25. Dean Kent - Link
39. Darragh Joyce - Link
41. Paul Hunter - Link

To see the full list (it gets updated regularly) visit this thread;

Restricted and Unrestricted Free Agency Window
Friday October 1 – Friday October 8

Trade Period
Players: Monday October 4 – Wednesday October 13
Picks: Monday October 4 – tbc (approx. Friday November 19)

List Lodgement 1
tbc (approx. Thursday October 28)

Delisted Free Agency Window 1
tbc (approx. Friday October 29 - Monday November 8)

List Lodgement 2 (Final date for primary list delistings)
tbc (approx. Tuesday November 9)

Delisted Free Agency Window 2
tbc (approx. Wednesday November 10 - Friday November 19)

Last edited by a moderator:
I think a side like Melbourne are a good blueprint for us for looking at what you need to become a really good side.

I think Melbourne have four elite players (Gawn, Oliver, Petracca, May), supported this year by a system that allows other players to play to their potential.

I think the important thing for us is the elite players. At the moment we have one player that fits that category in Steele. We need to find three more elite players. If we have those players leading our team, other players will improve. I have no doubt we have the bones of a very good football team - in a good side, watch guys like Crouch, Jones, Wilkie, Membrey, Higgins excel. We have a lot of good players on our list.

The question is these three more elite guys that we need to find. The first obvious one is King. Then we need two more. Are they players on the list already? Are they players we hope to trade in, or are they players we hope to draft?

It is very, very hard to trade for this level of player, although there are some that have happened recently eg May, Cameron, Dangerfield, Neale. I think if we want to go for Parker it's because we think he can give us two years at the elite level, lifting us up to a top four team.

The others on the list that could be it are Marshall, Clark, Coffield (some will scoff but he has the tools in my opinion) and Gresham. Clark and Coff are high-level draft picks that haven't reached their peak yet. Gresham hasn't because of injury. Marshall has shown signs that he can be elite. Relying on them to make that jump though is a risk.

This is an important draft for us. We'll hopefully pick up a gun first round pick and get some good value NGA kids. Then in a few years one of those players at least can hopefully be a gun. But in the meantime, I wouldn't mind us grabbing an older guy that can instantly be top level and it just takes a little bit of pressure off our current kids to make that jump.

The players that I'd look at are either Parker or Guthrie because they don't cost draft picks.

When I look at our list I think it's a myth that we are old. In fact, in some ways we are too young and lack experience. We will most likely take at least three 18 year olds at this years draft, and we will have quite a young list again by the start of next year.

I don't think we should be averse to picking up an older player for that reason. We are too many elite players short of really competing right now, but get one in through free agency, then if King and/or Marshall, Clark, Gresh or a surprise packet make a big leap next year, we are suddenly pushing top four. Then we develop the current crop of youngsters whilst still competing now.

While I nearly puked at your suggestion that we emulate Melbourne, you’re on the money about four elite players. Richmond only had four elite players, and I agree that we need to find a few, with King likely to elevate into that class soon.

The curious thing is that I suspect that you can only have about four elite players without weakening the depth of your list. If you consider GWS around 2019 they had so much SC tied up in their top end that their 17-22 was weaker than the oppo, which gets found out come finals time. And the issue is compounded if a club considers players to be elite, and pays them as elite, but the don’t perform at the elite level - Collingwood being the classic example of this.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Joe kicked 46 goals for season so that's a pretty good return for a key forward.

His problem (and the Lions problem last night) was that expecting him to stand up and dominate as the sole tall after Hipwood and McStay went down is unrealistic.

Same applies to Naughton once Bruce did his knee.

That’s what separates the King’s from the rest I’d say. Both of them are standing up pretty much on their own as a tall forward.
McKay the only other one I can think of who has done that well.

Except they also have an elite intercept marking CHB.
Their Fullback probably shades Howard aswell.
Infact their entire back 6 is probably a level or 2 above their counterparts for us.
If Coff can get back to his 2020 form, we have an elite interceptor there.

Point is, having a deep midfield isnt the only way to be a contending team. We dont need to pass on Bing or another tall just because some of the top teams have much deeper midfield. We can build a team with different strengths and still challenge at the end of the season like Port - who dont have a deep midfield - have.

I think GC are into Dixon and Parker. I think there's a bit of good will in trying to make sure GC get the help they need, which can give them immediate impact. Which might be handy when we ask for good will in Bing coming home to his family.

