Game Day 2022 AFL Grand Final : Geelong v Sydney

Remove this Banner Ad

He‘s entitled to be pissed off.
It’s as if Geelong has done a deal with the AFL so that the holding the ball, dropping the ball, one handed handball doesn’t apply to them.
I couldn’t believe what Geelong got away with last night - except I could because they get that free treatment regularly.
And now he won't get anything

Drives me absolutely mad the leeway some AFL teams get from the umpires.
You have to go back to 2013 to find a season where the bulldogs have a negative free kick differential. In that time Hawthorn had 5 negative seasons and one exactly even.

Hawkers, bad couple results this weekend with the qualifying finals.

Here’s a great statistic:

Between 2000-2015 the qualifying final winners won their prelim finals 75% of the time. They both lost their prelim 0% of the time.

Since the introduction of the pre-finals bye the qualifying final winners won their prelim finals 20% of the time and both lost their prelim finals 40% of the time.

You have to go back to 2013 to find a season where the bulldogs have a negative free kick differential. In that time Hawthorn had 5 negative seasons and one exactly even.

Yet that year we had like a couple of crucial 50/50 calls go our way a few weeks in a row and it was all ‘FrEeKicKHaWtHoRn’ not only in social media but the actual media as well. Yet the Dogs build a gameplan around favourable umpiring and nobody says boo about it.

Unhappy with the Cats result (though they will now need to beat Melbourne at the G in a prelim). But as a viewer the quality of all 4 finals was really top shelf. One of the best weeks of footy in a long time. We have definitely moved past that rotten Richmond brand that dominated the sport for a few things after our era.

Despite close results, I reckon the quality of football has dropped noticeably every year for over a decade. That Geelong was two games ahead on top of the ladder, and watching them barely beat the Pies tells you everything you need to know about how shit the game is to watch these days.

The Hawks Threepeat team was a standout in terms of quality. The AFL hated it. If one team plays a high quality style of football, and the other team is bad, you get a drubbing. If both teams are bad, you're more likely to get close results. The AFL solution? Reward low-skill high-intensity, and change the rules to advantage clearance teams to aid quick scoring.

Football these days is a reward for effort, not skill, which umpiring "interpretations" can influence, and do with predictable bias. It's partly a response to more structured and disciplined defensive tactics, of course. But the rule changes have been reactive, ill-thought through, and detrimental to the overall game. Umpiring grey areas are larger and more impactful than ever.

Footy is sh!t to watch these days, despite the players being faster, taller and stronger. Which is why Dustin Martin and other exceptional players stand out so clearly, because the rest have such mediocre skills and have little incentive to improve.

Yes, you can accuse me of shaking my fist at the clouds and ranting about the good old days. But while the players' physical attributes have improved dramatically in the last decade or two, the standard of footy is well below where it should be.

The answer is to reduce the umpiring grey areas, stop fiddling with the rules, and take away the most egregious changes — third man up, stand the mark, 6-6-6, deliberate out of bounds — and improve the incorrect disposal/prior opportunity farce.

/rant

Last edited:
The answer is to reduce the umpiring grey areas, stop fiddling with the rules, and take away the most egregious changes — third man up, stand the mark, 6-6-6, deliberate out of bounds — and improve the incorrect disposal/prior opportunity farce.

/rant
I agree with them rolling back rule changes. The third man up was a great tool to ease congestion, and a lot of clubs used a spare back to attack and not just defend.

Yet that year we had like a couple of crucial 50/50 calls go our way a few weeks in a row and it was all ‘FrEeKicKHaWtHoRn’ not only in social media but the actual media as well. Yet the Dogs build a gameplan around favourable umpiring and nobody says boo about it.
That was started be BS journo Sam Landsberger who is fun fact son of one of the Bulldogs medics Jake Landsberger

He‘s entitled to be pissed off.
It’s as if Geelong has done a deal with the AFL so that the holding the ball, dropping the ball, one handed handball doesn’t apply to them.
I couldn’t believe what Geelong got away with last night - except I could because they get that free treatment regularly.
I agree. Reminded me of Clarko saying the same thing years ago

Interesting that good finals players are still the old players: pendlebury side bottom neale selwood Mitch Duncan Luke Parker. The pool of talent coming through is not really pushing them out yet

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting that good finals players are still the old players: pendlebury side bottom neale selwood Mitch Duncan Luke Parker. The pool of talent coming through is not really pushing them out yet
Yes and no. Good players will always be good players. But the Daicos brothers were great, Brayshaw, Serong and Young were great for Freo. All Sydneys kids did their job - Warner was quiet but he is a star in the making.

Despite close results, I reckon the quality of football has dropped noticeably every year for over a decade. That Geelong was two games ahead on top of the ladder, and watching them barely beat the Pies tells you everything you need to know about how s**t the game is to watch these days.

The Hawks Threepeat team was a standout in terms of quality. The AFL hated it. If one team plays a high quality style of football, and the other team is bad, you get a drubbing. If both teams are bad, you're more likely to get close results. The AFL solution? Reward low-skill high-intensity, and change the rules to advantage clearance teams to aid quick scoring.

