Training 2021 - Preseason Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Funny thing with 33. It got me thinking - I do not believe Ainsworth is in our best 33.

Can anyone seriously name 10 players less promising that Mr 33?

Here is my attempt at the players I think Ainsworth is ahead of (for now at least):-

Foley (I see him as bolt in Mr 42, dear in the headlines and all that stuff)
Johnson (only in his second year so possibly a bit tough and expect him ahead by the end 2021)
L. Edwards (new boy so not expected in preseason and expect him ahead by the end 2021)
Winder (new boy so not expected in preseason and expect him ahead by the end 2021)
Cameron (the version we saw in 2020 but his 2019 was way ahead of Mr 33)
Venables (only if he cannot get back on the park)
Rioli (only because WADA won't let him play)
Not a very telling exercise when you consider that players get picked for certain roles. He could be the worst player on the list but if we have lots of midfield injuries, he ends up getting picked. Harry Edwards isn't going to line up on a wing or take on a tagging role.

I'm more than happy for us to try some of the newcomer mids instead of Ainsworth, but it's when people start trying to fit a square peg in a round hole (e.g. Brander) that I get annoyed.

Funny thing with 33. It got me thinking - I do not believe Ainsworth is in our best 33.

Can anyone seriously name 10 players less promising that Mr 33?

Here is my attempt at the players I think Ainsworth is ahead of (for now at least):-

Foley (I see him as bolt in Mr 42, dear in the headlines and all that stuff)
Johnson (only in his second year so possibly a bit tough and expect him ahead by the end 2021)
L. Edwards (new boy so not expected in preseason and expect him ahead by the end 2021)
Winder (new boy so not expected in preseason and expect him ahead by the end 2021)
Cameron (the version we saw in 2020 but his 2019 was way ahead of Mr 33)
Venables (only if he cannot get back on the park)
Rioli (only because WADA won't let him play)

Its a question of WHERE as well as IF these guys fit.

Ainsworth simply doesnt get enough ball.

Yes. And may it continue with a modicum of respect for the kid.
Totally agree about Brains...!

What a dilemma ...to many tall KPP's. How will we keep them all on the farm?
As Shep said - " We've got a lot of depth in each position so it's going to be who's in form at the time to be in our best 22."
We could see more player rotations between games if the upward pressure is good enough?
Kelly looks to have muscled up a bit..
Can't wait to see Le Mullet' do his thing in the guts.
Many players to look forward to this season, discounting the whole covid circus.
Was expecting NN to drop some kegs not gain some - officially the human wrecking ball now,
hope he doesn't wreck himself?
But we have that covered it seems...

Last edited:
I'm all for hoping Ainsworth turns a corner and becomes an effective player for us. Hell, I barracked my arse off for Simon Tunbridge and Fraser McInnes to come good.

You can simultaneously wish the kid well whilst being sceptical he will make the grade. Derogatory nicknames aside of course.

As Fatty rules said ' Yes. And may it continue with a modicum of respect for the kid. "

Totally agree...!

Now I will be the first to admit, that I am an old fart and some of my boomer attitudes may have long been replaced with a more contemporary popular train of though .... BUT.

To me respect is something that is earn't and not something that is demanded.

Now I get the spirit in which the original respect comment was made, but that also doesn't exonerate him for being " called on his shit" .

I will gladly praise the kid when he does well, but I also reserve the right to point out his shortcomings.

Not sure if it's his development thats been stifled by the coaching he is getting, but I think its fair to say that, his first season was encouraging, after which he has been underwhelming.

Like I have said in previous posts, I hope the kid can ramp it up several notches this season and announce himself, as an emerging player.
That would please me no end.

Harry Edwards excites me a lot. Like I was super impressed by what I saw in 2019 for the BEAGLES. He read the play so well and was peeling off and taking big interecpt marks from game one and didn't look like a recent addition to WAFL footy. Then you also have the a bloke who is 200cm that is so mobile and agile as well. Oh and and he a very nice user of the ball by foot as well.

Reminds me of Harris Andrews a bit

Harry Edwards excites me a lot. Like I was super impressed by what I saw in 2019 for the BEAGLES. He read the play so well and was peeling off and taking big interecpt marks from game one and didn't look like a recent addition to WAFL footy. Then you also have the a bloke who is 200cm that is so mobile and agile as well. Oh and and he a very nice user of the ball by foot as well.