GC could do with Dunstan as a rookie TBH

I think there's a fair bit of trying to keep the AFL happy in it.

Gold Coast’s salary cap is already maxed out. If they bring in those players then they will have to either:

1. Trade players out, or
2. Have their players accept pay cuts

This trade period might be more unpredictable than we think.

Stewart66 is the huge wraps on Chesser and gets very good info.

the poor bastard isn’t even on here anymore however.

That’s a shame. He used to give us very good info on practice games etc. I don’t think anyone ever gave him a hard time that I remember.

Gold Coast’s salary cap is already maxed out. If they bring in those players then they will have to either:

1. Trade players out, or
2. Have their players accept pay cuts

This trade period might be more unpredictable than we think.

Guys like Brodie would be free as a salary dump.

He's meant to be on pretty good coin for next season.

They paid that generation huge money to keep them like 2MP as well. Now they need a few gone even if they have to get nothing back.

The problem is we NEED a KPD. As we don't really have anything to trade with we've got to look through the bin again.

It's not really a problem because we've lost Jake, Chip and Robbo, plus Brownie last year and having kids only is poor policy.
What do you think Port would want for Tom Clurey? Is contracted for another 2 years
Outside of there best-22 and excess to their needs with Jonas, Aliir and McKenzie. Also have Lienhert & some young bloke Pasini.
Would a future 2nd get it done? Could send them Clav if that helps not that I am sure why they would want him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

SEB ROSS

Morris reported last month that Ross is weighing up his future after being underwhelmed with St Kilda’s two-year offer that includes a trigger for a third season.

If Ross does opt to explore his options, he’ll be one of several uncontracted inside midfielders on the hunt for new homes including Luke Dunstan and Will Brodie.

“(Ross) Wants more than two years with a trigger for a third. There’s not a lot of interest for him at the moment,” Morris said.

JACK BILLINGS

Morris also reported last month that Billings is weighing up signing a four-year extension from the Saints on reduced money to his current contract, naming Port Adelaide as a potential suitor if he decided to test the market.

Billings is coming off an indifferent 2021 season, averaging 20 disposals per game – his worse return since his debut season when scaling numbers from 2020’s shortened games – before a hamstring injury prematurely ended his campaign.

Alas, the 26-year old is expected to remain at Moorabbin.

“We think Jack Billings will stay on a four-year deal at the Saints,” Morris said.

[PLAYERCARD]Jack Billings[/PLAYERCARD] and Seb Ross remain without deals for 2022 (Picture: Michael Klein)

The way our recruiters are going we might recruit the son of god with the first round pick , the way they have been selecting guys like Sharman a reserve grade player in Sth Australia who has shown in a handful of games he could turn into George Young on steroids, Highmore pick 45 looking like a rebounding defender like no other , Connolly pick 64 who would of thought he would of even of got a game and when he did put a few players in the shade with his dashing run to take on the game and he can kick , Byrne pick 52 is just a ball pig , Bytel pick 41 has now gone from a skinny kid with a dodgy back into a big bodied midfielder ready to take the next step.

We don't have the draft picks but somehow they have drafted and developed these kids to be players.
People who have questioned our development of players only have to look at these kids - King only with 30 games under his belt looks to be a freak and I fully expect Hunter Clark and Coffield are ready to step up to the plate after transforming from boys to men - you kind of know when you recruit a 21yr in Sharman and a 23yr in Highmore that some times you just need these kids to mature a bit.
Coffield is only 8mths older than Sharman.

Who knows they may of found a way of turning s//t to gold.

God help us what Heath and Allison turn into a Gary Dempsey and Peter Knights.

What got me is how they resurrected McKenzie and Dunstan , it was like it was Easter.

If they resurrect Clavarino they maybe be able to walk on water.
And the funny part is that people on here said the Saints could not develop players. From your comments , it looks like they can.

I’m +1 on the Talia bandwagon if we can’t trade in a longer term young KPD (like Dougie, except not necessarily as high quality). But, if we can’t, I hope the club considers dropping the Battle experiment on the wing, and they can switch him with Coffield.

Battle has showed the most in defence, as much as I like him as a forward, and can hold down a defensive post better than Coffield. Plus, I’d rather Coff be given a chance on the wing, given his powerful first few strides, penetrating kick, and marking. A wingman who can mark like Coff is quite an underrated asset IMO

And the funny part is that people on here said the Saints could not develop players. From your comments , it looks like they can.
Maybe we couldn’t prior to 2020???