Football these days is a reward for effort, not skill, which umpiring "interpretations" can influence, and do with predictable bias. It's partly a response to more structured and disciplined defensive tactics, of course. But the rule changes have been reactive, ill-thought through, and detrimental to the overall game. Umpiring grey areas are larger and more impactful than ever.

Footys is sh!t to watch these days, despite the players being faster, taller and stronger. Which is why Dustin Martin and other exceptional players stand out so clearly, because the rest have such mediocre skills and have little incentive to improve.

Yes, you can accuse me of shaking my fist at the clouds and ranting about the good old days. But while the players' physical attributes have improved dramatically in the last decade or two, the standard of footy is well below where it should be.

/rant
I ****ing hate the interpretation of the HTB and incorrect disposal rule. It is a joke that players can simply let go of the ball and it "accidentally" spills out to a teammate running past at full speed.

You either handball it or you kick. If it comes out any other way you have either dropped it (incorrect disposal) or thrown it (incorrect disposal).

But they call nothing - gotta keep the game moving :rolleyes:

This is the actual rule and it is wrong. (b) has to be taken out of the rule. If a tackle causes the ball to come free that is a good tackle and should be rewarded.

Screen Shot 2022-09-05 at 2.11.16 pm.png

Kind of hope that the swans win it all just so there’s a whole new level of focus brought onto their academy.

I think the value of size and strength is underrated in the AFL.

It's why sides like Geelong, Pies, Swans are doing so well. They all have battle hardened, physically powerfull veterans still performing at a high level.

We really need a focus on building the size and strength across our playing group.

I know we want the AFL to regress back to a more skillful game but I can't see it happening and we need to adapt to the reality that contested footy wins matches these days. And to do that you need size and strength.

It's why sides like Geelong, Pies, Swans are doing so well. They all have battle hardened, physically powerfull veterans still performing at a high level.

We really need a focus on building the size and strength across our playing group.

I know we want the AFL to regress back to a more skillful game but I can't see it happening and we need to adapt to the reality that contested footy wins matches these days. And to do that you need size and strength.

Agree. Contested football is easier when you have a lot of bulls in the side.

And this is where the Hawks 13-15 team is massively underrated.

Opposition supporters whine and moan that the Hawks played a keepings off non contested brand. When they did that they did it because they could - because they were that skilful they could pull it off.

But at the same time they could go with anyone when it came to contested footy. Hodge, Burgoyne, Lewis, Mitchell, Rough, Birch, Lake, etc. were not taking a backward step to anyone. But they never get this credit.

Geelong 07-11 was the same, and Brisbane. Highly skilled but tough as nails as well. Richmond were never highly skilled.

Hawkers, bad couple results this weekend with the qualifying finals.

Here’s a great statistic:

Between 2000-2015 the qualifying final winners won their prelim finals 75% of the time. They both lost their prelim 0% of the time.

Since the introduction of the pre-finals bye the qualifying final winners won their prelim finals 20% of the time and both lost their prelim finals 40% of the time.

Another unnecessary intervention by the AFL. Reward less match fit teams with physically strong midfields. The same teams taking advantage of the dubious umpiring.

If you didn't know any better, you'd think the clowns reacted to Clarko saying we have to plan, train and prepare carefully, to be primed and peaking for finals, not before.

I ******* hate the interpretation of the HTB and incorrect disposal rule. It is a joke that players can simply let go of the ball and it "accidentally" spills out to a teammate running past at full speed.

What if we made the game non-tackling? And when the ball carrier is touched, they can simply throw the ball to a teammate. It would really simplify the unmpiring caper.

The rules might need a little adjusting though, so you have to throw the ball backwards (not forwards, so as not to gain too much advantage). Without handballing, you probably don't need to keep the skill of kicking the ball around, so you could simply touch the ball down behind the goal line for 6 pts.

Whaddya reckon? Should be able to sort out the details in time for the GF?

And this is where the Hawks 13-15 team is massively underrated.

Opposition supporters whine and moan that the Hawks played a keepings off non contested brand. When they did that they did it because they could - because they were that skilful they could pull it off.

But at the same time they could go with anyone when it came to contested footy. Hodge, Burgoyne, Lewis, Mitchell, Rough, Birch, Lake, etc. were not taking a backward step to anyone. But they never get this credit.

Geelong 07-11 was the same, and Brisbane. Highly skilled but tough as nails as well. Richmond were never highly skilled.
Hawthorn would comprehensively thrash this Richmond side. Far too skilful, silky and smooth moving, aswell as being a hard nosed pressure team.

Regress is not the word you were looking for, 'revert' perhaps?

The AFL has done nothing but regress the game in their pandering to a fictional TV viewer who doesn't know the rules, doesn't appreciate real football skill, and just wants to see large men give each other concussion.

Remove this Banner Ad

Game Day 2022 AFL Grand Final : Geelong v Sydney

Remove this Banner Ad

Back