first contract. Schoenberg signing isn't a sign of any changes, we've been extending draftees no matter how bad our culture/performance. Same with all other clubs, very few players change club after first contract, it's normally very big news when they do. Anybody trying to read something into it is a fool. It's completely ordinary and speaks to nothing.

That we agree on, unless several "youngsters" cop an injury or stink it up in the pre-season games I don't see Mackay getting selected too often for AFL games.. I think his role will be SANFL on field game day mentoring the youngsters game plan wise/positioning etc.....Essentially an on-field SANFL game day coach. Available for AFL if required only.

I don't really see that in Mackay. He's never been referred to as a leader and his game seems to be based on running patterns. He's not an organiser in the way someone like Talia would be down back and Tex up forward. I think on the track and around the club he would have that value, but on game day he'll be like Thommo, doing his job desperate to for a return to the 1s and the rest will be getting coached by the coaches. Just because a player has played a heap of games does not mean they're automatically an on-field coach.

Just want to add to this. This has been a preseason where in as long as I can remember, I genuinely can’t predict the regular 22 for the Crows AFL. It really does feel like any of the old guards can be flicked if out of form this year, and there is much more young kids to pick from than other years, as a lot have had tastes of the big league in these past couple of years, and if they can continue to improve, then it’s going to be more interesting to see the “ins and outs” this year.
Probably the first time in ages (maybe ever) that the club has actually admitted its rebuilding. Without an expectation of making finals, I hope Nicks can make some moves that set us up long term. If he plays experienced guys like Mackay in some desperate attempt to finish mid-table, he's no better than our previous coach.

Oh of course.

I can see why Jackson was annoyed but he was always getting here.

It's a bit immature to be annoyed. We offered well below his normal trade value because we had PSD as an option. It's us that forced him that way, not GWS. If he's to be annoyed, it should be with us. GWS were always a chance to make a stand on one of their trades, they weren't going to accept unders for ever. I think this was explained quite clearly by a certain poster well before trade week.

Last edited:
Just want to add to this. This has been a preseason where in as long as I can remember, I genuinely can’t predict the regular 22 for the Crows AFL. It really does feel like any of the old guards can be flicked if out of form this year, and there is much more young kids to pick from than other years, as a lot have had tastes of the big league in these past couple of years, and if they can continue to improve, then it’s going to be more interesting to see the “ins and outs” this year.

The only old guard that will be flicked on form are Seedsman, Kelly or Mackay. You're delusional if you think any other player will be dropped on form. We pushed Hartigan out the door but still played him to the end despite finishing bottom and having developing KPDs in McCasey and Butts sitting idle. The reason you can't pick a regular 22 is because there's a heap of kids vying for spots, nothing to do with the old guard not being locked in.

To be fair, if this player is a midfielder it wouldn't take much for VB to be his best coach

Commenting on VB's influence on the Eagle's flag is a bit of a stretch too. I think VB was always mentioned as a future coach and there's not much doubt he'd make good coin outside the footy industry. I've no doubt he's quality but the Neil Craig philosophy of just working harder at doing the same things worries me. But he's only 1 of a few and it's a reasonable component of a good coaching system. But it can't be the key driver like it was with Neil and I've no reason to expect it will be with our group. Our group looks good on paper, hopefully in practice as well. Selection remains a concern, hopefully we don't revert to old habits when under pressure like we always have.

The only old guard that will be flicked on form are Seedsman, Kelly or Mackay. You're delusional if you think any other player will be dropped on form. We pushed Hartigan out the door but still played him to the end despite finishing bottom and having developing KPDs in McCasey and Butts sitting idle. The reason you can't pick a regular 22 is because there's a heap of kids vying for spots, nothing to do with the old guard not being locked in.
Well if a heap of kids are vying for spots and they’re showing plenty this year, wouldn’t that increase the probability of a veteran being flicked back to the SANFL if out of form?

Last year a lot of the kids already have had tastes of the AFL, and we know they are capable. Previous few years, we hardly saw any of the young kids being played, and if played, they haven’t been able to show much eg. Polhoke, Wilson.

Also, DMac on a rookie list suggests he’s no certainty to be a regular 22 this year. Which it can be assumed, all the veterans are given notice to perform better or else (omissions).

Well if a heap of kids are vying for spots and they’re showing plenty this year, wouldn’t that increase the probability of a veteran being flicked back to the SANFL if out of form?

Last year a lot of the kids already have had tastes of the AFL, and we know they are capable. Previous few years, we hardly saw any of the young kids being played, and if played, they haven’t been able to show much eg. Polhoke, Wilson.

Also, DMac on a rookie list suggests he’s no certainty to be a regular 22 this year. Which it can be assumed, all the veterans are given notice to perform better or else (omissions).

No it won't. The old guard are locked in. The kids will fight for the remaining spots.

Taylor was worse, nobody in the AFL was going to tolerate domestic violence and nor should they.

This is Tyson's 5th season in the big time, it's gotta click soon.
100% correct, papers stamped & won't get back

Stengle suffers from being a product of his environment .....not always easily resolved

100% correct, papers stamped & won't get back

Stengle suffers from being a product of his environment .....not always easily resolved
Correct.

These guys were his mates growing up before he was drafted, and he's stayed loyal to them probably to his detriment.

Doing coke is a serious lack of commitment

The club spend an enormous amount of time, money and resources educating players on getting their bodies strong, healthy and fit for an AFL season and career.

This includes not just the actual fitness work but diet, nutrition, rest, sleep, recovery, and alcohol and drug training

Stengles continue drug and alcohol breaches is a lack of commitment to his team, club and career.

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Well, if you moved on every Crow who does coke in the offseason, half the list would be gone.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Appears we've hired Reece Homfray, formerly from The Advertiser as Communications Coordinator.

Well the guy wasn’t afraid to jump on a bandwagon and help slag the club off over the last few years with his fellow Murdoch employed mates from Victoria so the club obviously didn’t hold that against him.

At the risk of bringing this thread back on track, Matty Crouch looking pretty ripped at the moment.

View attachment 1042350

Speaking of players returning in excellent condition not enough has been made of how good a condition Shane McAdam looks to have returned in from Halls Creek

Well the guy wasn’t afraid to jump on a bandwagon and help slag the club off over the last few years with his fellow Murdoch employed mates from Victoria so the club obviously didn’t hold that against him.

Speaking of players returning in excellent condition not enough has been made of how good a condition Shane McAdam looks to have returned in from Halls Creek

Yeah, shane-o-mac looks in amazing condition. Hopefully he can build on his 2020 season and start ripping up the competition

On SM-G986B using BigFooty.com mobile app

A few of our boys look to be in ripping shape. Makes you wonder whether Hass is actually incompetent. Guess we'll see soon enough. We need actual games to sample from under the new regime because, as the Sando era taught us, having a ripped side doesn't mean jack shit if your players aren't able to cover the ground well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Training 2021 Pre-Season Training Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back