Player Watch 2022 AFL National Draft Discussion - read the pinned post

Who will you be happy with Hawthorn selecting with their first pick?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
National AFL draft Monday November 28(first round only).
All other selections to be held on Tuesday November 29.
The pre-season and rookie drafts will then take place at 3pm (AEST) on Wednesday November 30.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not as fussed by Humprey's kicking action because a full time elite level program will likely help him tweak that over the course of his career.

Plus, we're not drafting a smooth moving midfielder if we select him. An explosive, combative forward/mid has enough other weapons to help his team without needing to be a great kick early days.

Remember Clayton Oliver was regarded as a poor kick for a while as well. He isn't elite but I'd argue he's above average in this area now.

One thing I like most about Humphrey (and Clark) is that they're both smart, driven, and vocal leaders who are clearly mature enough to know their weaknesses and how to improve upon them. It's the same reason we picked up CMac, he had a good head on his shoulders and knew his disposal was something he would need to work with the coaches on. I'd say his preseason showed a massive improvement from his NAB league kicking form, with less sway and more direction to his boot. Watch this (keep a mind that these are highlights and aren't going to show turnovers and missed goals) and you'll see how high his ball drop is and the sway in his goalkicking run-up which is more prevalent in his misses:

In comparison, in his AFL debut (1:15, 1:45, 2:55 for examples of his uncontested kicking) he held the ball lower and kept his arms locked:

It isn't a massive improvement right away, but we've seen all season how sharp CMac's kicking can be around the ground. And while our coaches and an AFL environment certainly help, the right mindset goes a very long way toward improvements. While less of an issue with Clark, Humphrey strikes me as someone who knows what he needs to do and who he needs to listen to to get that done. If he gets a full pre-season in and has the drive to improve I have faith that can hit the ground running with a similar improvement as CMac with his kicking form and hopefully more composure in front of goal. He's a big kick and there isn't anything stopping him from taking another 3 meters to start punching through the ball more than hiking it over the man on the mark.

Just listened to Bailey speak with Nat & Cal. Very humble lad,who speaks well but still has the confidence to say he loves the physical stuff.
He must have huge upside hardly playing this year,but performing so well of late.
I think he might just explode in the Metro v Country game. Definitely would be happy if he ends up being our first pick.
Spoke like a natural leader didn’t he. Also love that he mentioned thriving on the physical stuff.

I'm not as fussed by Humprey's kicking action because a full time elite level program will likely help him tweak that over the course of his career.

Plus, we're not drafting a smooth moving midfielder if we select him. An explosive, combative forward/mid has enough other weapons to help his team without needing to be a great kick early days.

Remember Clayton Oliver was regarded as a poor kick for a while as well. He isn't elite but I'd argue he's above average in this area now.
This is true but i could also give you a list of players who's kicking regresses at AFL level with the added pressure.

This team is crying out for class

There's some more than questionable kicking in that vid.
Devon Robertson vibe.
I thought his kicking to hit up targets was tidy but what a competitor in congestion/pack situations with some nice tap ons, hand balls to a team mates advantage. Looks like he has footy smarts, good overhead and shows plenty of eagerness wanting the ball. At the feet of Reeves could help turn around an area of the ground where we have been getting smacked last few years. Wouldn’t be unhappy if he fell to us but still dreaming that we can somehow snag pick 2 to get Tsatsas or Sheezel

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kicking efficiency is not a problem unique to Humphrey.
There have been negative comments about Tsatas and Wardlaw who are tipped to go top 3. Also Cameron Mackenzie who could be top 6 or 7.

All of those guys have either not had any favors done by whoever chose their highlight reels, or they aren't measuring up to the best kicks at the level.

Hard to know though, everyone can have an off day.

I saw highlights of Sheezel that had me scratching my head early on, then later he looked like the reincarnation of Simon Black, Darren Jarman and Gary Buckenera

All of those guys have either not had any favors done by whoever chose their highlight reels, or they aren't measuring up to the best kicks at the level.

Hard to know though, everyone can have an off day.

I saw highlights of Sheezel that had me scratching my head early on, then later he looked like the reincarnation of Simon Black, Darren Jarman and Gary Buckenera
It's worth noting that GiantRoo doesn't post highlight packages, simply every involvement a player has in a game.
Baseline just posts shit that looks cool in slowmo.

Just a few stats from the Gippsland Northern game from the NAB League app.

Bailey Humphrey: 0.1 26d: 16k 10h, 6m 4t 8i50s
Jacob Konstanty: 1.3 19d: 10k 9h, 6m 7t 1i50s
Cody Burgiel : 0.1 16d: 9k 8h, 2m 3t 2i50s

2023 Draft:
Zane Duursma: 1.2 19d: 12k 7h, 4m 2t 4i50s (Spent a quarter on the pine after a big knock)
Nate Caddy: 1.0 13d: 6k 7h, 4m 2t
Archer Reid: 0.0 10d: 6k 4h, 4m 0t 2i50s

Our Academy kid Josh Bennetts finished up last week when the ranges season ended.
Had 23 disposals and 1.1.

Averaged 18 disposals and over a goal a game, for the year.

Part of me hopes Cadman cools his jets for the remainder.
Seeing Amyss makes me like the idea of taking a top end tall.

Cadman, Tsatas, Sheez, Wardlaw and Phillipou all tickle my fancy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back