Training 2021 Pre Season training watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Cousins is depth in a position we need.

He's young, he can play a role. He knows the game plan

I'm hopeful we see a completely different game plan in 2021 personally, because whatever it was in 2020 was putrid.

Anyways when we back in Pre season training ?

I'm hopeful we see a completely different game plan in 2021 personally, because whatever it was in 2020 was putrid.

Anyways when we back in Pre season training ?
He was attacking and spreading well in the back half of the season when he got games.

That was something missing earlier from our midfield.

We've not had the right mix in there and our mids haven't been able to dictate to other teams. Makes any game plan hard to execute when you're getting beaten consistently in the middle.

My point was more he knows his team mates and where to run to.

Any time you throw new players in they take time to gel, he has showed he can come in an help

I think we undersell just how difficult Australian Rules Football is. I doubt there is a game in the world that requires the same level of Aerobic fitness, strength, skill, bravery and game sense.

It's the extreme cardio/fitness that sets Aussie Rules apart. I think ice hockey rivals footy in the skill/bravery/toughness mix, but nothing comes close to footy's elite cardio requirements. Footy's never ending challenge with osteitis pubis (and the AFL's world leading work at managing training loads just below pubic overload - along with soft tissue maintenance) best demonstrates footy living on the elite fitness edge.

What are people's thoughts on Dylan Moore.
Was close to BOG Vs Gold Coast and took the game on.
Thoughts?
He is my new favourite. I recon this kid can football and will get a good look at it this season.
Skill and knowledge of the game aside; if he could get a bit mean/tough in the contest, unsociable, he will get a cult following.
If he can establish a Caleb Danial type role for himself but defend better he will be a big factor in September action

It's the extreme cardio/fitness that sets Aussie Rules apart. I think ice hockey rivals footy in the skill/bravery/toughness mix, but nothing comes close to footy's elite cardio requirements. Footy's never ending challenge with osteitis pubis (and the AFL's world leading work at managing training loads just below pubic overload - along with soft tissue maintenance) best demonstrates footy living on the elite fitness edge.

I struggle to become passionate about other sports simply due to a lifetime of being in awe at the demands met by my heroes just to pull on the jumper every Saturday and kick the Sherrin around.

As somebody who has been coached by an AFL legend in country footy, the demands placed on us as part time players was high enough to gain even more respect for what is expected at the top level.

There is a unique sense of pride following the completion of a full game when you absolutely know you've left everything out on the park. It's no surprise that recovery, training loads, nutrition etc have all become their own full time job within football clubs.

To complete 12-13km on average (most at full pace) in 120 minutes whilst also jumping, tackling, changing direction, chasing, executing skills by hand and foot and talking the whole time requires more endurance and heart than any ball sport on the planet in my opinion.

Sam Mitchell mentioned something interesting about his footy. He did one or 2 seasons (in the preseason... Not sure) of pretty intense sprint training. It helped him a fair bit he reckons.
I wonder if he's encouraged guys like Cuz to do likewise.
Maybe someone here knows??

Sam Mitchell mentioned something interesting about his footy. He did one or 2 seasons (in the preseason... Not sure) of pretty intense sprint training. It helped him a fair bit he reckons.
I wonder if he's encouraged guys like Cuz to do likewise.
Maybe someone here knows??

I reckon our S&C guys know a thing or two about fitness. Maybe he's asked them?

Anyone else here see Sammy Mitchell's Box Hill coaching gig as a big positive in the development of our group ?? Or am I just being too optimistic....?
The real coup is getting in Andy Collins as the Senior Assistant. A positive for Sammy and a positive for the playing group.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Potential Sewell type.
Cuz provides solid midfield rotation. Our current mids can't go flat out for the entire game. Plus he has a knack of kicking a goal and/or assists.

As a big fan of what Cousins did last year, I disagree a bit with the Sewell/Shiels comparisons. Their talents skew defensive, while Cousins' strengths skew attacking. He's not a great defensive mid, he doesn't have the body or mindset for it.

I see him more as an inside/outside, second possession, good metres gained and inside 50 type type.

I think Z Merrett or Hunter are good targets to aim at, even if he's a fair way off that ATM.

As a big fan of what Cousins did last year, I disagree a bit with the Sewell/Shiels comparisons. Their talents skew defensive, while Cousins' strengths skew attacking. He's not a great defensive mid, he doesn't have the body or mindset for it.

I see him more as an inside/outside, second possession, good metres gained and inside 50 type type.

I think Z Merrett or Hunter are good targets to aim at, even if he's a fair way off that ATM.
Cuz lacks the polish of Merrett, but he's a ball winner and takes ground. I like him. Reckon he can make it.

All players are back for the first day of training but can only train in groups of a maximum of 10 players with one close contact coach. Have split into 4 main groups doing gym, mats (wrestling, grappling etc), running and ball work. Means only a limited number of players are on the field at any one time so no major training report available. Will be like this for the next week at least while the returning interstate players for West Coast and Fremantle are in quarantine and can only train in small groups.

TOB and Pepper both back in full training, having been restricted prior to Xmas.

First impressions: Waverley is cold.

small groups out on the field, not doing anything too exciting early on. Half the squad remained upstairs. The guys out on the park were in two groups, one group in front of the stands and the other on the far side. As a result I watched the group closest to Kanga a lot more.

A few handball/clearance drills. Some contested ball to a clearance down the line drills. These would only run for a few minutes then change into another set up.

Players out there that I took special interest in were Phillips, DGB, Brockman, T.Mitchell(doing his own program away from others), Lewis, Finn, Worps and Jars(who always says g’day).
Finn and Lewis both looking in very good nick.
DGB blew up a bit after running laps with Cegs later in the day, but he was still all smiles at the end of the session.
Lewis playing deep forward in drills that called for it, with Brockman at his feet.

There were some spread drills and some clearance drills on the flanks that aimed get quick forward entries.
In the spread drills the directive was to get to space and turn quickly and directly towards the goals.

wasn’t a great deal to be taken from many of the drills with such small groups, and eldo and I had a good yak, but if anyone has any questions I might be able to answer.

small groups out on the field, not doing anything too exciting early on. Half the squad remained upstairs. The guys out on the park were in two groups, one group in front of the stands and the other on the far side. As a result I watched the group closest to Kanga a lot more.

A few handball/clearance drills. Some contested ball to a clearance down the line drills. These would only run for a few minutes then change into another set up.

Players out there that I took special interest in were Phillips, DGB, Brockman, T.Mitchell(doing his own program away from others), Lewis, Finn, Worps and Jars(who always says g’day).
DGB blew up a bit after running laps with Cegs later in the day, but he was still all smiles at the end of the session.
Lewis playing deep forward in drills that called for it, with Brockman at his feet.

There were some spread drills and some clearance drills on the flanks that aimed get quick forward entries.
In the spread drills the directive was to get to space and turn quickly and directly towards the goals.

wasn’t a great deal to be taken from many of the drills with such small groups, and eldo and I had a good yak, but if anyone has any questions I might be able to answer.
How did “dik-piks“ look?

Thanks!

Who were the coaches running the session?

Remove this Banner Ad

Training 2021 Pre Season training watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Back