Training 2021 Pre Season training watch

Remove this Banner Ad

So Tom Mitchell played all of last season with a cooked shoulder and a still recovering leg injury and was still played every game at a good level... Tomm y remains to be extremely underrated outside of this club.
He is one tough bastard and i will be very surprised if he doesnt line up rnd 1

Morrison seems to have a half decent vert on him in the video the sm team posted (would love it if we got something like that from them every session in the pre-season).
Reeves looked pretty big- give him the same arms as Big Boy and he'll be a scary sight.
Can anyone with an elite level understanding of weight/s&c training for AFL/professional sport explain why AFL players never seem to throw around big weights at the gym?

Morrison seems to have a half decent vert on him in the video the sm team posted (would love it if we got something like that from them every session in the pre-season).
Reeves looked pretty big- give him the same arms as Big Boy and he'll be a scary sight.
Can anyone with an elite level understanding of weight/s&c training for AFL/professional sport explain why AFL players never seem to throw around big weights at the gym?

Functional mobility would be my guess. I'm only a qualified Personal trainer with no further training in strength/conditioning so can't jump too deeply into it sorry.

I'd suggest there are strength sessions where players do go for max weight (perhaps only aiming for 4-6 reps). However due to the heavy cardio and mobility demands of AFL it's far better to have muscular endurance. Training focusing on helping fast twitch muscle fibres to respond quickly in high stress situations is more far conducive in a sport where you run upwards of 14km a game at high speeds.

I'm sure there is somebody who can explain it far better than I can, but I think this at least partly covers it at an entry level.

Because most of them are not power athletes.
Repeat efforts are much more important than a high 1 rep max.
Some players will develop power more readily than others though - see Dangerfield, Croad and others.

So Tom Mitchell played all of last season with a cooked shoulder and a still recovering leg injury and still played every game at a good level... Tommy remains to be extremely underrated outside of this club.
A Swans's supporting mate of mine is still pissed he's not at club anymore.

Harley Bennell.
Not saying anything.

Every time you compare a new player to another player...a fairy dies.
GcYi3s.gif

Training will begin shortly @ Waverley Park.

Line marking and the mowing of the grass being done before the players hit the track.

Players in the first training group will probably include JOM, Keegan Brooksby & I thought of calling him "Chris Noth" from "Sex in the City"...seems appropriate as his character is called "Big" but found CN is only 187cm tall where as "Dick" is 10cm taller...

Attachments

• Wav Park line mark & grass mowing.JPG
    Wav Park line mark & grass mowing.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 155
A Swans's supporting mate of mine is still pissed he's not at club anymore.
It's highly unlikely he's as pi55ed as I've been for more than a decade about our terrible assessment of Josh Kennedy. Having watched Joey playing for the BHH, he was a mobile powerful inside midfielder who kept his feet. He quickly adjusted to the pace in the VFL and distributed the ball to advantage by hand. He averaged 18 possessions in his 13 AFL games and was improving in all aspects of his game. He would have stayed if he was offered an additional year on the proposed contract. OUCH!!! It still hurts, he's been an absolute star for the Swans and to my eyes it was inevitable.

It's highly unlikely he's as pi55ed as I've been for more than a decade about our terrible assessment of Josh Kennedy. Having watched Joey playing for the BHH, he was a mobile powerful inside midfielder who kept his feet. He quickly adjusted to the pace in the VFL and distributed the ball to advantage by hand. He averaged 18 possessions in his 13 AFL games and was improving in all aspects of his game. He would have stayed if he was offered an additional year on the proposed contract. OUCH!!! It still hurts, he's been an absolute star for the Swans and to my eyes it was inevitable.
Having that lineage To the club he had was also extremely disappointing that we didn’t keep him.
Hindsight is a wonderful thing!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A big "Thank You" to all of you who post training reports in this forum. I love reading them and, at this time of the year especially, I look forward to each and every training report in anticipation.

As someone who has never lived in or near Melbourne I have never attended a HFC training session, so any snippets of information provided are much appreciated. Keep them coming please!
Totally agree. As an interstate member and supporter for over 55 years I just love preseason reports from whoever attends training. We can work out who are the better informed, who reports from the heart or what they see in front of them etc. All reports are appreciated.

Mate its an anonymous forum. If SYL chooses too sook over the post and never post again about a training session because of a random post he is soft. Its a lone post in the wllderness of crap that abounds in cyberspace today. Lighten up.
I don't give a **** about how 'hard' or 'soft' someone is on a Forum - what a ****ing dumb place to make that assessment...

Of course this thread is meaningless in the big picture of cyberspace... but it fulfils the exact purpose of what I come here for, i.e. specifically for peoples insights into pre-season training, which I can't get myself. Some people jeopardising that, without adding any alternative value infuriates me. I'd prefer it if they didn't bother posting in the thread.

How did Brockman look at his feet is he more Poppy or more Cyril in the way he plays. Do you feel we have something special with what you saw.

Also how did Jeka go I’m hoping Patton can’t get a game because of him. We need to have the twin towers of Lewis and Jeka play together as much as possible this years as it’s our future if they think Jeka can make it.

Haven’t seen enough of Brockman yet to get a real clear player comparison. The one area he takes after Cyril is the family name tattoo across his back. Has a big “Brockman” going from one shoulder to the other across his back. Impressive.

Haven’t seen enough of Brockman yet to get a real clear player comparison. The one area he takes after Cyril is the family name tattoo across his back. Has a big “Brockman” going from one shoulder to the other across his back. Impressive.

Dutchy16 just compared Brockman to Rioli - awesome :)

So Tom Mitchell played all of last season with a cooked shoulder and a still recovering leg injury and still played every game at a good level... Tommy remains to be extremely underrated outside of this club.
So Tom Mitchell played all last season with a shoulder injury and didn't have surgery until the end of the season and may not be fit for round 1.

Surely the questions have to be asked? What on earth was our club doing with him and Gunston (who has some pain relief to get through games with a bad back).

Piss poor management.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

We will have to disagree on that. I know what the club thinks in that regard and it has shifted blame on the hub situation. But IMO the hubs didn't contribute to the poor coaching and game plan, etc.

It's just an excuse that I'm not buying until proven otherwise. So if the club comes out and shoots up the ladder next season, whilst playing the same dour style, then I'll have been wrong.
You'll have been wrong anyway.

I don't give a fu** about how 'hard' or 'soft' someone is on a Forum - what a ******* dumb place to make that assessment...

Of course this thread is meaningless in the big picture of cyberspace... but it fulfils the exact purpose of what I come here for, i.e. specifically for peoples insights into pre-season training, which I can't get myself. Some people jeopardising that, without adding any alternative value infuriates me. I'd prefer it if they didn't bother posting in the thread.
My point was why get so worked up about it. If you look at the welcome to Hawthorn Tyler Brockman thread some moron made the Cyril comparison in the first two pages. Stupid maybe but fun none the less. Rev can have his opinion.

Jeez Jeka is looking good. I hope we get to see a lot of these two lads this year!

View attachment 1037681

Unless Patton is suspended, I can’t see Jeka playing at AFL level this year. Especially when you consider there being no VFL season last year. I hope I’m wrong and we get to see him make his debut at some point this year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Training 2021 Pre Season training watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Back