Player Watch 2022 AFL National Draft Discussion - read the pinned post

Who will you be happy with Hawthorn selecting with their first pick?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
National AFL draft Monday November 28(first round only).
All other selections to be held on Tuesday November 29.
The pre-season and rookie drafts will then take place at 3pm (AEST) on Wednesday November 30.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Does the Cooper Stephens acquisition change our line of thinking at all? Considering his strengths are centred around being an inside distributor does that mean a player like Clark becomes less attractive to us? Not a similar player necessarily, but it certainly makes me think a mid more capable of playing outside with some dynamic athletic traits is what we'll be seeking.

The Phillipou rumours might hold some weight now.
Stephens is pretty speculative. Can’t see him changing what we do with our first pick at all.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Even with out trading our pick 41 will come into 36 after bids, also a chance we could end up with Essendons Future second
If we upgrade then fair enough but if we don't then we won't really use those picks

Brisbane can't trade 2023 picks and we're the only club with multiple picks in the 40's

On SM-G955F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Does Brisbane have to have open list spots equal to the draft picks they take/trade in for points?

Eg. Could we package 48, 50, 52 (821 points - requiring Brisbane to have an extra 2 list spots on top of the 7 picks they hold) for Brisbane's Pick 34 (542 points)?

Does Brisbane have to have open list spots equal to the draft picks they take/trade in for points?

Eg. Could we package 48, 50, 52 (821 points - requiring Brisbane to have an extra 2 list spots on top of the 7 picks they hold) for Brisbane's Pick 34 (542 points)?
I don’t think brisbane can do that u til after Ashcroft has been taken as there is a limit on taking live picks into the draft ie you can only trade picks for which you have a list place. It’s possible that you can make the trade after the draft has started but as Ashcroft is going pick 1, I don’t know how that is going to work! Hopefully we can target essendons pick 22.

We’re the main option for Brisbane to trade with to get more points.. I’d rather we tried to get our hands on 2 of their 3 x future 3rds as opposed to just going up a few spots (not much difference between pick 34 & 41 when their picks get swallowed up in the bid)

Hawks - Future 3rd (Dogs), Future 3rd (Cats)
Lions - pick ~50, pick 65, Future 4th (Lions)

Then to see if we can work with Essendon on picks 48 & 52 to get some value back..

MM must’ve worked out a plan with the later picks because I read somewhere Wrighty saying Mitchell for a 2nd rounder was basically done until very late when it all moved around.. quote below

“It sort of happened around 7:00pm (Wednesday night) that it started to come together. We thought the Mitchell deal would be a possibility with (a second round pick)… then Cooper Stephens obviously wanting to get to Hawthorn,” Wright told AFL Trade Radio after the trade period had concluded.

Last edited:
I don’t think brisbane can do that u til after Ashcroft has been taken as there is a limit on taking live picks into the draft ie you can only trade picks for which you have a list place. It’s possible that you can make the trade after the draft has started but as Ashcroft is going pick 1, I don’t know how that is going to work! Hopefully we can target essendons pick 22.
Didn't it change a year or two ago? About the same year that Sydney had 2-3 Academy Players available, but not enough List spots available to hold the handful of picks they required.

It was the DGB year, from memory. They had Campbell, Goulden & maybe another freebie available.

It's quite likely that I'm just remembering it incorrectly, but I seem to recall the rule changing such that you didn't require open List spots to hold live Draft Picks.

We've traded out two of our three best midfielders and brought in Stephens. The midfield is more of an issue now.

There is absolutely no way Stephens changes our draft strategy in terms of bringing a midfielder in - unless you're suggesting that Stephens is the answer to all of our midfield issues?

Given Stephens is a big bodies contested midfielder not known for his pace or kicking skills I'd say that there's still a large issue to address. If he in any way impacts our drafting then I imagine it would be us not considering a player like Clark over players like Mackenzie, Humphrey or Phillipou.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back