Player Watch 2022 AFL National Draft Discussion - read the pinned post

Who will you be happy with Hawthorn selecting with their first pick?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
National AFL draft Monday November 28(first round only).
All other selections to be held on Tuesday November 29.
The pre-season and rookie drafts will then take place at 3pm (AEST) on Wednesday November 30.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Black Friday GIF
Not bad Bris, made me chuckle

Will Mc Cabe will be playing.
He's on the list, only time will tell but you would assume he doesn't pull out.

I haven't seen any footage of him, but from the whispers, he could end up a top-10 talent or fall out of the draft entirely. Very rangey and athletic player who sounds like he just needs the tools to come together and play some senior footy. All I can say is I hope we get our turn at a double lick of the ice cream. Gimme Reid/Caddy/Durrsma + My draft compromiser, please.

Jacob Konstanty: 176cm - 70kgs - Small Forward

Poppy with a hint of Chad mixed in for good measure, Konstanty is an elusive and lighting-paced forward with offensive nous who exudes pressure in the forward line. He isn't strong, but he will chase down anyone who gives him the chance. With a magnet in his head pointed straight to the goals he has become an excitement machine for Gippsland. He has shown some potential as a midfielder, but with his frame, I'd be worried if he was playing whole games there. Like a lot of smaller forwards, he is prone to off days, but he always seems to get a goal somehow. His talent is undeniable, but I'm skeptical as to whether he can perform as an AFL midfielder. As a forward he'd provide great x-factor, especially if Brockman leaves.

Read that he's averaged 6 tackles a game this season, would certainly fill a need!

Still like the sound of Humphrey…but couldn’t be too disappointed with Jhye. Looks pretty handy on both feet!

You pair him and Ward and things are starting to fall into place.

Jhye Clark's performance against South Australia in the U18 National Championships will forever be fixed in my head. His leadership and desire for victory were the reason Vic Country won. He reminds me of the likes of Andrew Brayshaw, Joel Selwood and Jacob Hopper in how he goes about the game. He's a coach's dream player as he will always put in maximum effort and thrives in having to do all the nitty gritty parts of the game. He will chase down anyone as his will to win is like very few other players. While he's not the most skilled player, you always know what you'll receive from Clark. He can also chip in with a goal on a reasonably consistent basis. He would be a great pick, improving our midfield significantly and could well be a potential future captain.

Jhye Clark's performance against South Australia in the U18 National Championships will forever be fixed in my head. His leadership and desire for victory were the reason Vic Country won.

That's a big call, it's a pretty compelling prospect when you describe him in these terms.

When I think about our 2008-16 era playing group, I think of the way some players were able to lift the whole team through what they did when they gave their all.Hodge could do this, Burgoyne could do it, Buddy, Cyril, Mitchell et. al. Hawthorn was blessed on that front. Those players who can catch fire themselves and send sparks through their entire team just aren't common.

If Clark is someone like that, I'm less worried about him looking vanilla in comparison to his peers were we to draft him. I believe we already have someone in Ward who is this type of player, at least in terms of consistent output.

Will be interesting to see how the club view him, and if he's who'll they take should the more obvious talent be gone.

My gut reaction was previously we don't need another 180cm ish mid who is borderline vanilla (albeit at a high level), but consistency is their strong suit. We have a relative fleet of them, and history says that they don't play well together. HIs bio reminds me a bit of Phillips from DGB's draft year.

i mentioned Ginbey :p but now that Cal mentions him i guess more people will jump on that train.
Davo-27 - can you expand on your thoughts on ginbey and why we may prefer him over say Humphey/Clark/McKenzie etc or be a good fit for us (Apologies if you’ve done this already)?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Davo-27 - can you expand on your thoughts on ginbey and why we may prefer him over say Humphey/Clark/McKenzie etc or be a good fit for us (Apologies if you’ve done this already)?
He is really quick and agile for a tall midfielder, he loves the tough stuff and has an inside, outside game style, he outshun Hewett in the midfield, Hewett struggled with a tag or just getting tackled and not getting as free as he likes to get, Ginbey isn't a huge accumulator which is a bit of a knock, I personally prefer Clark, Mackenzie and Phillipou(assuming we have pick 7 and the likely targets are taken), but Ginbey is an option at our pick which I've said weeks ago.