Similar to Barrass development who showed enough during his first two years of development to playing almost full time in his third. Both players no one heard of and had growth spurts.
If true that H.Edwards is now in that 200-201cm range, he becomes a genuine option for that secondary ruck role, which presents an interesting selection dilemma.

Duggan still being deployed in the midfield - looks certain now that is where he will be doing most of his work this year.

Intraclub match planned for Friday.

Does it make selection an issue with Barrass and Gov in the future? We could do with a decent KPD that can nullify gorillas.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As Fatty rules said ' Yes. And may it continue with a modicum of respect for the kid. "

Now I will be the first to admit, that I am an old fart and some of my boomer attitudes may have long been replaced with a more contemporary popular train of though .... BUT.

To me respect is something that is earn't and not something that is demanded.

Now I get the spirit in which the original respect comment was made, but that also doesn't exonerate him for being " called on his sh*t" .

I will gladly praise the kid when he does well, but I also reserve the right to point out his shortcomings.

Not sure if it's his development thats been stifled by the coaching he is getting, but I think its fair to say that, his first season was encouraging, after which he has been underwhelming.

Like I have said in previous posts, I hope the kid can ramp it up several notches this season and announce himself, as an emerging player.
That would please me no end.
The previous poster did say " a modicum of respect.."
and his shortcomings have been discussed ad infinitum this offseason, it gets tiresome whether you like him or not..
Apart from that, I'm staying out of the Brains debate...well, try to. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Similar to Barrass development who showed enough during his first two years of development to playing almost full time in his third. Both players no one heard of and had growth spurts.
Probably just ahead of TB as he played AFL last season and could have added a couple more

Probably just ahead of TB as he played AFL last season and could have added a couple more

Barrass played 3 games in his second season (2015) then 10 in 2016 before becoming a permanent feature of our defence when not injure from 2017 onwards - 19,19,14 and 18 games for a total of 83

Turns 26 this year so should be hitting his prime

Last edited:
No sh*t. I thought TB was a 2012 draftee for a moment. Who was the tall from 2012 then?

Callum Sinclair in the rookie draft was the only tall unless you want to count intangibles as a tall

So many tall defenders atm butI personally don't see Josh at a key tall tbf. I reckon we'd struggle seriously if Josh had to cover for one of Gov or TB. I like Josh but I hope he is our answer to the the hybrid forwards like a De Goey or the resting big bodied mid. Brander is the one I'm worried about tbf

Barrass needs to sort out his one on one defence or he could easily lose his spot to one of the up and commers in the next few seasons. He can play the intercept role well but that is clearly Gov's.

When on form is great at shutting players down (see his first half in GF against Cox) but seems to have lost his mojo since 2019. Goes through patches where he bizarrely gets the right position but miss times his leap or sometimes the swing of his arm to spoil. Then will snap back into it and play a couple of great games. Has been shocking in the back end of both 2019 and 2020 (arguably lost us that final last year in 5 mins against Cox).

Barrass needs to sort out his one on one defence or he could easily lose his spot to one of the up and commers in the next few seasons. He can play the intercept role well but that is clearly Gov's.

When on form is great at shutting players down (see his first half in GF against Cox) but seems to have lost his mojo since 2019. Goes through patches where he bizarrely gets the right position but miss times his leap or sometimes the swing of his arm to spoil. Then will snap back into it and play a couple of great games. Has been shocking in the back end of both 2019 and 2020 (arguably lost us that final last year in 5 mins against Cox).

Finished 4th in the B&F so whatever anybody’s thoughts on his performances it’s pretty clear the MC are happy with how he’s going

So many players to get excited about, Jones is flying, Venables possible return, O’Neill searching for a spot in the 22, Edwards getting bigger better, Brander trying to nail a spot, Williams looking for a starting 22 role, new mature recruits add speed and elite kicking skills, recruited 3 young mids, they’ll all be trying to stake their claims, Allen will start to dominate, a possible Willie return?
Plus our usual host of stars.
Bring on 2021

Finished 4th in the B&F so whatever anybody’s thoughts on his performances it’s pretty clear the MC are happy with how he’s going
Our only true tall (sorry Jack) to play every game, too. Which is good given he usually misses multiple games each season. Shortened season notwithstanding.

Of course, that helps him in the B+F but it's not like he was an outlier on games played. He had plenty of competition (11 missed 1 game or less).

Looking at games played, I see that Ah Chee played 16 of 18 games for the season. That staggers me. I could've sworn he played maybe half that number.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back