Player Watch 2022 AFL National Draft Discussion - read the pinned post

Who will you be happy with Hawthorn selecting with their first pick?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
National AFL draft Monday November 28(first round only).
All other selections to be held on Tuesday November 29.
The pre-season and rookie drafts will then take place at 3pm (AEST) on Wednesday November 30.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

SYL, if you don’t think that I’ve looked back on the time he was drafted and his career in partial with going back to enjoy old footy you’d be kidding yourself.

Burton was similar in a newer sense.

Is that a reason to s**t on someone nobody knows?

You’d be old enough to remember the “don’t say anything if you don’t have anything nice to say”.

Determining whether Phillipou is confident in his own abilities while still being grounded enough, or whether it’s plain cockiness is a hard thing to judge when you don’t know who that person is, the clubs would know enough aswell through their interviews, though they can make mistakes, people are only guessing here, you can say what you think without being disrespectful or rude about it.
Who’s being disrespectful or rude about it?

No one.

Heraldsun has us strongly linked to humper.
Meme Reaction GIF

I don’t remember Bud having any major red flags with ego prior to his drafting, but perhaps you guys remember differently?

I remember going to a family day at Glenferrie and all the players giving my children autographs and being nice except Lance Franklin who was standoffish and didn’t even want to look at us that was my personal experience with him and after that I wasn’t too sorry to see him leave

I remember going to a family day at Glenferrie and all the players giving my children autographs and being nice except Lance Franklin who was standoffish and didn’t even want to look at us that was my personal experience with him and after that I wasn’t too sorry to see him leave
Every single time I’ve seen Lance in his personal time he has stopped to take a picture and sign an autograph for my son.
He is fantastic with kids and everyone is allowed to have some off days.
I was spewing when he left. Absolutely brilliant footballer.

Every single time I’ve seen Lance in his personal time he has stopped to take a picture and sign an autograph for my son.
He is fantastic with kids and everyone is allowed to have some off days.
I was spewing when he left. Absolutely brilliant footballer.
Everyone has different experiences with different people to me and my family he was rude and arrogant I’m glad he was good to you and yours I’m just saying my experience with the man was not good. But at the time he was young and and the fame of being one of the best of all time had gone to his head in my opinion. I’m glad he left it didn’t hurt the team 1 bit

He was very sure of himself and was known to be a trouble maker. Meant nothing in the end though.
My memory of him was that he was quite shy and avoided speaking to the media for years. No doubt sure of himself on the field but seemed far less so off it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Everyone has different experiences with different people to me and my family he was rude and arrogant I’m glad he was good to you and yours I’m just saying my experience with the man was not good. But at the time he was young and and the fame of being one of the best of all time had gone to his head in my opinion. I’m glad he left it didn’t hurt the team 1 bit

I think it's safe to say we became a better side after he left; winning another two premierships and all.

He was quote as saying at the draft camp, to the question If you could change anything about yourself what would it be?

“Nothing.”

If he meant, literally, ‘himself’, that’s a great response. If he meant as a footballer, yeah that seems arrogant for a young player.

Lance is introverted and is never going to be a natural in big groups. Sorry you had a bad experience especially with your kids. I met him randomly at a friends wedding, he was absolutely lovely. Celebrity is hard on most people and we don’t know what people are going through or who they really are.

Personally, at Hawthorn I think we could be a bit more open to players being themselves rather than squeezing them into a fairly unrealistic model of humble, extroverted, diplomatic and always doing what everyone expects, all of the time. I’m as hopeful as ever if this under Sam.

Lance is introverted and is never going to be a natural in big groups. Sorry you had a bad experience especially with your kids. I met him randomly at a friends wedding, he was absolutely lovely. Celebrity is hard on most people and we don’t know what people are going through or who they really are.

Personally, at Hawthorn I think we could be a bit more open to players being themselves rather than squeezing them into a fairly unrealistic model of humble, extroverted, diplomatic and always doing what everyone expects, all of the time. I’m as hopeful as ever if this under Sam.
Also worth remembering that Buddy wasn't just any old player. He was the biggest name in the game and was hounded everywhere he went in Melbourne.

Last edited:
I don’t remember Bud having any major red flags with ego prior to his drafting, but perhaps you guys remember differently?

Definitely came across as over-confident and apparently that's why Richmond was off him. Full story is here - but Bucky definitely mentions him being over-confident but us having no issue with it:

Modern sport is littered with people widely admired for being supremely confident in their abilities. Jordan, Bird, Warne, Waugh etc. Not sure why when you are an 18 year old kid it is seen as some horrible thing. This answer he gives in the interview might sound cocky but he's absolutely right - if you want to make it you have to back yourself in and have full confidence in your abilities:

Asked which player he’d take if he had Pick 1, he said: “I think I‘d have to say myself, just because I think if you’re not going to back yourself, you probably don’t have the confidence required to play in the league.”

If he is on the board at our pick I hope we don't get scared off just because he rates himself a bit. Considering the youth of our team next year it wouldn't hurt to have a kid who already thinks he belongs in the side.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back