Player Watch 2022 AFL National Draft Discussion - read the pinned post

Who will you be happy with Hawthorn selecting with their first pick?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
National AFL draft Monday November 28(first round only).
All other selections to be held on Tuesday November 29.
The pre-season and rookie drafts will then take place at 3pm (AEST) on Wednesday November 30.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Need to pick up Matthew Jefferson some how replacing Gunston

I love him except for how easily I've seen him pushed off the contest. Hopefully it's just a lack of strength but I've seen lack of mongrel halt too many talented wirey tall forwards in the last 10 years. Didn't see his NAB league but I wish I saw some scrappiness in him at the champs.

His marking, vision, kicking and clean touch are great. Not sure I'd bother with any key talks this year other than him, Cadman or Keeler. Not including Greuzewski as a key tall.

I love him except for how easily I've seen him pushed off the contest. Hopefully it's just a lack of strength but I've seen lack of mongrel halt too many talented wirey tall forwards in the last 10 years. Didn't see his NAB league but I wish I saw some scrappiness in him at the champs.

His marking, vision, kicking and clean touch are great. Not sure I'd bother with any key talks this year other than him, Cadman or Keeler. Not including Greuzewski as a key tall.
You need to have a bit of campaigner in you to be an elite key forward

Watching Tsatas highlight. Seems to be a bit of a butcher
I would let someone else draft him, we have Amon and Morrison anyway

Phillipou or Mackenzie, is the play imo, Humphrey is a better mid than forward imo, if we go Humphrey I'm hoping it's for his midfield explosiveness, Ginbey is similar to Cooper Stephens although Coopers a better goal kicker from what I can remember in his draft yr, they are my thoughts on pick 6 for us.

What has happened to kids kicking these days?

It's becoming a lost art.

Players touted as top 10 this year that have been mentioned as having questionable kicking:

Tsatas
Clark
Ginbey
Humphrey
Wardlaw

What has happened to kids kicking these days?

It's becoming a lost art.

Players touted as top 10 this year that have been mentioned as having questionable kicking:

Tsatas
Clark
Ginbey
Humphrey
Wardlaw
It's just a weak draft IMO.
Always a drop off from a good year.

One really interesting scenario is if Essendon take Humphrey with 5.
If Gold Coast see Tsatas as a flight risk he might slip to us (I have heard they like Ginbey). And he's one that I see with massive upside, even if he hasn't developed in certain aspects this year (e.g. kicking).
Yeh I thought about this. Word is gold coast are after a bigger bodied mid. I think they will take Humphrey if he is on the board.
Big call between Tsatas, ginbey and Clark for them if Humphrey is gone. Still think it's a lower chance.

Likely goes
Cadman
Sheezel
Wardlaw
Tsatas
Humphrey

With us choosing between
Clark, McKenzie, ginbey

Yeh I thought about this. Word is gold coast are after a bigger bodied mid. I think they will take Humphrey if he is on the board.
Big call between Tsatas, ginbey and Clark for them if Humphrey is gone. Still think it's a lower chance.

Likely goes
Cadman
Sheezel
Wardlaw
Tsatas
Humphrey

With us choosing between
Clark, McKenzie, ginbey
And Matteas.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm still convinced we should be picking Phillipou (despite it being 7 picks later than he would like)
192cm Mid-Fwds do not grow on trees, and we need more mids which can be damaging foward of centre.

It's hard to argue with this, at this stage it does look like he could evolve into being an A+ grader if the hunger and drive of someone like Jhye Clark is inherit in his makeup, or can develop.

Last edited:
Ginbey a Shane Tuck with better skills.
Phillipou probably classier, not as explosive/agile?

I wouldn't be disappointed with either, but I would like the latter.
Class is hard to find.

From Knightmare's espn draft

https://www.espn.com.au/afl/story/_...draft-espn-three-round-breakdown-************

7. Hawthorn - Cameron Mackenzie (St Kilda NGA) - Sandringham Dragons (VIC)
Despite being a Saints Academy prospect, St Kilda will not have first access to Mackenzie as bids for Next-Generation Academy prospects can no longer be matched inside the top 40. A balanced and well-rounded midfielder, Mackenzie is a strong contested ball winner and is equally adept receiving the ball on the move at stoppages, where he displays quickness and evasion. He also hurts the opposition by foot by placing his kicks out in front of his targets to lead onto.