I’m +1 on the Talia bandwagon if we can’t trade in a longer term young KPD (like Dougie, except not necessarily as high quality). But, if we can’t, I hope the club considers dropping the Battle experiment on the wing, and they can switch him with Coffield.

Battle has showed the most in defence, as much as I like him as a forward, and can hold down a defensive post better than Coffield. Plus, I’d rather Coff be given a chance on the wing, given his powerful first few strides, penetrating kick, and marking. A wingman who can mark like Coff is quite an underrated asset IMO

This x 1000000

Agree , I feel Coffield like Clark were given roles on the halfback flank to just get a feel for the game - both were drafted as future mid's not flanker's , however due to Coffield's good season last year people think that's his position but I really feel he is a midfielder and as you say a wing would most probably be perfect for him.

Agree , I feel Coffield like Clark were given roles on the halfback flank to just get a feel for the game - both were drafted as future mid's not flanker's , however due to Coffield's good season last year people think that's his position but I really feel he is a midfielder and as you say a wing would most probably be perfect for him.
I don't think it is the best role for him. His intercept marking has been his biggest strength as a player so far. Wingers rarely get the chance to take many intercept marks. They are generally either lateral or close to the stoppage, neither of which are conducive to reading the play and intercepting. The wing role is more suitable to someone with a good engine who can cover the ground well. It's also an important role in terms of defensive positioning.

That's not to say that he couldn't do well on a wing, but I don't think it's a priority to try it out. Clark on the other hand, we really need to integrate into the midfield.

End of season 2022 Bing packs his bags for the last time and informs his teammates that he won't be back.

His manager informs the Suns he wants to be traded to Stkilda (as if they didn't already know) and that he won't be entertaining any other club.

Saints table 2x FRDP but the Suns want that and a best 22 player. Leathers tells them to EAD.
They settle on a non best 22 player, possibly Battle or Allison, and Saints get a 2nd round pick back.

Instead of using those picks to acquire 2 mature quality players, the Suns hit the draft again taking a West Australian and 2 Victorians. The tragedy rolls on.

The Suns decide they want Max in trade, the Saints do it , straight swap....then both clubs and all of us stand back, scratch our heads and say WTF?

SEB ROSS

Morris reported last month that Ross is weighing up his future after being underwhelmed with St Kilda’s two-year offer that includes a trigger for a third season.

If Ross does opt to explore his options, he’ll be one of several uncontracted inside midfielders on the hunt for new homes including Luke Dunstan and Will Brodie.

“(Ross) Wants more than two years with a trigger for a third. There’s not a lot of interest for him at the moment,” Morris said.

JACK BILLINGS

Morris also reported last month that Billings is weighing up signing a four-year extension from the Saints on reduced money to his current contract, naming Port Adelaide as a potential suitor if he decided to test the market.

Billings is coming off an indifferent 2021 season, averaging 20 disposals per game – his worse return since his debut season when scaling numbers from 2020’s shortened games – before a hamstring injury prematurely ended his campaign.

Alas, the 26-year old is expected to remain at Moorabbin.

“We think Jack Billings will stay on a four-year deal at the Saints,” Morris said.

[PLAYERCARD]Jack Billings[/PLAYERCARD] and Seb Ross remain without deals for 2022 (Picture: Michael Klein)
I feel a bit sad for Ross that he's not had any interest, and sadder for our club that we'll probably end up retaining him. Hopefully he gets demoted to depth and is not a lock for the starting line up next year, ditto Gears.

Billings is weird, I really hope a club comes in for him, he really does need a fresh start and we need to wipe the slate. He'll never be more than an occasional highlight for us, I don't see how we turn him to a matchwinner or a real leader. If he stays, he has to be dropped from the leadership group, ditto Ross.

We should have punted both 2 years ago.

The problem is we NEED a KPD. As we don't really have anything to trade with we've got to look through the bin again.

It's not really a problem because we've lost Jake, Chip and Robbo, plus Brownie last year and having kids only is poor policy.
I think the concept of 2 big bodied defenders is getting replaced with mobile intercept types that can work as a team. Highmore is probably the guy that best fits our needs so I’d prefer we just stick to that strategy rather than look to pick any KPDs.
Plus we still have Joyce.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back