He is really quick and agile for a tall midfielder, he loves the tough stuff and has an inside, outside game style, he outshun Hewett in the midfield, Hewett struggled with a tag or just getting tackled and not getting as free as he likes to get, Ginbey isn't a huge accumulator which is a bit of a knock, I personally prefer Clark, Mackenzie and Phillipou(assuming we have pick 7 and the likely targets are taken), but Ginbey is an option at our pick which I've said weeks ago.
I understand you have reservations regarding Humphrey's health, but if you put that aside could you see him with our pick? He's a bursty and powerful player who has the ability to develop at AFL level as a forward while building to a midfield career, and from what I've seen of his kicking form there is nothing structural, just composure and getting a better routine. I can see him struggling to acclimatize to an AFL midfield early on, but he has all the athletic traits to become a superstar.

At this stage, I'm really warming up to Clark especially if Titch gets moved on and he gets into a wing/mid/forward rotation with Ward, CMac and Amon. I'd also like to see how Mackenzie goes as a defensive half-forward, since if we can play close to the Sinclairs and Docherty's of the league early I reckon he'll grow into a far more composed and balanced player at the contest.

I understand you have reservations regarding Humphrey's health, but if you put that aside could you see him with our pick? He's a bursty and powerful player who has the ability to develop at AFL level as a forward while building to a midfield career, and from what I've seen of his kicking form there is nothing structural, just composure and getting a better routine. I can see him struggling to acclimatize to an AFL midfield early on, but he has all the athletic traits to become a superstar.

At this stage, I'm really warming up to Clark especially if Titch gets moved on and he gets into a wing/mid/forward rotation with Ward, CMac and Amon. I'd also like to see how Mackenzie goes as a defensive half-forward, since if we can play close to the Sinclairs and Docherty's of the league early I reckon he'll grow into a far more composed and balanced player at the contest.
i have not seen as much of Humphrey as all the other prospects, i remember seeing him early in the season and i put him in my top 30 in early April(at that stage no one was talking about him, although i read somewhere that in the pre-season Gippsland coaches were talking him up)(ialso want to add Cal Twomey mentioned him as a possible top 10 prior to the champs in June?, so it wasnt a shock when he had him in his top 10 recently), he seemed like a star mid that was missing last year, but i wasnt sure about where to put him, he then got injured, missed the champs which would have been a great test for him, i noticed he went forward for Gippsland and has had a heap of shots at goal, although somewhat inaccurate, i know he looks great in midfield and has a good mark, maybe i need to see more of him?

What about Humphrey? He should be available at our pick. Based on his write-ups he sounds like the ideal player.

Edit: I should have read a few posts up, disregard!

What about Humphrey? He should be available at our pick. Based on his write-ups he sounds like the ideal player.

Edit: I should have read a few posts up, disregard!
Just listened to Bailey speak with Nat & Cal. Very humble lad,who speaks well but still has the confidence to say he loves the physical stuff.
He must have huge upside hardly playing this year,but performing so well of late.
I think he might just explode in the Metro v Country game. Definitely would be happy if he ends up being our first pick.

Just listened to Bailey speak with Nat & Cal. Very humble lad,who speaks well but still has the confidence to say he loves the physical stuff.
He must have huge upside hardly playing this year,but performing so well of late.
I think he might just explode in the Metro v Country game. Definitely would be happy if he ends up being our first pick.

I have a feeling we might be the ones with the most eyes on him that game, If he performs he should be a lock at our pick .

I have a feeling we might be the ones with the most eyes on him that game, If he performs he should be a lock at our pick .

I get the feeling he is a big chance to go before our pick especially if he lights it up in the finals and in the VM vs VC game.

Being from a country town he would also very much appeal to the interstate clubs who pick before us with the go home factor being a lot less.

He does speak very well and has leadership qualities going off that interview.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back