26. Hawthorn - Isaac Keeler (Adelaide NGA) - North Adelaide (SA)
Part of Adelaide's Next-Generation Academy, the Crows will not have first access to Keeler if a bid is placed on him inside the top 40. A high-leaping, smooth moving athlete at 198cm, Keeler is dangerous around goal, can push high up the field, and displays impressive one-touch cleanliness at ground level. Arguably 2022's most freakish key forward, Keeler is also able to provide relieving minutes through the ruck.

40. Hawthorn - Jakob Ryan - Glenelg (SA)
A well-rounded medium defender, Ryan's greatest strength is his intercepting capabilities. Able to take intercept marks and win intercept possessions at ground level, Ryan is a capable rebounder from defence and can generate drive both by foot and with his run and carry.

48. Hawthorn - Adam D'Aloia - Woodville-West Torrens (SA)
South Australia's MVP during the Under-18 Championships, D'Aloia is a stoppage star who does his best work in close. One of this year's most advanced and productive midfielders, D'Aloia plays a competitive two-way game, is a strong contested ball winner and tackler who distributes well by hand.

52. Hawthorn - Cooper Vickery (Hawthorn NGA) - Gippsland Power (VIC)
A versatile and damaging footballer, Vickery is a Hawthorn Next-Generation Academy prospect who displays the versatility to play in defence, up forward and through the midfield. A damaging footballer, Vickery impacts games with his run and penetrating kicking.

On SM-A125F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Ginbey

Or

The poo

Ginbey for mine. Kid's an animal

ok, I have changed my mind again. As has been said, there will be a very good option for us, but those Ginbey highlights are impressive. Does a lot of good work forward and is unselfish.

Happy with Poo as well, but does he have a touch of the 'Burton' about him?

With player retention on everyone's minds, this could eventuate. But remember, some of Gold Coast's best players are currently:

Touk Miller - VICM Calder Cannons
Noah Anderson - VICM Oakleigh
Matt Rowell - VICM Oakleigh
Ben King - VICM Sandringham
Brandon Ellis - VICM Calder Cannons

They don't get better by compromising on talent, especially not Metro talent.

Those 5 are being paid massive $$$ to stay. It's a f&$ked strategy and impossible to maintain. What happened to Bowes will continue to happen.

Ginbey

Or

The poo

Ginbey for mine. Kid's an animal

Ginbey is impressive but the pou is all class and is great overhead. And that goal from 60m is very impressive. Imagine him as a midfield matchup that slides in and marks just inside fifty? Be very hard to stop that. I’m on the pou train now. Huge upside to his game. Still cool if we take McKenzie. And ginbey certainly has enticing attributes.

In all seriousness if I'm Norf I'm taking Wardlaw and Tsatas - no more BS - just the two best out and out mids this year then the best key position players next year.
Yep. In the minority but reckon ginbey could be the best for us.

That centre clearence he hits at speed is exactly what we need.

Going off the highlights (yes only highlights) are the concerns on his kicking overrated?
I'm starting to lean this way too. Gives off Clayton Oliver vibes. You can argue we have similar players in Newcombe and Worpel but I think Gibney will make them better.

Pretty dumb I know just to judge on short highlight packages but not sold on Ginbey reminds me a bit of a Mitch Robinson type takes the ball on his chest and seems would be good at under 18 level based on size alone. Phillipou highlights seem a class above takes the ball clean out in front and can kick. I'd take class over grunt everytime picking 18 year olds

ok, I have changed my mind again. As has been said, there will be a very good option for us, but those Ginbey highlights are impressive. Does a lot of good work forward and is unselfish.

Happy with Poo as well, but does he have a touch of the 'Burton' about him?

Explain what you mean by that?

Do you know that his team mates don't particularly like him and that he carried himself in a way that puts off people around his club?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back