Player Watch 2022 AFL National Draft Discussion - read the pinned post

Who will you be happy with Hawthorn selecting with their first pick?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
National AFL draft Monday November 28(first round only).
All other selections to be held on Tuesday November 29.
The pre-season and rookie drafts will then take place at 3pm (AEST) on Wednesday November 30.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

After seeing Serong and Brayshaw grind the Doggies down I'm warming towards Clark. There's still a place in modern football for a good old fashioned footballers' footballer.

After seeing Serong and Brayshaw grind the Doggies down I'm warming towards Clark. There's still a place in modern football for a good old fashioned footballers' footballer.
Exactly. Today's average player is so talented that skill no longer necessarily determines success. What wins out is the will to win. Clark has that in spades.

Exactly. Today's average player is so talented that skill no longer necessarily determines success. What wins out is the will to win. Clark has that in spades.
Yep, give me a midfielder with a will to get to every contest over one who looks flashy in open play. Brayshaw and Serong are not the most skilled but they are work horses all game. We need as many combative mids as we can get. We are shocking at clearance and it should be our number 1 priority.

Yep, give me a midfielder with a will to get to every contest over one who looks flashy in open play. Brayshaw and Serong are not the most skilled but they are work horses all game. We need as many combative mids as we can get. We are shocking at clearance and it should be our number 1 priority.
Let's see if that's enough to get them to a premiership.

Definitely don't disagree, but would be nice to get a Callaghan/Pendlebury type who has that same hunger though. Clark definitely not that guy, though is is super combative and hungry in the vein of a few we were blessed with recently, including the great Luke Hodge.

The former not exactly growing on trees, but a couple of Callaghan comparisons with a few highly rated guys such as Tsatsas. Seeing some of the sidesteps from Pendles even at his age makes you realize, winning the ball in tight and having an ability to be Brad Sewell level untackleable with a sidestep that makes everyone on the park miss... renders most athletic issues null and void.

Don't need to be huge or fast if you can step everyone else on the park in close.

Pendles a good size/height himself, which doesn't hurt. But he's never been quick, just quick enough to get by.

I think we're missing a smooth moving type in close with skill as much as we are a competitor like Clark. We already have Titch and Worpel on that front.

Last edited:
We need the best mid we can get.

Exactly. We need to pick the best mid available with our first pick ( wherever that ends up), whether or not he fits our “ideal” needs.

I think we need someone who is clean first and foremost. I'd bet we go with the best, cleanest player available - we drafted guys like that last year.

I’m not sure who I’ve been watching then cause Serong oozes class and skill. Would absolutely love him at the Hawks

We need the best mid we can get.

If Clark ends up being the best mid we can get I am having no complaints.

I'd love a Tsastas, Wardlaw, Sheezel but if Clark is the consolation prize so be it.

Ward + Clark can be our Brayshaw Serong going forward.

Interesting, because in my eyes this year's top-end talent doesn't excite me any more than last year and certainly not compared to next year. The questions around Wardlaw's injury history and versatility, Tsatas's effectiveness by disposal and defensive efforts, Cadman's disposal and goal kicking, Sheezel's upside as a midfielder, and Clark's athleticism and versatility are all there. Every year we all praise the top end of the draft as the second comings of all the greatest stars and every year there are disappointments and surprises. Next year we have a veritable smorgasbord of powerful forwards who play through the midfield with Harley Reid, Duursma, Caddy, Frangalas, and Koltyn Tholstrup. While there's still plenty of time to play out until next year, and all have big questions attached to them, I don't think they are any less productive than this year's crop. They'll have an extra season of state-level experience, a full u18s uninterrupted by covid, and another year of heightened drafting practices and scrutiny on top. Is Reid going to be better than Wardlaw? I don't know, but mortgaging our future or overpaying in talent for a player we can draft now is a dangerous game that has come back to bite many teams in the past. It makes sense when a team with pick one needs more talent around the ground and splits for two top 15 picks, but picks one and two this year are not that far off pick 6 and certainly not a whole DGB worth off. We aren't looking at a Hodgey/Judd/Ball situation. Take Clark, Humphrey, Mackenzie, or Cadman and build internal systems to develop players effectively rather than overpay for prospects with only a margin more talent.
I agree. Although Tsatas and Wardlaw are top talents, I wouldn't spend a lot of draft capital on them if we wanted them. Clark, Humphery, Mackenzie, and Cadman will be top players, and I don't believe Tsatas and Wardlaw are much better. Harry Sheezel is an excellent player, but as you point out in this comment, the draft class of 2023 is stronger than the one from this season, and there are many forward-midfielders and taller top-end talent at the top of the class.

I'm resting easy knowing whoever we get, whether it's at 6 or 2 we are going to give us the best chance to pick an absolute gun.

McKenzie hasn't let me down so far.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sheezel still a chance to fall to us, rather disappointing today with 2 goals but only 5 disposals and a little lack of his class, got a shot smothered when he tried to rush it but followed up with a defensive effort so it was ultimately a goal anyway. He hasn't played up the ground in quite a while, Sandy coaches might be trying to do us a favour.

Cam Mackenzie was great, very smooth in traffic and took some strong marks in packs. 24 disposals, 5 marks, 4 tackles 9 i50s.

Sheezel still a chance to fall to us, rather disappointing today with 2 goals but only 5 disposals and a little lack of his class, got a shot smothered when he tried to rush it but followed up with a defensive effort so it was ultimately a goal anyway. He hasn't played up the ground in quite a while, Sandy coaches might be trying to do us a favour.

Cam Mackenzie was great, very smooth in traffic and took some strong marks in packs. 24 disposals, 5 marks, 4 tackles 9 i50s.

He's tanking for us

Doesn't really add any new information, but another set of eyes on this draft class. Some very interesting player comparisons, I especially like Busslinger as "taller Ridley" despite only being 1cm taller.

Doesn't really add any new information, but another set of eyes on this draft class. Some very interesting player comparisons, I especially like Busslinger as "taller Ridley" despite only being 1cm taller.
Humphrey and Bailey Smith 🤔

Understandable, both will end up at a Melbourne club with pick 7 and go on to be the best player in their class.
Both have mullets too, I was a fool not to see it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back